• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SDD/ultamobile laptops

Scrumtrilescent

Tell me all about them. The good, the bad, the ugly. I need a new laptop to run linux/ubuntu for work software. Nothing fancy to play games with/not a desktop replacement. Guy I know has an Asus EEE and it looks pretty cool.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, I'll kill you and ban you and then punch your pet.

I want an EEE, for a similar reason as you; to have a linux computer that's mobile.

I don't know a whole lot about them, though. I know they have bad resolution on the monitors and their hard drive space isn't good because it basically has a flash drive for an hdd.

But it does make them quiet and cool. Fast for file operations.

I wouldn't expect much from it if your work software needs much in the way of resources.

But for web and word processing it would be great.

Edit: I think some of them might come with traditional hard drives. Not sure, though.

I wouldn't buy anything with SSD yet. The technology is unproven and was rushed into market well ahead of its schedule. For instance, attempting to defrag a SSD can permanently ruin it. For the price of most EEE pcs, they aren't worth it.

However, if you find yourself just chomping at the bit to get one, try this EEE:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220443

It is under $400, has 1GB of ram and 160GB HD. It also comes with XP and a ridiculously-long 7 hour battery.

Archived