• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MLB All Star Selections

Johnny Rockets

This is the official Snubs and Duds thread to say who shouldn't have made it and who should have but did not. This thread can also be used for the yearly rant on how Bud Selig is ruining baseball and how the rule of the winner of this game determining home field advantage is just one example of his idiocy.

I will start of with naming Adam Lind (AL) and Pablo Sandoval (NL) as snubs.

Josh Hamilton is an obvious dud and what the H*ll is Wakefield doing there? Only thing higher than his ERA is his age.

Kinsler - Not a snub. Pedroia’s avg is nearly 40 points higher and he’s made 1 less error. Kinsler does have him on RBIs, OPS and slugging pct though. Kinsler’s fielding percentage is 1/1000th of a point higher. Kinsler has a lot more assists and put-outs but that can hardly be used as a negative towards Pedroia (he can’t really dictate the ball be hit to him). As much as I hate to say it, Cano probably has a bigger gripe than Kinsler.

Damon - don't think he's a snub either...most errors of any LFer in the AL.

JR....Wakefield has been gold for the Sox this year. He more than deserves it. He's 10-3 for God's sake and should have an 11th win if the bullpen didn't blow a start of his a couple weeks ago.

JR....Wakefield has been gold for the Sox this year. He more than deserves it. He's 10-3 for God's sake and should have an 11th win if the bullpen didn't blow a start of his a couple weeks ago.

He has a 4.30 ERA...there are 26 guys in the AL with a lower ERA and you say he should have more wins? With a 4.30 ERA he has benefitted from run support.

I like Wakefield and am glad he is finally getting to go but does he deserve to be there? Not with that ERA. Just my opinion....I put a lot of stock into ERA when it comes to pitching.

He has a 4.30 ERA...there are 26 guys in the AL with a lower ERA and you say he should have more wins? With a 4.30 ERA he has benefitted from run support.

How many of them have taken a no-hitter into the 8th inning this year?

But I guess if you're gonna look at stats like that, then Howard shouldn't be going either because other than homers, he's very middle of the pack, stats-wise.

Wakefield's time has come and it's not hurting anyone that he's going. Unless there's another extra innings game he probably won't even pitch.

Kinsler - Not a snub. Pedroia’s avg is nearly 40 points higher and he’s made 1 less error. Kinsler does have him on RBIs, OPS and slugging pct though. Kinsler’s fielding percentage is 1/1000th of a point higher. Kinsler has a lot more assists and put-outs but that can hardly be used as a negative towards Pedroia (he can’t really dictate the ball be hit to him). As much as I hate to say it, Cano probably has a bigger gripe than Kinsler.

Damon - don't think he's a snub either...most errors of any LFer in the AL.

Ok, but the concept is try to come up with "snubs".

I think Damon has a gripe since the fans voted in Hamilton over Damon. C'mon.

As far as Pedroia over Kinsler....you mention the very reasons for putting him in over Pedroia. Cano? What about Aaron Hill?

Hell, I put Kinsler, Hill, Cano AND Figgins in before Pedroia, but that's cuz I'm a Fantasy geek.

But my fantasy team sucks so maybe that ends the debate. :)

Ok, but the concept is try to come up with "snubs".

But you need to be able to back up your snub, don't ya? I mean, anyone can just name their favorite player who didn't get picked.

As far as Pedroia over Kinsler....you mention the very reasons for putting him in over Pedroia. Cano? What about Aaron Hill?

I was ok with Kinsler over Pedroia because I never looked at any of the numbers and assumed that with all the talk Kinsler was getting, he must have had way better numbers. Then I compared them and saw that Kinsler isn't really having any better of a season than Pedroia (who I thought was having a down year). And Kinsler is now in with the last pick, so no big deal anyway.

How many of them have taken a no-hitter into the 8th inning this year?

But I guess if you're gonna look at stats like that, then Howard shouldn't be going either because other than homers, he's very middle of the pack, stats-wise.

Wakefield's time has come and it's not hurting anyone that he's going. Unless there's another extra innings game he probably won't even pitch.

I think Sandoval should be in in Howards place no question. In fact, I have voted for Sandoval over Victorino to get that last spot.

I don't mind Wakefield going, in fact I am happy for him. Just don't really think he deserves it based on his body of work this year. I am fine with him being there due to "lifetime achievement".

As far as Kinsler...he certainly hasn't been playing like an Allstar recently. He has been so bad that he has almost slipped under the .250 mark for the year.

But you need to be able to back up your snub, don't ya? I mean, anyone can just name their favorite player who didn't get picked.

I was ok with Kinsler over Pedroia because I never looked at any of the numbers and assumed that with all the talk Kinsler was getting, he must have had way better numbers. Then I compared them and saw that Kinsler isn't really having any better of a season than Pedroia (who I thought was having a down year). And Kinsler is now in with the last pick, so no big deal anyway.

eh, it's all verbal and statistical gymnastics anyway.

I have no favorites, since I can't make a logical argument for any of my hometown "favorite" (Cub) players. The Lilly pick was even a stretch.

I just typed whatever came to mind, and by the numbers, Cano, Figgins, Hill and Kinsler would be a bit ahead of Pedroia. All of them would be fine.

Kinsler ahead of Pedroia I don't get....Cano, I know, has better numbers...dunno bout that rest. Don't care enough to look. Initially I only looked at Kinsler's because he was getting the most votes and talk among sports media. When I did that, I noticed Cano's numbers...didn't really set out to compare them.

Kinsler ahead of Pedroia I don't get....Cano, I know, has better numbers...dunno bout that rest. Don't care enough to look. Initially I only looked at Kinsler's because he was getting the most votes and talk among sports media. When I did that, I noticed Cano's numbers...didn't really set out to compare them.

Beginning of the year ....Kinsler = underated

Now.....Kinsler = overated

I am a Kinsler fan though...one of my favorites in baseball.

Archived