• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jr4 Mock

jramsey4

I do a mock every year and have come to realize that the draft process is trying to predict the unpredictable. Who would have predicted Tyson Alualu going #10 in the first or Clausen falling to us in the 2nd? While not as deep as last years class and there is not true clear cut #1 pick this draft still has some outstanding prospects.

1st Pick:

Ideally I would like to move back, although saying that I doubt we get many offers to move up for the appropriate compensation. But for s#&ts and giggles I did my favorite scenario anyway.

In this scenario I would:

Trade the #1 to Cards/Bills/Bengals for there 1st and next years 1st. Then that 3/4/5 to the Cowboys for there 1st and 2nd (heard they wanted pp7 who could still be there) Then there 9 to some team in the18-25 area and pick up another 2nd.

You get a immediate starter this year, a future 1st, and even a possible franchise QB in the 3rd.

1st late: Mike Pouncey G – Florida

2nd 9: Jerrel Jernigan WR – Troy

2nd late: Kenrick Ellis DT – Hampton

3rd 1 Ricky Stanzi QB – Iowa

3rd Comp Pick: James Brewer RT – Indiana

1st Round: Mike Pouncey G – Florida

Safest bet in the whole draft IMO. You are almost guaranteed a good G almost as soon as the ink dries on the contract (whenever all this CBA crap is over). He is solid in every aspect at the G position (not as good at C but still depth). A lot of our problems early could be contributed to lousy blocking. Otah being out sucked but I think RG was an even bigger need (Shwartz is alright but I think he is definitely upgradable). With an oline of Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Pouncey, and Otah (if he can stay healthy) that would look pretty sick.

2nd – 9: Jerrel Jernigan WR – Troy

I would rather get Kyle Rudolph here if he falls this far I just don't see it happening (wouldn't that 33rd pick be nice). Jernigan is a Playmaker short and sweet of it, the guy makes plays. Good, not elite timed speed, but speed where it counts. Catches passes while running at full speed, doesn't have to gear down to focus on the ball. Former quarterback, understands defenses and is good at finding soft spots in zone coverage. He is very hard to bring down. He breaks tackles better then any WR I can recall (outside of Smith of course).

Smith isn't getting any younger and might even be traded. Jernigan is a guy that would be perfect in the slot year 1 and work into Smiths role in a year or 2. A young QB can just dump it off and let him go to town.

Fun mock! I wonder how long Stanzi will last. I really like these 2nd tier guys. Wouldn't mind grabbing one of them in the middle of the first round just between you and me. :shocked:

I really think some of these guys have what it takes, the only problem is getting them at a decent value without another team taking him first.

Forgot to upload the rest of it Saturday.

4th – 1: Brandon Hogan CB – West Virginia

Good attacking zone corner. He is a sure tackler and can really lay the wood to a receiver or running back. He is a good athlete, he played QB and WR before moving to corner in 2008. He has good not burner speed. He has had some off the field problems (DUI) and is coming off an injury which is why he isn't going to go in the fist 2 or 3 rounds but all in all I think he could be another solid late round contributor (Captain) to our CBs.

5th – 1: Alex Henery K/P – Nebraska

Just imagine a day when instead of the 3 players handling the 3 kicking duties (K/P/KOS) we had just 1. Think of how much those 2 roster spots could come in handy. We could have that in Alex Henery as he did both remarkably well at Nebraska. His only missed FG this year was a 51 yarder that was blocked. His career long is a whopper 57 yards his got plenty of leg. He averaged right at 44 yards per punt as well. Even if we still need a punter this guy is one of the most consistent kickers in the game and Kasay isn't going to last forever.

6th – 1: Terrell McClain DT – USF

McClain stands in at 6'1” 300 and is a strong and athletic penetrating DT (UT). He has a quick first step allows him to sometimes get a jump on the OL. He has good lateral quickness but is not going to be chasing anybody down (doesn't mean he won't try). We are in need of all the help we can get at DT and especially a solid penetrating tackle.

