• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

Thinking of making my own brew. Any good kits that I should look into?

northernbrewer.com is where i got mine. 7.99 shipping. Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Good quality stuff, no complaints at all. Getting ready to go into secondary fermentation with my first batch. w00t!

Wheat beers are good when its hot. Like sam adams cherry wheat and blackberry witbier.

had the Blackberry last night for the first time. Surprisingly good.

one of my favorite hot weather beers is Brooklyn Summer Ale. It's damn near perfect in my opinion.

yeah. i like it cuz it isn't overly fruity and sweet, but still has some of that to it. very refreshing after doing some yard work.

yea, i really liked it. tasted almost like really good blackberry soda but not sweet at all. very refreshing.

I'll echo the sentiments for Brooklyn's Summer Ale. I just picked up a six-pack of that a couple days ago.

their pilsner is also real good when it's warm out and I don't normally drink pilsners.

I'm really beginning to appreciate the more subtle styles like pilsners and other lagers. Olde Mecklenburg Brewery released their new one, Captain James Jack Pilsner, a couple months ago. It's really refreshing, and actually pretty hoppy for the style.

Another style you guys might want to consider if you're looking for a refreshing beer this summer is kolsch. Mother Earth Brewing out of Kinston, NC makes a good one called Endless River.

But wheat beers are a good call as well. I love a good hefeweizen. Also, don't forget about saisons -- they are refreshing and yet also very complex. Ommegang Hennepin is one of my favorites. You can get four-packs at Total Wines and Harris-Teeter for around $9.99.

Funny you mention kolsch BB. I was just reading up on them yesterday. Ill have to chase down that Mother Earth label.

I really enjoy Kolsch and find it to be a nice hot weather alternative to the standard light lager (though there's nothing wrong with a well-made light lager, either -- there just aren't many of those in the craft beer world).

Archived