• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Text from my aunt after talking with TD's wife

SCP

Not to be that guy or anything. But, Hardy has 13.1mil reasons not to be pissed.

Things look bleak right now. But, things looked bleak at this time last year. I will wait until the sky actually falls before I run for cover.

Right.  My point is that if Hardy was pissed enough, maybe he would sing a sensible long term contract that would free up some cap space.

Honestly, I'd never seen someone that was seemingly so respected in and out of the lockerroom get completely dropped from a team the way Smith was before. Makes me think that he and Gettleman (or the coaches) may have had some issues with him we don't know about.

Better players than 89 have been cut late in their careers. First ballot HOFers. It happens.

Those guys weren't problem childs either

Better players than 89 have been cut late in their careers. First ballot HOFers. It happens.

Those guys weren't problem childs either

I bet there was a lot of money to be saved and/or a viable replacement in the wings for those guys.  I'm glad that we saved a bunch of cap space by jettisoning Smitty and opened the door for the highly touted young talent on the team that just needs an opportunity to shine.

Oh wait...

I bet there was a lot of money to be saved and/or a viable replacement in the wings for those guys. I'm glad that we saved a bunch of cap space by jettisoning Smitty and opened the door for the highly touted young talent on the team that just needs an opportunity to shine.

Oh wait...

I think they didn't want 89 doing what he did in 2012, 2010, 2008, etc.

Even numbered years seem to be the year the bratty and pain in the rear version of 89......and he now is producing like a LaFell or Ginn. The past doesn't support a non Fox era staff putting up with that caliber of a WR being a pain

I think they didn't want 89 doing what he did in 2012, 2010, 2008, etc.

Even numbered years seem to be the year the bratty and pain in the rear version of 89......and he now is producing like a LaFell or Ginn. The past doesn't support a non Fox era staff putting up with that caliber of a WR being a pain

What makes the Smitty situation such a tough pill to swallow is that we made the move while gaining very little on paper in terms of making cap space or creating opportunity for existing talent while also adding nothing (so far).  I don't like the way the situation was handled, but it'd be a little easier to take if we had signed a guy like Nick or Jones or pretty much any WR that has produced at an NFL level.  Right now, we have no proven NFL WRs on the roster.

What makes the Smitty situation such a tough pill to swallow is that we made the move while gaining very little on paper in terms of making cap space or creating opportunity for existing talent while also adding nothing (so far). I don't like the way the situation was handled, but it'd be a little easier to take if we had signed a guy like Nick or Jones or pretty much any WR that has produced at an NFL level. Right now, we have no proven NFL WRs on the roster.

I think that speaks volumes about how difficult 89 really can be....people always sugar coat his nonsense.

Most have already forgotten his pointless drama and running to the media as recently as 2012

I think that speaks volumes about how difficult 89 really can be....people always sugar coat his nonsense.

Most have already forgotten his pointless drama and running to the media as recently as 2012

Maybe so, but it's still an extremely brash move that will blow up in Gettleman's face if we don't field a winner this year.  He gained a ton of good will among the fan base last year, but he could go from hero to zero really quickly.  Right now, he's kind of writing the book on exactly how to do that.  Maybe the guy knows exactly what he's doing and we're in good hands.  I sure hope so.

Maybe so, but it's still an extremely brash move that will blow up in Gettleman's face if we don't field a winner this year. He gained a ton of good will among the fan base last year, but he could go from hero to zero really quickly. Right now, he's kind of writing the book on exactly how to do that. Maybe the guy knows exactly what he's doing and we're in good hands. I sure hope so.

I think we will be fine if he stays true to his word....

Our OL situation is the most important. It was amazing what we did with zero run blocking. If we can get healthy and add some real OL talent. Will need the draft and likely a stud vet (next FA wave).....that IMO will mean more than landing a guy like Nicks

OK guys, lets be honest here. Our defense is why we won last year. Our offense was mediocre at best. Even Steve had an off year. Now, was this due to the new OC? Most likely.

Cam, LaFell, Ginn, Olsen.....all had one of their best seasons is pros. Shula didn't cause 89 to go backwards....he is just old.

Offense was bad bc our OL couldn't RB and we ran to nowhere often with our RBs.

Talent issue not a Shula issue....Carolina was one of the best offensively in the NFL on a per touch basis.

Archived