Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: new outlets with USB plugs, anyone seen GFCI versions of them?

7 posts in this topic

Posted

We have a bar with a sink nearby, so code requires it to be GFCI. We use one end of the bar as the collection point of all phones/devices to charge. I'd like to get one of the outlets with the USB adapters plugs on it, but I've yet to find one with GFCI protection.

Anyone? Oh...and I'm cheap too.

Posted

We have a bar with a sink nearby, so code requires it to be GFCI. We use one end of the bar as the collection point of all phones/devices to charge. I'd like to get one of the outlets with the USB adapters plugs on it, but I've yet to find one with GFCI protection.

Usually one GFCI will service several outlets, sometimes not even in the same room. Have you tripped a nearby GFCI and checked if the outlet on the bar is still live? (the USB outlets are like $20 at Lowes)

Posted

Get a GFI power strip.

Posted

Why are you installing a GFI anyway?

Posted

It's required at the spot I'd be replacing an existing outlet. Near a kitchen faucet.

Posted

If the breaker is GFI you should be good to go. If not get one.

Posted

You can get a GFCI breaker, but thats kinda pricey. You can wire in 3 standard receps behind a GFI and they will all be protected. If you already have a GFI in place, then just come off the back of it. If you are installing a new GFI simply make it a double gang box with the GFI on 1 side & the USB right next to it, protected...

Its real easy, GFIs are very specific about which side is line & load, or in & out...