• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2nd Round Tight End?

Ship

yes, he caught 5. More than a fourth of our Passing TDs last year. You know how many Eifert caught at ND last year? 4. Why would we draft a TE in the 2nd when we have bigger needs at OL, DL, and Secondary. Chuck, do you come on this site just to troll all of us?

Id take a 1st round talent in Eifert or Ertz over a 2nd round WR. Just my opinion. The process of developing a rookie WR is way too long. We need to give Cam as many weapons as he need. Cam only has two weapons in 89 and Olsen. Eifert and Ertz could instantly come in here play along Olsen and impact.

I never said go ahead and take a TE over a DL or OL.

I just think depending on how the FO sees the offense this year, grabbing one of these two if they were available in the 2nd could be a great option. People on here want a WR but everyone seems too scarred from our previous WR busts that the idea of taking one and letting them develop or actually be successful is too big of a risk. As has been stated before, the linemen will be the easiest to fill in FA with bandaids while we position ourselves under the cap. The 1st round should be used for either an elite lineman, a trade down, or BPA at a skill position. If we get a stud G or OT or DT it'll be up there and they'll probably have fallen to us.

The reason I think this 2nd round TE is a solid option is because the effect this will have on our offense as a whole. This idea also takes into account that we didn't take a WR in the 1st and the 2nd rounders don't seem worth it. Having a legit starter at TE across from Olsen, brings us back to the Shockey days and potentially even better than that. Both of these prospects are seen as solid enough blockers coming out to be 3 down players. One of these guys plus Olsen can open up the field just as much as another good WR. We can either stretch the defense wide and open up the middle of the field for our RBs out of the backfield, Pilares or Adams (even Smitty) in the slot. These guys can also open up the top of the D by requiring extra safety help to come down, allowing a slowing Smith more space in the deep field. Murphy and maybe even Gettis could benefit from this as well. They can chip DEs on both sides and are available for extra blocking on runs and are athletic enough to run with Cam when he runs. We can turn the middle of the field into a poo storm for opposing defenses. It'll take too many defenders to cover both TEs at the same time like that, and if they leave one open, we hit them all day. Big, tall bodies for Cam over the middle. Cam has been greatly improving on his checkdowns and these guys can counteract his overthrowing problems.

We need touchdown scorers (not just WRs), we need guys who force the defense to play to us. We need guys who are versatile. If you're too afraid to grab a boom or bust prospect at WR, or guys who have already suffered questionable injuries, I don't see why you can't take one of these guys instead. Look at the thread in the Panthers forum. TEs are lining up as WRs in more overall snaps than their stated position, isn't that what really matters? If this scenario happened, and we wanted someone to catch the ball, I think these could be real possibilities.

I just think depending on how the FO sees the offense this year, grabbing one of these two if they were available in the 2nd could be a great option. People on here want a WR but everyone seems too scarred from our previous WR busts that the idea of taking one and letting them develop or actually be successful is too big of a risk. As has been stated before, the linemen will be the easiest to fill in FA with bandaids while we position ourselves under the cap. The 1st round should be used for either an elite lineman, a trade down, or BPA at a skill position. If we get a stud G or OT or DT it'll be up there and they'll probably have fallen to us.

The reason I think this 2nd round TE is a solid option is because the effect this will have on our offense as a whole. This idea also takes into account that we didn't take a WR in the 1st and the 2nd rounders don't seem worth it. Having a legit starter at TE across from Olsen, brings us back to the Shockey days and potentially even better than that. Both of these prospects are seen as solid enough blockers coming out to be 3 down players. One of these guys plus Olsen can open up the field just as much as another good WR. We can either stretch the defense wide and open up the middle of the field for our RBs out of the backfield, Pilares or Adams (even Smitty) in the slot. These guys can also open up the top of the D by requiring extra safety help to come down, allowing a slowing Smith more space in the deep field. Murphy and maybe even Gettis could benefit from this as well. They can chip DEs on both sides and are available for extra blocking on runs and are athletic enough to run with Cam when he runs. We can turn the middle of the field into a poo storm for opposing defenses. It'll take too many defenders to cover both TEs at the same time like that, and if they leave one open, we hit them all day. Big, tall bodies for Cam over the middle. Cam has been greatly improving on his checkdowns and these guys can counteract his overthrowing problems.

We need touchdown scorers (not just WRs), we need guys who force the defense to play to us. We need guys who are versatile. If you're too afraid to grab a boom or bust prospect at WR, or guys who have already suffered questionable injuries, I don't see why you can't take one of these guys instead. Look at the thread in the Panthers forum. TEs are lining up as WRs in more overall snaps than their stated position, isn't that what really matters? If this scenario happened, and we wanted someone to catch the ball, I think these could be real possibilities.

THIS!

Let me say this. We better wish we don't see the Failcons take Eifert or maybe even Ertz with their pick in the 1st rd.

Our secondary is already very weak. Godfrey, Naka, Martin, no one will be able to cover Eifert one on one. Unless we get a Vacarro or Kenny Phillips we'd be in trouble having Ryan throwing to Eifert/Ertz.

rather have great deep threat and great oline with a lower round tightend or fa guy with exp.

if you have to double cover smith and (wr x) thats leaves good matches for a tightend and slotwr to get open in the middle.

brady scored more with an aging star deep threat than a young prime te at his best.

rather have great deep threat and great oline with a lower round tightend or fa guy with exp.

if you have to double cover smith and (wr x) thats leaves good matches for a tightend and slotwr to get open in the middle.

brady scored more with an aging star deep threat than a young prime te at his best.

Lol. But who's a deep threat we could get in the first two rounds?

I'd love to have an OL in the first two rounds, but I just don't see it. I personally think that DT (Star/Floyd/Richardson) will be the pick at 14. And a WR or FS at 44.

WR for me it's just too long a process to develop. Eifert and Ertz are guys who can really win on one on one situation.

Lol. But who's a deep threat we could get in the first two rounds?

I'd love to have an OL in the first two rounds, but I just don't see it. I personally think that DT (Star/Floyd/Richardson) will be the pick at 14. And a WR or FS at 44.

WR for me it's just too long a process to develop. Eifert and Ertz are guys who can really win on one on one situation.

okay you might be scared abou the hit or miss wr prospect which is fair............but when is the last time a tight end won rookie of the year??? seemd like those guys dont have a huge impact their first year....i know gates,tony and gronk didnt......

looks like your argument would be better if you said draft tavon as a slot guy.....

Archived