• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

Kurb

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know what you think. It isn't so much three stories at it is one long story with three volumes.

Fenris is a badass.

If there is one nitpick about these books is that it didn't spend enough time with Bethod and Fenris because there are no POV characters in their camp.

Also, Glotka and Logen are both awesome characters. Two of my favorites in recent memory.

Finally finished the series. All three were good reads. You're right that they're kind of just three volumes of one book.

The characters were all in a grey area where you root for them but they're all far from perfect. I'll probably read the standalone books he wrote with the trilogy. Have you read those?

Finally finished the series. All three were good reads. You're right that they're kind of just three volumes of one book.

The characters were all in a grey area where you root for them but they're all far from perfect. I'll probably read the standalone books he wrote with the trilogy. Have you read those?

I have read Red Country which I really liked because it had one of my favorite character's story continued. I loved that book. It reads more like a western than fantasy, but it works for that character.

I am currently reading The Heroes. I was really excited about it because it has Black Dow and Dog Man, but I got distracted with some other books and graphic novels and am trying to get back into it. I have read half that book.

I have Best Served Cold but haven't read it yet. It is in the docket though.

I loved Logen Ninefingers and Glotka. Two of my favorite book characters of all time. Some people didn't like the ending, but I actually liked it as it was true to the characters in the book.

The last sentence of the first chapter is the exact last sentence of the last chapter

Bayaz was an interesting character and because you never got a POV chapter you never knew what he was thinking. Luthar grows on you as you get deeper into the story and his character develops.

And there are a ton of interesting side characters throughout the books. Some who become major characters in the standalone books

Just a good read IMO

He also said he is going to eventually release a new trilogy set in this world, but he hasn't said when or how many, if any, of the old characters will be major players in the new books.

It will be a while though because he plans on writing all three books before releasing the first one.

Glad u liked it though.

Who were your favorite characters?

Edited by teeray

I have read Red Country which I really liked because it had one of my favorite character's story continued. I loved that book. It reads more like a western than fantasy, but it works for that character.

I am currently reading The Heroes. I was really excited about it because it has Black Dow and Dog Man, but I got distracted with some other books and graphic novels and am trying to get back into it. I have read half that book.

I have Best Served Cold but haven't read it yet. It is in the docket though.

I loved Logen Ninefingers and Glotka. Two of my favorite book characters of all time. Some people didn't like the ending, but I actually liked it as it was true to the characters in the book.

The last sentence of the first chapter is the exact last sentence of the last chapter

Bayaz was an interesting character and because you never got a POV chapter you never knew what he was thinking. Luthar grows on you as you get deeper into the story and his character develops.

And there are a ton of interesting side characters throughout the books. Some who become major characters in the standalone books

Just a good read IMO

He also said he is going to eventually release a new trilogy set in this world, but he hasn't said when or how many, if any, of the old characters will be major players in the new books.

It will be a while though because he plans on writing all three books before releasing the first one.

Glad u liked it though.

Who were your favorite characters?

My favorite character ended up being Jezal, who I straight up hated at the beginning. His arc was probably my favorite one.

He went from spoiled baby, to moderately spoiled baby on a long trip, to a character who actually cared about others and his subjects and was a genuinely good person.

Thoughts on Logen:

I think the ending here was actually pretty good. I agree that it fit his character to go out like that. On him as a character, he was a good protagonist. He had elements you liked and elements you couldn't like. I couldn't believe he killed Tul Duru and was just like, meh too bad it was The Bloody-Nine, but he seemed throughout the book to really want to be a better person.

Black dow:

Screw Black Dow he's a dick.

Bayaz:

An interesting character. I feel like he had more negative characteristics than positive, but the Union undoubtedly would have gotten smashed without him. He clearly does what he does for the greater good but his God complex was obnoxious to me, even though he was powerful enough to be like that. Even though I wasn't crazy about him as a character, I really liked his last scene with Jezal, he was terrifying in that scene.

