• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Plumbers: Gravity drains for ice makers

g5jamz

Buddy of mine gave me this:

http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/Dispatcher?REQUEST=SPECPAGE&SKU=ZDIS15CSS&SITEID=MON2

He thought it was bad, but found out after he'd installed the new one that it was just fine. SOoo...I have a new ice maker. Problem is that I was going to use it in one of two applications. 1) in the garage just freestanding or 2) eventually when I get a cabinet to put in a wet bar and install it there.

In either situation, the ice maker calls for a gravity drain. I have neither at either location. The garage floor is the lowest point of the house, so no drain and no drain access due to concrete slab. The wet bar area could work, but I'd have to drill a hole in the hardwood floor and install the drain. But would it just output directly outside? Wouldn't bugs try to come in? I can't use the drain on the wall for the old sink because it's gravity and would have to travel up. Can I drill out the hole and pipe the output over to where the sink output comes into the crawlspace and add another trap level to keep septic gases from coming in.

I do not want to put money down for a condensate pump or the pump kit they call for ($350-400$).

I don't know how much water output we're talking about here either.

Archived