• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Raymond Felton and Bobcats still not close to a deal

Those players are all substantially better than Felton. In fact, all three are all star players. Felton isn't even close.

I would agree that Nelson is far better than Felton, but I wanted three guys to compare. Ford is not far better than Felton, and I think Harris and Felton are pretty close. Looking at the 30 starting points in the league, I thought these three are the closest to Felton. Who would you substitute for comparison sake?

Augustin is not ready to take this team over, and will not be for a couple years, IMO. I think we should sign Felton to a three year deal, and then look at the pg situation after that time. If the FO feels augustin is ready to take over this team before then we can trade felton. But, look at the stats posted earlier in the thread. This team will be substaintally worse if we lose Felton. His assists, rebounds, steals, and blocks are among best in the league at the position. Augustin can't cover that loss if we lose Felton. Felton should get paid starting salary because, IMO, he will be the starter as long as he is here.

I would agree that Nelson is far better than Felton, but I wanted three guys to compare. Ford is not far better than Felton, and I think Harris and Felton are pretty close. Looking at the 30 starting points in the league, I thought these three are the closest to Felton. Who would you substitute for comparison sake?

Harris put up 21 ppg last year on an equally offensively incompetent team. Ford was far better than Felton when he was awarded that contract.

For comparisons sake, try Chris Duhon. Similar stat line and a lot smarter player. He got 6 mil a year from NYK last year.

I think 6 mil a year is close to what Felton is worth. The problem with valuing Felton is that 1) he improved so much last year, is it possible that he could make a comparable leap next year?; 2) his shot selection is terrible and I doubt he will ever become a good shooter, but will his shot selection improve; and 3) just how dependent is he on Boris Diaw, take a look at his stats pre the Diaw trade and they aren't impressive?

I like some things Felton brings to the table. He was a much better player last year with LB coaching him. He is tough as nails and his teammates seem to like him. I just don't think he is worth overpaying when you have the sweet shooting and smarter DJ Augustine (possibly AI as well) waiting in the wings.

Harris put up 21 ppg last year on an equally offensively incompetent team. Ford was far better than Felton when he was awarded that contract.

For comparisons sake, try Chris Duhon. Similar stat line and a lot smarter player. He got 6 mil a year from NYK last year.

I think 6 mil a year is close to what Felton is worth. The problem with valuing Felton is that 1) he improved so much last year, is it possible that he could make a comparable leap next year?; 2) his shot selection is terrible and I doubt he will ever become a good shooter, but will his shot selection improve; and 3) just how dependent is he on Boris Diaw, take a look at his stats pre the Diaw trade and they aren't impressive?

I like some things Felton brings to the table. He was a much better player last year with LB coaching him. He is tough as nails and his teammates seem to like him. I just don't think he is worth overpaying when you have the sweet shooting and smarter DJ Augustine (possibly AI as well) waiting in the wings.

His shot selection is indeed horrible, considering he is not the smoothest shooter to play for the Bobcats. He averages 13.2 field goal attempts per game and only averages 5.4 field goals made per game. However, he is still a good point guard and the way he turned his game around at the end of the season, I would say the Bobcats are lucky that his first choice is to resign with the Bobcats and not with a playoff contender (lets face we are probably not going to make the playoffs this year). If we are going to compare Felton to some players than I would look at these guys.

Comparisons

1. Mike Bibby

2. Rodney Stuckey

3. Aaron Brooks

4. Nate Robinson

5. Baron Davis

His shot selection is indeed horrible, considering he is not the smoothest shooter to play for the Bobcats. He averages 13.2 field goal attempts per game and only averages 5.4 field goals made per game. However, he is still a good point guard and the way he turned his game around at the end of the season, I would say the Bobcats are lucky that his first choice is to resign with the Bobcats and not with a playoff contender (lets face we are probably not going to make the playoffs this year). If we are going to compare Felton to some players than I would look at these guys.

Comparisons

1. Mike Bibby

2. Rodney Stuckey

3. Aaron Brooks

4. Nate Robinson

5. Baron Davis

I would agree with most of what you said, with the exception being the Baron Davis comparison.

I never said don't resign the guy. I just said pay guys at reasonable numbers. MJs history with our FAs has been to overpay at all costs. Matt Carrol and Oke come to mind.

Now that the Jazz are going to match Portland's offer to Milsap, do you think they may go after Felton? If they offer him 7-8 mil a year, would you match it? I think they should. It would be overpaying for Felton, but I still don't believe Augustin is ready to be a fulltime starter, and the depth at pg would be non-existant. Even though the team doesn't have a great shot at the playoffs, it would still be a huge step backwards losing Felton, IMO.

Now that the Jazz are going to match Portland's offer to Milsap, do you think they may go after Felton? If they offer him 7-8 mil a year, would you match it? I think they should. It would be overpaying for Felton, but I still don't believe Augustin is ready to be a fulltime starter, and the depth at pg would be non-existant. Even though the team doesn't have a great shot at the playoffs, it would still be a huge step backwards losing Felton, IMO.

I actually did a thread on this a week ago and I do believe they will offer Felton 6-7 mil but not 7-8 mil.

Archived