• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Desperate Attempt For Some Help

It's that time of year again... when colleges feel like crushing their students under an enormous amount of work and nonsense assignments. Anyways, if anyone could provide me with some help I would be greatly thankful. For my Western Civilization class I have to write an essay and am having some trouble understanding the question. Here it is:

1. Many historians identify the First World War as the moment when the nineteenth-century notion of historical progress (derived in part from Hegel) came to a bloody and abrupt end. How does All Quiet on the Western Front reflect this disillusionment? Does our present-day society still share this disillusionment, or have we moved on? Use examples from the text to support your argument.

I have read the text thoroughly but am just confused with the term "disillusionment." I know its meaning, but in this context are they asking me to argue/write that the text supports the argument that WWI was an end to historical progress? Or asking to argue that it was not an end to historical progress? Disillusionment is a horrible word to use in this context. Its left me miserable and helpless and was just curious to see if any history minded people or someone could help me in general.

Thank you!

Archived