• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What recent developments mean, and what to expect

BlindSite

The idea for the Panthers will be to sign Peppers to a Non-Exclusive rights franchise tag, allow he and his agent to negotiate with interested parties and when Peppers is ready to sign with the team, trade him away for compensation.

I believe that with this method, the Panthers might come out in a better situation than previous. This will allow the Panthers to free up nearly 15 million in cap space, easily keep Gross, sign one of the big name defensive line free agents (Suggs, Haynesworth, Babineaux, unforeseen releases etc) and draft another key cog on the defense.

No one will give us 2 first round picks for Peppers IMHO. Nice thought though.

so Peppers can refuse a trade?

thanks Blindsite

My understanding is that if his rights were to be traded, and he chose to sit out, he would lose his salary. Much like T.O. did in Philly. (although a different scenario). I doubt a defensive end at age 29 would cost himself a years' pay and a years' production.

very good analysis and to have it all in one place is nice. I know its been stated before on one of the other 18 julius threads but i would think that a change of scenery in charlotte might also be what peppers would look for.

When I read the statement that his agent released I admit I was quick to throw him under the bus for not being a team player but i just dont think he really wants to leave no matter what. I would think that the best way we can hold on to him is an overhaul of our Defensive coaching which looks to be imminent with the speculation of Tim Lewis and Trgovac.

I fully agree with your roster moves very well thought out and IMO accurate to what we should expect in the coming months. I have faith in our FO to create cap space and I believe that Jake would happily sign an extension because he knows how talented this team is and his chance for a championship is quickly diminishing.

This is the first I've heard of a cap number that high is this what we really should expect? All I've heard so far is that we wouldn't be able to hit the free agency market this year. (could be a good thing seeing our NFL scouts seem to miss on most FAs)

That's pretty obvious and I'm sure Blind knows that as well but i believe he was stating the compensation value is set at 2 first rounders. Thus making it obvious that we would have to trade if we took that route.

If another team signs our Non exclusive UFA compensation is set mandatorily at two 1st round picks. Unfortunately, we've had first hand experience going this route ourselves.

The Carolina Panthers signed Sean Gilbert to an offer sheet Monday, moving them one step away from completing their four-week quest to acquire the defensive tackle from the Washington Redskins. The Redskins have seven days to match the Panthers' seven-year, $46.5 million offer. Washington is expected to let Gilbert go and receive the Panthers' first-round draft choices in 1999 and 2000 as compensation

Anyone recall another team giving up two 1st picks for a free agent? Or 1-15 in 2001?

No one will give us 2 first round picks for Peppers IMHO. Nice thought though.

It's mandatory if they sign them to an offer sheet. Its not mandatory if the team decides to trade the player for any manner of pickers or players. The Vikings with Allen last year. Allen was tagged non-exclusive he went out and found the team he wanted to sign with. That team then worked out a deal with Kansas, the trade was done (tag is essentially removed) and Allen signed with the vikings. If He signed with the vikings without being traded by the chiefs, then its 2 firsts.

very good analysis and to have it all in one place is nice. I know its been stated before on one of the other 18 julius threads but i would think that a change of scenery in charlotte might also be what peppers would look for.

When I read the statement that his agent released I admit I was quick to throw him under the bus for not being a team player but i just dont think he really wants to leave no matter what. I would think that the best way we can hold on to him is an overhaul of our Defensive coaching which looks to be imminent with the speculation of Tim Lewis and Trgovac.

I fully agree with your roster moves very well thought out and IMO accurate to what we should expect in the coming months. I have faith in our FO to create cap space and I believe that Jake would happily sign an extension because he knows how talented this team is and his chance for a championship is quickly diminishing.

This is the first I've heard of a cap number that high is this what we really should expect? All I've heard so far is that we wouldn't be able to hit the free agency market this year. (could be a good thing seeing our NFL scouts seem to miss on most FAs)

Trgovac's scheme's don't make much difference to Peppers imo. If it were Gamble wanting to leave it would be more than possible, but playing on the right side his job wouldn't alter much from containment, the occasional zone drop off and rushes. We could bring in any DCoord and Pep would likely leave.

no, but if he comes out and says he wont play for a team, or sign a long term deal, they certainly wouldn't trade for him

My point was more, a team could come out and say they want Peppers and offer the panthers whatever, but if Peppers refused to go and said 'I won't sign with them' or 'I won't play there' chances are the team would withdraw their offer.

understood. I think it could sway him though if we brought in something different maybe showing him that we really want him to stay. Im not too savvy with what coaches really affect the individuals but i see what you are saying. I just think that a Herm Edwards type of signing wouldbe able to open his mind a little

Archived