• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers taking paycut?

JefDav84

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-pepperssacrifice032009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The word “sacrifice” is chronically overused in sports. It’s akin to college kids having to make really rough choices on a Friday night.

Do I get the pizza or buy the six-pack?

So when the idea of sacrifice is broached in regard to Carolina Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers, the collective eye roll of America’s football-loving public might be strong enough to affect gravity. But there’s the choice, a “sacrifice” as it were, that Peppers must make if he really wants what he says he wants: out of Carolina.

things aren't going to go the way he wants them to and i don't think he is going to get it.

he wanted to be the highest paid DE in the game.

he wants to play for any team he wants.

he wants to play in a 3-4.

he wants to disappear (from the public eye).

he wants control of his destiny.

he doesn't want to hurt the panthers (he said)

something is going to have to give. jolly ol' saint mick said "you can't always get what you want" and that is incredibly true with peppers situation.

truth is, though, that you aren't going to get anything if you don't get up of your couch and get to calling some teams and SIGN THAT TENDER.

i'm thinking that he and his agent jumped out of the ship a thousand miles from shore into a little boat without any oars. even if pep just sticks out his ears he's going to catch some wind. not sure they are going to figure that out, though.

I hope he is traded. His $17M cap number this year is handcuffing the panthers. We need OL, DL, and DB depth......yet have abxolutely nothing to spend to get it.

Even though Peppers is a great player, him here with that price hurts the team more than if he were not here.

he's an idiot if he does, just so he can play somewhere else. unless more endorsement money would come his way to offset.

NFL careers are short, you aren't going to have a Multi-Million dollar salary every year before long. Make every penny you can while your in your situation. Also, why he's an idiot for not signing the deal last summer which would've paid Pep more than he's worth

That is a great article. I didn't realize that Yahoo sports had anyone that intellegent on staff.

More likely, Peppers will have to be willing to work things out in Carolina, where he has his best chance to win. If he really wants out the way he says, there are only a handful of 3-4 teams that can afford him, such as the Miami Dolphins, the New York Jets and Green Bay Packers.

While each of those teams is interesting, are any of them that much better than Carolina?

If the Jets trade for Cutler I think you can cross them off the list as well. And unless Peppers is eagar to play under Trgo again I doubt he goes to Green Bay. That leaves only Miami but does anyone really belive that Parcells is going to give up a 1st and a 2nd for Peppers? Maybe but I doubt it.

I think Peppers best option at this point would be to ask the Panthers for a one-year contract that would allow the team to save about 7 million on the cap but would also include a no tag clause for the 2010 offseason if Peppers were to either get more than 12 sacks or make the pro-bowl. If the best that the Panthers are going to get in a trade is a single 1st round pick, this might be the best option for both parties involved.

I think Peppers best option at this point would be to ask the Panthers for a one-year contract that would allow the team to save about 7 million on the cap but would also include a no tag clause for the 2010 offseason if Peppers were to either get more than 12 sacks or make the pro-bowl. If the best that the Panthers are going to get in a trade is a single 1st round pick, this might be the best option for both parties involved.

Definitely a new scenario. Way to think outside the box. Well done.

Outside the box definitely....but would never happen.

Why would Peppers do this?

If he plays under the tag, we rapes us for $17M. Then next season we either pony up $20M, or he walks.

Outside the box definitely....but would never happen.

Why would Peppers do this?

If he plays under the tag, we rapes us for $17M. Then next season we either pony up $20M, or he walks.

If he wants out of Carolina within the next two years this might be the only way for it to happen. If he is fine with staying here and getting paid $37 million then he will do it but that goes agaisnt what he has said.

Also, if there is an uncapped year in 2010 he will make up that $7 million fairly easily once he became a free agent.

Peppers will play for Carolina next year.

Unfortunately I think he will as well....don't get me wrong; Pep is an outstanding athlete but his salary is preventing the Panthers from going after some much needed depth on the o-line and beefing up the d-line as well.

I think the Panthers have a much better chance of winning than the Dolphins, Jets, and Packers.

Archived