• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2011-2013 Drive Stats (taken from FootballOutsiders)

dos poptarts

Here's a comparison of some of the Panthers Offensive Drive Stats from 2011-2013. # in () is NFL ranking.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff2013

2nlcmzk.gif

I added a Score/Drive (adding TDs + FGs). No ranking because I'm not doing this for all 32 teams over a 3 year span.

Forgot to include total drives: I like drive stats because barring a defensive or special teams TD, both teams will have the same # of drives in the most games. 

2013 - 162

2012 - 171

2011 - 175

Chud's 2011 offense was easily the best scoring offense. Don't think anyone will disagree that the big play scores have dropped, but the Panthers still had very good success in the league with TDs/RZ ranking 8th this year and statistically about the same as Chud's 2011. BUT......

For this years team to have matched 2011 TDs/Dr....(47 TDs), they would have needed to convert another 6 TDs (.235*175). What worries me is that this is WITH Riverboat Ron going for it on 4th and GOAL/short. I think there are an additional 6 TDs (at least) from the Gambler going for it. We can also adjust the REDZONE TDs as well and the 2013 offense would probably drop to the bottom of the league. (I think we had 45 RZ trips, but I have to verify). Change those TDs to FGs, and this offense is putrid.

I think Schula's Offense based on current personnel requires going for it on 4th down. It won't work without it.

Since the Panthers did finish in the top 10 TD/Dr....let's look at those weapons of their peers.

DEN - Manning, (Thomas x2, Welker, Decker, Moreno)

NO - Brees, Graham, Colston, Stills(rookie), (RB by committee)

PHI - Foles, McCoy, Jackson, Cooper, Celek

SD - Rivers, Gates, Allen (rookie), Woodhead, Matthews, Royal

CHI - Cutler/McCown, Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Forte

DAL - Romo, Bryant, Murray, Whitten

CIN - Dalton (still debating this one), AJ Green, Jones, BGE,

GB - Rodgers - Nelson, Lacey, Cobb, (bunch of TDs spread around after this)

CAR - Cam, Smitty, Olsen, Tolbert, Ginn/LaFell

DET - Stafford, Megatron, Bush, Bell, Fauria

By far Carolina has the weakest elite offensive talent. With limited upside due to Smitty's age and Olsen / Tolbert / LaFell probably are close to their ceilings. Leaving Ginn as an enigma right now. Cam has exactly no young STUD in the stables.

Gman has to address both OLine and weapons. Cam is actually performing much better than I thought based on what he has around him.

And look who's not on this list: Luck, Brady, Kaep, Wilson. (though they did manage to stay in the top half of the NFL)

Archived