• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DIY Insect Repellent

jayboogieman

5-10 drops of peppermint oil per ounce of water. Add drops of witch hazel per drop of peppermint oil. The witch hazel will dilute the peppermint oil. This works well and is cheap to make.

You can also combine peppermint oil with lemon juice and water to create a window cleaner that keeps bugs out.

Pretty sure this is the same concoction my sil brought here back in mid June - and wanted me to try .  Did not work on SE NC skeetoes or the yellow deer flies. And it smells to high heaven - actually gave me a headache.   chiggers or ticks  ?  ?  no idea but I definately would not  trust it over high strength deet or permethrin.

41 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Pretty sure this is the same concoction my sil brought here back in mid June - and wanted me to try .  Did not work on SE NC skeetoes or the yellow deer flies. And it smells to high heaven - actually gave me a headache.   chiggers or ticks  ?  ?  no idea but I definately would not  trust it over high strength deet or permethrin.

This doesn't smell much if any at all and it kept the skeeters away from me when I walked my dog 45 minutes ago.

I am glad it works for you.  I am all in on natural non poisonous products when ever possible.  I try to farm as close to organically as I can, keep several honey bee hives, plant for natural pollinator relief,  and look out for my land and all its inhabitants - most of all those native to the area.  The spray  did not work for me, but I live pretty much in the swamplands of se nc.  A pretty tough proving ground. YMMV

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

I am glad it works for you.  I am all in on natural non poisonous products when ever possible.  I try to farm as close to organically as I can, keep several honey bee hives, plant for natural pollinator relief,  and look out for my land and all its inhabitants - most of all those native to the area.  The spray  did not work for me, but I live pretty much in the swamplands of se nc.  A pretty tough proving ground. YMMV

That's cool.

I've seen some peppermint oil based premade sprays on Amazon that contain other stuff. That might have been what you tried before.

• 3 months later...

I better advise Syngenta Advion Cockroach Gel Bait Source: https://www.pestproducts.com/roach-killer Like most, I found this product through Tiktok. Currently dealing with a nasty infestation via former neighbor so I bit the bullet and bought this gel. This was 4 weeks ago and since then the amount of roaches I've seen daily in my apartment has dropped DRASTICALLY. I'm talking from roaches scurrying on my desk to the lone sluggish roaches trying to find a corner to die in. The problem is not 100% solved but hey, when I'm sweeping up dead dry roaches of all ages scattered around the apartment, I'll take it. I highly recommend this product for anyone in a similar situation because this stuff really does work. 

12 hours ago, JessieJim said:

I better advise Syngenta Advion Cockroach Gel Bait Source: https://www.pestproducts.com/roach-killer Like most, I found this product through Tiktok. Currently dealing with a nasty infestation via former neighbor so I bit the bullet and bought this gel. This was 4 weeks ago and since then the amount of roaches I've seen daily in my apartment has dropped DRASTICALLY. I'm talking from roaches scurrying on my desk to the lone sluggish roaches trying to find a corner to die in. The problem is not 100% solved but hey, when I'm sweeping up dead dry roaches of all ages scattered around the apartment, I'll take it. I highly recommend this product for anyone in a similar situation because this stuff really does work. 

I havent looked at the site yet but good ole drugstore borax mixed with a half and half crisco base works as well - I put borax balls in pet proof areas of my shop and sweep the dead roaches out.  Just make sure the roach pills cant be accessed by your pets.