• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dog Question....

Johnny Rockets

So my 12 year old dog has been panting pretty heavily (for no apparant reason) the last couple of nights when she was trying to sleep and I knew something was wrong. Called the vet this morning and they said that I needed to bring her in today.

I looked the symptoms up online and it looks like congestive heart failure is a common cause of this symptom at her age. Also, read that there was a medicine (Lasix) that really helps this and can help the dog live a helathy life for up to 5 more years or so. Also talked to a coworker who's dog was the same age, had the same symptoms and died a couple of weeks later.

Anyone had one of their dogs go through this? Just wondering what I should expect from the vet visit today both emotionally and financially.

that sucks JR...makes me reflect a little...I was considering getting rid of one of my dogs because she keeps escaping the yard and chewing the crap out of stuff. I need to go home and fix the fence better and pick up a sack of bones on the way!

good luck with her...it's a tough decision sometimes, thats for sure.

hope so too! is it abnormally hot all of a sudden and she's just taking some time to get used to it?

Nah, unfortunately it isn't. It got really really bad the last couple of night when she tries to lay down and sleep. It's like she can't get comfotable.

Since we have had her, she has always gotten up with me in the morning at 5:45 am and goes to the kitchen with me when I put coffee on.....she hasn't done it the last couple of weeks. Also, when I come from work she always greets me and we go out back and throw a ball for a few minutes. She still greets me at the door, but hasn't had the energy to play ball.

I know whatever it is can't be good...... just trying to find out what to expect at the vet today so I am not blidsided with not only the outcome but what it will cost to run all the tests.

Glad I took her to the vet..…… It actually turned out rather well. Her heart seems to be fine from what the vet could hear (We didn’t do the EKG though). They took a couple of blood tests, some X-Rays, gave her a full physical etc (we were there for 2.5 hours). Her blood work came back good and the X-Rays didn’t show anything out of the ordinary with her heart.

The only thing that they saw was some blockages in her airways that lead from her lungs which is not uncommon in a dog her age. That seemed to be the root cause of her breathing problems. They gave us some steroids to give her and she will be on a medicine to keep her airways clearer for the rest of her life but other than that (and some arthritis) she should be fine. It was a bit expensive but well worth the peace of mind to know she is in relatively good health and my buddy will be around with me for awhile longer.

Good to hear man. When she's on the roids she'll act like she's five years younger.

That's a shame because I am actually not going to give them to her....decided to keep them for myself to go along with the other gym supplements I currently take. Summer is right around the corner and I have to get in shape for the beach......

Archived