• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

Kurb

THG is young adult fiction, so it isn't really geared towards adults or all that difficult to read... But the overall concept is pretty cool and original, and that is what is keeping me interested...

It is cool but it is not original, enjoy the first book because it is the best in the series. The 2nd book fell flat and the 3rd one struggled mightily to rise from its ashes.

The only way the book is superior is that it gives a richer historical exposition on the hotel.

But the whole poo about a demon in the furnace (that was probably a fuging alien or some other stupid poo he's abused to death in his books) and the epilogue and the anti-climactic ending where Halloran lives is just horrible.

Seriously, can the dippoo not end a book where the villain isn't some alien spider?

Koontz has better books than Stephen King, and even though he's a soft hack himself, he can at least end a story and come up with an original theme.

I'd never suggest anyone ever read Dean Koontz, but I'd recommend him over King in a heartbeat.

The only way the book is superior is that it gives a richer historical exposition on the hotel.

But the whole poo about a demon in the furnace (that was probably a fuging alien or some other stupid poo he's abused to death in his books) and the epilogue and the anti-climactic ending where Halloran lives is just horrible.

Seriously, can the dippoo not end a book where the villain isn't some alien spider?

Koontz has better books than Stephen King, and even though he's a soft hack himself, he can at least end a story and come up with an original theme.

I'd never suggest anyone ever read Dean Koontz, but I'd recommend him over King in a heartbeat.

definitely agree with that. The shining was the first king book i ever read so it wasn't as hackneyed for me. plus it isn't exactly an "alien spider."

Not a huge fan of the endings in the book or the movie. The historical perspective of the hotel IS the story though and it's something that feels tacked on and detached in the movie.

Nope, the Shining was one of the few books of his I believe he actually based on his own personal experience, and it made the story richer for it.

But I've never read a King book that has ended properly. Maybe the Stand, I dunno. I'm not reading his garbage anymore.

The movie to me is more about the mental degradation of Jack, which is more interesting than some dude in a dog suit giving blowjobs at an aristocrat party.

• 4 weeks later...