• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we end up keeping Peppers one more year...

Boston

No loss, really. Everyone's so upset that he wants new scenery, that he wants to play for another team, it's like we're personally attacked and being extremely spiteful about it.

You're all DYING to trade him this year, and if we don't get rid of him, a lot of you are going to look at it as an opportunity lost.

But honestly, if he -does- end up staying with us this season, what's the problem? He's Peppers, man. He's soft spoken, it's not like he's going to have issues with anyone in the Locker Room. He was a -Captain- last year, the guys respect him. They respect it's a business. Hell, I'm sure there's a few players in that Locker Room that wouldn't mind playing for a team that has clear Superbowl chances. (Last year was good, but I'm talking about perennial late Playoff Round teams).

Here's the simple fact: Peppers had the -best- season of his career last year, he was a phenom. It probably was because it was a contract year, I don't doubt that one bit. But if we end up keeping him this year, this is going to be a contract year too for him, basically. If he does shitty, teams aren't going to pay much for him come the offseason. If he's lights out, teams are gunna drop the huge contracts on him. He said it wasn't about the money, but still, if he plays like crap this year, Championship Caliber teams aren't going to really care for him.

I don't put too much weight on his 07 Season either. Sure, he had 2.5 sacks and underperformed. But our WHOLE TEAM underperformed, including the Defense as a whole. There were two games where we committed 5+ Turnovers. Our defense was constantly tired and getting beat up, and the whole team morale was abysmal. We had a LOT of underachievers on that Defense that year.

The reason Peppers wants out, to me? It's simple. He's not a leader, and he wants to go to a big market where he doesn't have to be the leader. On this team, everyone looks to him as their Leader, even Jon Beason, and he just doesn't have it in him to lead. So he wants to go somewhere he can just blend into the crowd.

One last thing, not only because of the finanicial implications do I think he'll perform very well for us this year if he plays, but also because of this: Right now it's the Offseason, it's purely business. You can express the interest you have for your future in the NFL, feelings might get hurt, but that's what the offseason is for. The day training camp opens up, he's going to be with his team, his brothers, his comrades. It's purely football. He's going to be the same Julius Peppers, training and playing hard for his teammates.

Yeah, that's right, Peppers is my player. If we get some draft picks for him, that's great. If we don't, well damn, what are we left with? The best DE this team's had for 7 years. Shame!

by tagging him we are just prolonging the inevitable if we can't offload him. if we don't trade him well we just spent over 10% of this year's salary cap on someone who has little chance of a future here with his desires to play elsewhere. And next year might spur the exact same result this year almost did. Peppers leaves and we get no compensation.

No time like the present. I'd rather get the high picks to select a fresh young player who actually wants to play on our team than someone who's already in the midst of his prime and made it public knowledge he wants to leave, and is scheduled to be a free agent anyway come next February.

I didn't want Peppers back after the things he said and lack of effort he has displayed over the years. But at this point the thought of him playing with us next year is less disconcerting that the thought of going into the season with Brayton and Johnson as the two starting DEs.

The DEs look a lot better in next years draft, and we will have a first round pick. And even though his value will be somewhat diminished from this year, we will still be able to franchise Pep again and trade him for a pick or two. And as you said, he should give some decent effort (for Peppers anyway) knowing that he will be a FA once again at the end of the season.

And as you said, he should give some decent effort (for Peppers anyway) knowing that he will be a FA once again at the end of the season.

IMO, he would also be under some pressure due to the fact that everyone will be watching to see if he is taking any plays off.

At this point, I just want what is best for the team. What that is I do not know. This is where Fox and the FO earn their pay.

Really all this is now is; the FO having a big dick contest with Pep. They dont want him to leave because of the "you suck Carolina" image it will leave.

You damn well better believe when the story is retold it will be more about why Peppers wanted to leave than his playing time here.

16 million this year= (2 high profile FA's or 3 solid FA's)

20 million next year= (3 high profile FA's or 4 solid FA's)

So basically we are to "proud" that we will over pay Pep and give up these extra opportunities that could help our team.

I dont want you guys running my business.

DVR-- Pfffttttttttt.

I have it on DVD

OK, I'm ready...

What you guys don't do is post visual evidence that he actually takes plays off. You whine and bitch about it, but never produce proof of it. I've stayed out of it for the most part, but a direct request for evidence was met with an "yes I got it" without supporting the request. I wanna know? Sure, he's been beat, every DE in the league has been. But we're talking intentionally taking plays/games off and I want to see evidence of that, not illusions and rehashed bullsh*t of that...

Archived