Glokta:

One of the most interesting characters in the book. He didn't seem to be a bad person but with all of his torturing he clearly wasn't a nice guy. He just didn't seem to care about what he did to his prisoners, which made for an interesting character. I liked his ending with Ardee, seemed fitting for them both.

I think I'll definitely read the other stuff he's written and probably his next trilogy set in that world. I hope that he does more with Yoru Sulfur, who seems like he could be a fun character to read about. An eater who doesn't follow Khalul who likes to joke around, I'd read that for sure.

• Pie 1

• 3 weeks later...

just received my copy of Patrick Rothfuss' The Slow Regard of Silent Things... I was expecting Hugh Howey's Shift and Dust and forgot that my pre-order should have been showing up around the same time. both came packaged together, so that was a nice little surprise

Howey's going to have to wait :D

• Pie 1

I forgot to tell you I had finished The Republic of Thieves... I will shoot you a PM to let you know what I thought...

Let me know how TSROST is... I might have to snag that one too... I got a Kvothe itch I want to scratch and he's taking too long for the next book...

• 6 months later...

Thanks Kurb!

Just to bump this thread...

I finally read Rothfuss' The Slow Regard For Silent Things. Great, cute book and a fast read.

Currently reading Abercrombie's First Law trilogy and struggling through the first book.

The Scar that I mentioned earlier, by China Mieville ended up being really good. Check it out if you like sci-fi/seafaring tales...

I'm eagerly anticipating Scott Lynch's 4th book in the Gentleman Bastard series. I think it is set for September release.

• Pie 3

nice... didn't realize that there was a release date set for the next Gentleman Bastard series.

glad you liked Slow Regard... it's definitely a different book, but if you like Rothfuss, then you'll definitely like it. he's so self-deprecating in the forward and blog posts about the book and how weird and out there he tries to make it seem, but I think it fits perfectly in the world and series that he's created

what else have I read since this thing archived...?

finished the Howey books... they were good, but I feel like some of shift and dust could have been taken out and it could have been turned into one larger book. i'll definitely pick up some more of his stuff. I actually saw that wool was on the shelves at Barnes & Noble the other day, which is awesome for him, because I was originally told that through his weird publishing company that they were only printing books as they were being ordered. so, either the books gotten enough credit now that it's being mass published or the local B&N just grabbed a bunch since he's a semi-local boy (and it's an awesome book)

The Martian - this is real good and highly popular right now. interesting, different story, plus it's going to be a movie soon, so worth the read. possibly ridley scott's next movie too, I think?

Ready Player One - this book is AWESOME. imagine WoW or The Sims has taken over the world and everyone plays. So good and Stephen Spielberg is directing the film adaptation.

Redwall - haven't read this since 5th grade and found it for super cheap at my awesome local used books store. still as good as when I read it the first time. it's a classic for a reason and now i'm going to start reading the whole series, which I never did as a kid

American Gods - I like this book, but it was a bit weird and had a very meandering story, which surprised me considering how much praise this book has gotten.

• Pie 1

not yet... I've been trying to break myself of the habit of just ordering books from Amazon and have started shopping mostly at a used book store locally, and that's too new to be on their shelves yet.

I do have it on my list of books to read though and will keep an eye out for it whenever i'm at a B&N... although, it's probably just like Wool and not in mass production

not yet... I've been trying to break myself of the habit of just ordering books from Amazon and have started shopping mostly at a used book store locally, and that's too new to be on their shelves yet.

I do have it on my list of books to read though and will keep an eye out for it whenever i'm at a B&N... although, it's probably just like Wool and not in mass production

My wife got it for me a couple Xmas's ago, I think... I feel like she ordered it from B&N or online somewhere. I almost think I like the story a little more than Wool. Just be sure to check it out if you do get the chance.

I've got a B&N gift card from this past Xmas that I am struggling to not spend before Lynch's next one

• Pie 1