• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone here a cyclist?

Niner National

I'm doing a bike trip between Washington DC and Pittsburgh since they've completed the trail linking the two cities.

I have a week to complete the trip and am torn whether I should do the trail one way (350ish miles) or the full round trip (700 miles).

Is it feasible to ride 700 miles in 7 days?

This will be my first overnight bike trip, so I'm a little unsure what to expect.

100 a day is definitely doable. bring plenty of icyhot and get a gel-padded attachment for your seat.

i've done two big bike trips, though neither of them were on that scale... the first one was greensboro NC to jacksonville NC, about 250 miles... i knocked it out in two days, spent the night in a tent outside of Dunn. second one was in australia, a 300-mile grind from sydney to ulladulla, took me about five days (it was hard as hell, 113 degrees the first day out, and i was taking my time anyway.)

Former Cyclist...

How much are you riding right now? Unless you are doing seriously major miles right now and are already a serious rider, there is no way you'll do the out and back of 700 miles in 7 days. And, i have to think if you were good enough to attempt it, you wouldnt be asking here.

I used to ride 6 days a week, raced Cat4, was able to do serious TdF climbs in France, and i would not have attempted 700 miles in a week at even my top form. No way. Thats averaging 20 miles an hour for 5 straight hours every day.

Do the one way.

Former Cyclist...

How much are you riding right now? Unless you are doing seriously major miles right now and are already a serious rider, there is no way you'll do the out and back of 700 miles in 7 days. And, i have to think if you were good enough to attempt it, you wouldnt be asking here.

I used to ride 6 days a week, raced Cat4, was able to do serious TdF climbs in France, and i would not have attempted 700 miles in a week at even my top form. No way. Thats averaging 20 miles an hour for 5 straight hours every day.

Do the one way.

Just getting back into it.

It's flat the whole way and there are a lot of people that have completed (one way) the trail that are virtually new to biking.

I'm thinking one way is the best, it will allow me to spend some time in the trail towns, take some pictures, and eat something other than camping food on the fly.

Archived