7th – 1: Dion Lewis RB – Pitt

I know I know a RB but I can't help it the guy has so much much talent and I can't believe he is rated this low. Strong for his size (short I know at 5'7” 193 lbs), reportedly can bench press 400 pounds (thats twice his body weight). He reminds me of Maurice-Jones Drew very low center of gravity. He might be a mouse but hes mighty mouse. Even there sizes coming out are similar (MJD was 5'6.6” 207, Lewis was 5'6.5” and 193 hes 14 lbs lighter but same height besides he probably played a little heavier and lost weight to look better at the combine).

He is very quick in the open field will makes guys miss. Patient runner with great field vision. Can catch out of the backfield. He put up better numbers then the guy who cam before him, McCoy who is a good NFL RB. Was absolutely dominating as a freshman racking up almost 1800 yards and 17 Tds. He is a hard worker and falling this far would give him a chip on his shoulder that would be the size of a small house.

Dwill is probably not coming back and Sutton is ok but Lewis is going to be a stud. I don't care about his height or his 40 time all I know is what I see on tape the guy has wheels. And being that short at RB didn't seem to bother MJD. BTW can anyone tell me how he can declare while being a true sophomore?

No thanks on Pouncey, much bigger needs to address.

Pass on Stanzi too.

I guess we will have to disagree. IMO you fix the Oline and add a QB (even though I think you fix that and Moore will be fine) our O goes from pinto to Ferrari. Pouncey could secure the RG position for the next decade so as long as Otah can make a recovery we would have probably the most talented Oline in the league.

Stanzi I just see something in him that makes me think he will be special. And if he doesn't work out it was just a 3rd rounder. And drafting him there allows us the flexibility to still get a QB if they so chose to, next draft if Clausen is as bad as I think he is.

Fun mock! I wonder how long Stanzi will last. I really like these 2nd tier guys. Wouldn't mind grabbing one of them in the middle of the first round just between you and me. :shocked:

I really think some of these guys have what it takes, the only problem is getting them at a decent value without another team taking him first.

He's the type of guy that could go anywhere. Most sites have him in the 3rd-4th range but I bet the Pats pick him up with one of there many 2nds. Or he could make it all the way to the Brady range (5th-7th)

I guess we will have to disagree. IMO you fix the Oline and add a QB (even though I think you fix that and Moore will be fine) our O goes from pinto to Ferrari. Pouncey could secure the RG position for the next decade so as long as Otah can make a recovery we would have probably the most talented Oline in the league.

Stanzi I just see something in him that makes me think he will be special. And if he doesn't work out it was just a 3rd rounder. And drafting him there allows us the flexibility to still get a QB if they so chose to, next draft if Clausen is as bad as I think he is.

My problem with Pouncey is that OL is our strength and I really think Schwartz will start and be very good there. I'd rather address an actual need like DL, even trading back you've got a shot at Marvin Austin and Phil Taylor, both of which carry first round grades.

We drafted 2 QB's last year, I'd rather develop them than just throwing more inexperienced bodies at the problem.

My problem with Pouncey is that OL is our strength and I really think Schwartz will start and be very good there. I'd rather address an actual need like DL, even trading back you've got a shot at Marvin Austin and Phil Taylor, both of which carry first round grades.

We drafted 2 QB's last year, I'd rather develop them than just throwing more inexperienced bodies at the problem.

Agree to disagree. Its might be a strength but it looked like crap last year at least the 1st half of the season (didn't watch any games after about wk11-12). Schwartz to me is overrated he is a decent G and nothing more. Either way we could definitely use depth at both the RG and RT positions but I would be fine going DT if we moved back or Dauerus if we don't.

And on the QB issue I think Clausen has shown absolutely nothing to make us pass on a QB if we like him. I'm not saying he shouldn't get a chance but if we are considering a guy at #1 overall we definitely would consider one in the 3rd. Pike will be a career backup to me. Besides completely different coach and OC and neither Clausen nor Pike are fits for the new scheme at least to me.

Archived