Photo
* * * * - 13 votes

Jonathan Stewart Signs Five Year (36.5 Million) Contract Extension

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
368 replies to this topic

#265 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:50 PM

True, his 3 yards a pop was fierce. Also, they did have to tire out from chasing after his league leading fumble habit.

I was done with Fox in 07. He favorites always showed at that point forward.

While I hear what your saying, it's not illogical to suggest that. Just because Foster ( or any running back for that matter) isnt getting good ypc that doesn't mean they aren't tiring the defense.
Run defense is exhausting and as the games goes on and the carries increases , defenses get worn down . This obviously isn't the sole or biggest reason Williams was effective, but it def helped.

Also I disagree on your reasoning on why they drafted two first round RB"s.

Coming into the 08 draft/season. I think it's safe to say a third straight year of poor offence ( due in large part to a unsucessfull ground game) would've put the season and thus their jobs in jeapordy. So they came in with high stakes.

Up to that point Williams had only been a changed of pace back ( wether this in itself was justified is up for debate). Due to this fact and maybe others ( blocking? running outside?idk) , IMO they simply didn't know and/or see enough in Williams to wait and see with the given stakes.
Having Stewart who was a highly regarded talent , would put the ground game and position in a much more promising and stable place.

They didnt draft another first round RB just to have two first round RB's. It just happened due a couple different factors

#266 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:53 PM

Double post

#267 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:57 PM

Kind of funny how he ignored the long post you made. Do you find that frustrating or just par for the course?

Many posters here try and ignore the main argument to try and deflect the attention to a minor point especially when they don't have leg to stand on. It is a debating strategy that guys like CRA and TRD aka FRP have perfected. Keep dodging and going down bunny trails to avoid the elephant in the room and hope no one notices.

#268 nosuchthingasapanther

nosuchthingasapanther

SUPPORTER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

While I hear what your saying, it's not illogical to suggest that. Just because Foster ( or any running back for that matter) isnt getting good ypc that doesn't mean they aren't tiring the defense.
Run defense is exhausting and as the games goes on and the carries increases , defenses get worn down . This obviously isn't the sole or biggest reason Williams was effective, but it def helped.

Also I disagree on your reasoning on why they drafted two first round RB"s.

Coming into the 08 draft/season. I think it's safe to say a third straight year of poor offence ( due in large part to a unsucessfull ground game) would've put the season and thus their jobs in jeapordy. So they came in with high stakes.

Up to that point Williams had only been a changed of pace back ( wether this in itself was justified is up for debate). Due to this fact and maybe others ( blocking? running outside?idk) , IMO they simply didn't know and/or see enough in Williams to wait and see with the given stakes.
Having Stewart who was a highly regarded talent , would put the ground game and position in a much more promising and stable place.

They didnt draft another first round RB just to have two first round RB's. It

i don't buy the whole not drafting stewart if they knew what williams was capable of.

carolina has experimented with having a split backfield with davis/foster and foster/williams.

neither combination was really successful because davis was on the tail end of his career, and foster couldn't adapt to the role of playing the power back.

in came stewart, the rest is history.

#269 Jrock88

Jrock88

huddle vet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

they're just bored trolls...

#270 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

What I saw in 2007 was Williams being too timid and often getting hit behind the line taking everything outside and being afraid to run between the tackles. He had potential but to say that he was great and didn't justify drafting Stewart is going way overboard. Vinny criticized him for taking himself out of the game and not wanting the ball on every play. I guess you and CRA are so into revisionistic history you just forgot the reality of what happened.

No one liked the fact that Foster fumbled too much but it was because he was always trying to do too much which was not the case with Williams.

Timid my ass. He accelerated like he got shot out of a cannonball as soon as he touched the ball. It was Foster who was timid. I will say Williams skill set changed a little from 06-07 to 08. But he didn't just suddenly into a good back. And I know you don't believe in RB's getting old and washed up, but it happened to Foster.

#271 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Many posters here try and ignore the main argument to try and deflect the attention to a minor point especially when they don't have leg to stand on. It is a debating strategy that guys like CRA and TRD aka FRP have perfected. Keep dodging and going down bunny trails to avoid the elephant in the room and hope no one notices.

I assure you I am not TRD.

A) I don't have the post rate he had.

B )I support Cam, dont like Clausen, and I'm meh with Moore.

#272 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:21 PM

Timid my ass. He accelerated like he got shot out of a cannonball as soon as he touched the ball. It was Foster who was timid. I will say Williams skill set changed a little from 06-07 to 08. But he didn't just suddenly into a good back. And I know you don't believe in RB's getting old and washed up, but it happened to Foster.

You have no idea what you are talking about but then again what is new?? Williams was often criticized for running in place looking for a lane instead of seeing his spot and hitting it hard. He didn't show maximum effort as he admitted in the off-season and often tried to run outside instead of going between the tackles. Everyone talked about how differently he looked in training camp in 2008.

Yeah I was one of those who noticed that and brought it to everyone's attention at training camp that year.

#273 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

So you have bitched for 18 months about how we overpaid him and now you defend him when you think you have an argument. You have wrong about everything regarding the running backs so why keep going.Just give it up. Stick to the draft and just follow my lead and you will look like a genius.

I have always been a Wiliams fan. You claiming I don't like the guy bc I believe we are over invested at RB doesn't make it so...

What have I been wrong about in regards to the running backs? I wanted them to let Stewart walk after they signed Williams. I was bitching bc I always feared we would be paying 2 featured RBs on a non Foxball team.

#274 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

I assure you I am not TRD.

A) I don't have the post rate he had.

B )I support Cam, dont like Clausen, and I'm meh with Moore.

Then who were you before this name? You aren't new and your style is similar to him.

#275 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have always been a Wiliams fan. You claiming I don't like the guy bc I believe we are over invested at RB doesn't make it so...

What have I been wrong about in regards to the running backs? I wanted them to let Stewart walk after they signed Williams. I was bitching bc I always feared we would be paying 2 featured RBs on a non Foxball team.

CRA,,,,,, Seriously????

Who are trying to convince? Me? Others??? Yourself??

#276 FirstRoundPick

FirstRoundPick

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about but then again what is new?? Williams was often criticized for running in place looking for a lane instead of seeing his spot and hitting it hard. He didn't show maximum effort as he admitted in the off-season and often tried to run outside instead of going between the tackles. Everyone talked about how differently he looked in training camp in 2008.

Yeah I was one of those who noticed that and brought it to everyone's attention at training camp that year.

Sorry cannonball and lightning were used to describe Williams. He hit lanes faster than I ever seen any Carolina RB hit them. Foster was the one that tip toed and danced. I would like to see a quote of D-Will saying he didnt give maximum effort to. Just not his style. Being humble is his style yeah, but not, not giving maximum effort.