• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PGA Championship and DJ

Happy Panther

Stuart Appleby did it at a previous event at the same course and some club pro did it in the first round (I think) of this tourney.

Appleby took full responsibility back then but here is what he tweeted:

I'm very pissed and angered that this is way the 2010 PGA came to an end. It was listed in many parts of the caddy and player areas of this unique rule for the week. Dustin and caddy are ultimately responsible for their actions, but WTH [sic]. I think that they need to make significant changes to the course that has hundreds of pointless bunkers that patrons have to walk through to view players

bunker-630x377.jpg

It a wasn't as obvious to me when i saw it. I think the issue is DJ truly never even thought that this was a bunker. looks half like dirt. The patrons being so close probably hurt as well. Officials should have given more room

That is with the people standing on the lip of the bunker... when I first saw it on TV, it immediately looked to me like a bunker.

The rules of golf can sometimes be ticky-tacky... this one's directly on DJ however... the rules were emphasized to the players and he should know to ask a rules official if there's even a hint of a question...

I agree with the fact that from a rules standpoint the only option is to assess a penalty. That is the way golf works. there is rarely subjectivity and all golfers know that.

However in golf or any other aspect of life, painting over obvious issues with rules may the the easiest but not the best way. It is obvious that bunkers are ambiguous at this course.

And while DJ maybe should have known and he bears responsibility, it is possible that bunkers could get so trampled that a golfer would not even think it was a bunker. Would not even consider consulting an official.

An analogy would be your town building an extremely dangerous road for no good reason but justifying wrecks by posting a sign that says drive at your own risk.

I'm just agreeing with the pros in the link above that the setup is dumb.

Cool course otherwise

I agree with the fact that from a rules standpoint the only option is to assess a penalty. That is the way golf works. there is rarely subjectivity and all golfers know that.

However in golf or any other aspect of life, painting over obvious issues with rules may the the easiest but not the best way. It is obvious that bunkers are ambiguous at this course.

And while DJ maybe should have known and he bears responsibility, it is possible that bunkers could get so trampled that a golfer would not even think it was a bunker. Would not even consider consulting an official.

An analogy would be your town building an extremely dangerous road for no good reason but justifying wrecks by posting a sign that says drive at your own risk.

I'm just agreeing with the pros in the link above that the setup is dumb.

Cool course otherwise

I think the mistake the PGA made was making those bunkers that were outside the ropes be 'in play', but they did cover themselves by posting that rule for the players... so there's not much DJ can say.

Archived