• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Julius Peppers Franchise Tag FAQ

Kevin Greene

I see all sorts of misinformation about Julius Peppers' status as related to his Free Agency and the Franchise Tag option the Panthers might place on Peppers. So in the interest of getting it right I created this little FAQ.

When can the Panthers Franchise Tag a player?

Teams can officially designate Franchise Tag Players between Feb 5, 2009 and Feb 19, 2009.

What types of Franchise Tag designations are there?

"Exclusive" or "Non-Exclusive".

What's the difference between "Exclusive" or "Non-Exclusive" players?

Any Club that designates a Franchise Player as "Exclusive" shall be the only Club with which that Franchise Player may negotiate or sign a contract. In order to designate an UFA or RFA as an Exclusive Franchise Player, the team must tender the player a one year contract that is the minimum of the average of the five largest salaries (as calculated at the end of the free agency signing period) for players at the position at which he played the most games during the prior year, or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater.

If the team elects to name the player "non-exclusive" then the player shall be permitted to negotiate a contract with any Club as if he were an UFA; however, Draft Choice Compensation of TWO first round draft selections shall be awarded to the prior club in the event that he signs with the new club. For Non-Exlusive Franchise Players, the team must tender the player a one year contract that is the minimum of the average of the five largest PRIOR-YEAR salaries for players at the position at which he played the most games in the prior year, or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater.

So what difference will it make to the Panthers how they designate Peppers if he is traded or signs with another team?

An Excusive Rights Franchised tagged Peppers can only negotiate with the Carolina Panthers. The Panthers can trade his rights to whichever team they make a deal with for whatever compensation the two teams agree upon.

A Non Exclusive Rights Franchise tagged player can negotiate on their own behalf with whichever team is interested in signing them. However, the team signing Peppers would owe the Panthers Two Number One Draft Picks in compensation.

Hope I didn't leave anything out or make any mistakes. Post up if you see any discrepancies or have anything to add. :cheers2:

Having Gross and Peppers as UFA throws a kink in the deal though. Gross's agent wants all the money he can get and he knows the Panthers can only franchise one of them. They either have to sign one or the other walks. The agent can demand an outrageous price for Gross and if the Panthers do not pay he can still get a great contract from another team. Hurney had put the Panthers between a rock and a hard place by letting this drag out till Pepper's contract is ending. The Panthers have no leverage to bargain with. It looks like to me that Gross is going to become a wealthy man! They are going to have to sign Gross so they can tag Peppers to be able to get anything for him.

We will go non exclusive, but where do people get 17 million for one year. There is no way the 'average of the top 5 DE Salaries' is 17 million. 7 million maybe.

It's there, a player gets the average of the top 5 or 20% more than they made the previous year, whichever is greater.

That puts Peps' cap figure in 2008 at 14 million dollars. :eek:

We will go non exclusive, but where do people get 17 million for one year. There is no way the 'average of the top 5 DE Salaries' is 17 million. 7 million maybe.

its either ave of top 5 OR 120% current contract, whichever is greater is what the player gets

It's there, a player gets the average of the top 5 or 20% more than they made the previous year, whichever is greater.

That puts Peps' cap figure in 2008 at 14 million dollars. :eek:

But ESPN isn't getting it. It isn't the top 5 CAP NUMBERS, it is the Average SALARY. there isn't one DE making 17 million per year in the NFL that I know of let alone it being the top 5 average of SALARY.

I still say its about 7-8 million.

But ESPN isn't getting it. It isn't the top 5 CAP NUMBERS, it is the Average SALARY. there isn't one DE making 17 million per year in the NFL that I know of let alone it being the top 5 average of SALARY.

I still say its about 7-8 million.

Julius Peppers' 2008 cap number was $14,137,500. Figure 120% of that and you have your 17 million dollar figure.

Julius Peppers' 2008 cap number was $14,137,500. Figure 120% of that and you have your 17 million dollar figure.

Again it is NOT Cap number, it is average SALARY. His cap number is bonuses, incentives etc added in to his base SALARY. Peppers didn't even get paid 14 million this year. Cap number and his actual pay are two different things.

If you have a player and sign him to a 5 year 30 million dollar deal with a 15 million signing bonus, his yearly cap number is 6 million but his SALARY is 3 million per year. The pro rated bonus is what inflates his CAP NUMBER. Most deals are back loaded so I wouldn't doubt he made 5 mill in salary and had 9 mill in pro rated bonus and incentives.

From the CBA...

In order to designate an UFA or RFA as an Exclusive Franchise Player, the team must tender the player a one year contract that is the minimum of the average of the five largest salaries (as calculated at the end of the free agency signing period) for players at the position at which he played the most games during the prior year, or 120% of his prior year salary, whichever is greater.

I still say the real number is in the 8-9 mill range, not 17 million.

Archived