Photo
- - - - -

Re: new outlets with USB plugs, anyone seen GFCI versions of them?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,316 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

We have a bar with a sink nearby, so code requires it to be GFCI. We use one end of the bar as the collection point of all phones/devices to charge. I'd like to get one of the outlets with the USB adapters plugs on it, but I've yet to find one with GFCI protection.

Anyone? Oh...and I'm cheap too.

#2 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:05 AM

We have a bar with a sink nearby, so code requires it to be GFCI. We use one end of the bar as the collection point of all phones/devices to charge. I'd like to get one of the outlets with the USB adapters plugs on it, but I've yet to find one with GFCI protection.

Usually one GFCI will service several outlets, sometimes not even in the same room. Have you tripped a nearby GFCI and checked if the outlet on the bar is still live? (the USB outlets are like $20 at Lowes)

#3 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

Get a GFI power strip.

#4 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,015 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Why are you installing a GFI anyway?

#5 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,316 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:06 PM

It's required at the spot I'd be replacing an existing outlet. Near a kitchen faucet.

#6 Neylus

Neylus

Limited Edition

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

If the breaker is GFI you should be good to go. If not get one.

#7 il Malocchio

il Malocchio

formerly j2sgam...

• HUDDLER
  • 4,009 posts
  • Locationtryin to figure it out...

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

You can get a GFCI breaker, but thats kinda pricey. You can wire in 3 standard receps behind a GFI and they will all be protected. If you already have a GFI in place, then just come off the back of it. If you are installing a new GFI simply make it a double gang box with the GFI on 1 side & the USB right next to it, protected...

Its real easy, GFIs are very specific about which side is line & load, or in & out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.