• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers taking paycut?

JefDav84

his salary cap figure, when you factor in what he does(or doesn't do alot) on the field. Vs. all we could sign with that money says to me we need to dump him.

every day we have his Cap figure, is a day we are not signing DL, CB, OL players which could make the overall team better. This is a team sport.

the interesting thing is that all the "experts" keep saying that he want do well in a 3-4 cause hes to stiff. which i would thnk is realy hurting his value. i realize peppers wants to do whats best for him. but hes gone from my fav player, to one i would just rather see leave in a very short period of time. right after the arizona game he said that he didnt want to do nething that would hurt the team. now hes become very selfish and has done nothing but hurt the team and IMO he has hurt his own value, saying he only want to play for 4 teams and play in a 3-4. if he would have went about this in a diff way he prob would have already been traded

I believe that Peppers has already earned the entire amount of his rookie contract, which is about $60 million, if I'm not mistaken, so it's probably not out of the question that he would be willing to take a pay cut. If moving to a different city or a different defense is the most important thing to him, then why not?

Question...if they did something like what Mountainpantherfan is suggesting, does anybody know what kind of compensatory draft pick the Panthers would get in 2011, if Peppers signed a one year deal and left as a FA in 2010?

I think Peppers best option at this point would be to ask the Panthers for a one-year contract that would allow the team to save about 7 million on the cap but would also include a no tag clause for the 2010 offseason if Peppers were to either get more than 12 sacks or make the pro-bowl. If the best that the Panthers are going to get in a trade is a single 1st round pick, this might be the best option for both parties involved.

Haven't heard that before, well at least since I suggested it and you posted how it wouldn't work.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1953669&postcount=29

Haven't heard that before, well at least since I suggested it and you posted how it wouldn't work.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1953669&postcount=29

Actually here is what you posted.

Let's offer Peppers a 1 year deal in lieu of the Franchise deal. Give him a base salary on par with the average of the top 5 DEs (9 millionish) then incentives to add 4-6 million more AND add a clause that if he achieves certain incentives, we don't tag him again. That's the sort of thing that worked for the Titans with Haynesworth last year.

Here was my response.

Thats not a bad idea. The only problem is that with the CBA situation ongoing another new rule to the cap is that all likely to be earned insentives have to be placed on the begining of this years cap number. In years past those LTBE incentives would have just been added to next years cap after the fact. So by doing a deal like this you wouldn't exactly be saving any cap space.

The idea was good and still is. But you included 4-6 million in incentives. Like I explained the Panthers would not be able to save cap space if those incentives were likely to be earned.

Posted by monstercat

Question...if they did something like what Mountainpantherfan is suggesting, does anybody know what kind of compensatory draft pick the Panthers would get in 2011, if Peppers signed a one year deal and left as a FA in 2010?

If I'm not mistaken it depends on the amount of his contract compared to the contracts of the FA the Panthers would sign. However, I think the highest pick the Panthers would recieve would be a 3rd rounder for compensation.

Actually here is what you posted.

Here was my response.

The idea was good and still is. But you included 4-6 million in incentives. Like I explained the Panthers would not be able to save cap space if those incentives were likely to be earned.

If I'm not mistaken it depends on the amount of his contract compared to the contracts of the FA the Panthers would sign. However, I think the highest pick the Panthers would recieve would be a 3rd rounder for compensation.

YOU put the LTBE incentives in there NOT ME. You quoted my post.Where do I say word 1 about LTBE? Why do you feel entitled to put words in others' mouths?

Damn, only a 3rd rounder as compensation for losing Peppers as a FA? Even if you factor in other FA's they could sign, that just doesn't seem right. Oh well, as long as that rule is the same for everybody else, I guess we can't complain.

How long you been around here?...

YOU put the LTBE incentives in there NOT ME. You quoted my post.Where do I say word 1 about LTBE? Why do you feel entitled to put words in others' mouths?

Somebody's panties are knotted up, but you are correct. You didn't say anything about likely to be earned. It's unlikely Pep would sign any deal gibving cap savings to the team this year without him getting the oppotunity to get the money back AND guarantee no tag next year.

So they are UTBE incentives? If that's the case your post was more assinine than I originally thought.

The basis of the idea is a good idea and I admitted as much back how ever many weeks ago when you made the original post. Its not on me that your post was flawed and you were called out on it.

Next time, before you put words in my mouth saying I bombed your idea, take the foot out of mouth or whatever other body parts may be in there.

Archived