#31 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

White people can't be discriminated against or be victims of racism?

please tell me you aren't serious.

Please provide me with an example that can remotely compare to what african americans or native americans have experienced. Surely you can find something more substantial than being charged for a drink refill.

#32 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,142 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

White people are persecuted and discriminated against too.

welp i said it three times and tapped my heels together and as far as i can tell i haven't been transported to whatever alternate reality this dude lives in so idk

belittling someone else's opinion doesn't make it any less valid.

Discrimination happens to every race and sex and orientation.
While the instances vary greatly by location and said category they DO happen.

To say different is in itself a discriminatory comment.

#33 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,142 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

Please provide me with an example that can remotely compare to what african americans or native americans have experienced. Surely you can find something more substantial than being charged for a drink refill.

I doubt he can, but that isn't the point is it ?
The issue is the discrimination of ANYONE by their race/sex/orientation/whatever.
Just because one race had it worse 100's of years ago or even today doesn't make someones example of the existence of racism any less valid.

If people truly want to end racism/sexism/etc then combating ever single instance is needed.

#34 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 11,172 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

I doubt he can, but that isn't the point is it ?
The issue is the discrimination of ANYONE by their race/sex/orientation/whatever.
Just because one race had it worse 100's of years ago or even today doesn't make someones example of the existence of racism any less valid.

If people truly want to end racism/sexism/etc then combating ever single instance is needed.

Absolutely. I was not arguing against the fact that racism or discrimination can happen to anyone.

My only point was in a world of billions with so many atrocities daily, MrTouchdowns example is quite tame.

Unfortunately we will likely never see an end to racism as long as humans roam the earth.

#35 4Corners

4Corners

Trill Laimbeer

• HUDDLER
  • 13,480 posts
  • Location704

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'm going to speak bluntly and this may bother some folks but you can only be a racist or a bigot if you are a white Christian male.

#36 googoodan

googoodan

Memberest

• HUDDLER
  • 9,778 posts
  • LocationBayside

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Was your African American friend also drinking tea?
There are small mom and pop restaurants that charge to refill drinks like tea, OJ, coffee, etc. Those drinks are usually made in-house. They won't charge a dollar, then let you refill til the whole urn is empty.
Carbonated drinks, on the other hand, cost next to nothing. The price of the drink probably pays for like 50 gallons of the stuff.

#37 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,846 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

you want a sample...here's a real life sample...and you can tell I'm bored as hell...I only venture into the tinderbox when I'm bored!!!

when I was in highschool, I lived in a small town where everyone knew everyone. With that, I knew many of the cops that lived there too. I would call many of them friends in fact. My goal when graduating from school was to go to Regina where the western Canadian training school is for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, RCMP. I had all the pre-requisites at the time nailed down, had great references from my school principal and from the local Staff Sergeant and a couple of the other local officers as well. I figured for sure I was a shoe in. About three weeks after my application I received my letter from the RCMP and much the same as someone would be excited to receive a letter from their dream college, I was pretty excited. Then I opened the letter and was very disappointed to read that my application was denied. The explanation continued with congratulating me for having all of the prerequisites covered and for the top notch references but unless I could prove to the RCMP that I belonged to a visible minority group, my application would not be accepted.

While I won't even think about comparing this to the horrible things that have happened to other minority groups here and around the world, it was still discriminatory.

My point being... people of all shapes, sizes, color, sexual preference, religion etc etc etc are discriminated against daily in some form or fashion.

#38 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

belittling someone else's opinion doesn't make it any less valid.

Discrimination happens to every race and sex and orientation.
While the instances vary greatly by location and said category they DO happen.

To say different is in itself a discriminatory comment.

i truly do not give a poo that a white person had to pay a quarter for a refill. call it the price of privilege. there is quite the difference between being a member of a race that has been historically oppressed, and being the member of a race that has been the oppressor since the conception of america. statistically, being white places you at a greater advantage in virtually every aspect of american life, except for when you wander into a restaurant staffed by black people, in which case you might be overcharged by a quarter. woe is the white man. if this guy truly gave a poo he would focus his anger at the underlying cause, rather than whining on the internet about the quarter he lost because white ppl are so fuging oppressed

#39 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:11 AM

I'm going to speak bluntly and this may bother some folks but you can only be a racist or a bigot if you are a white Christian male.

1488 brother!

#40 gospodin shuttlesworth

gospodin shuttlesworth

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

Posted Image

#41 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,142 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

i truly do not give a poo that a white person had to pay a quarter for a refill. call it the price of privilege. there is quite the difference between being a member of a race that has been historically oppressed, and being the member of a race that has been the oppressor since the conception of america. statistically, being white places you at a greater advantage in virtually every aspect of american life, except for when you wander into a restaurant staffed by black people, in which case you might be overcharged by a quarter. woe is the white man. if this guy truly gave a poo he would focus his anger at the underlying cause, rather than whining on the internet about the quarter he lost because white ppl are so fuging oppressed

Then you are racist. You are accepting the fact that he was treated differently b/c of his race is ok.

No where did Mr.TD say he thought this example of discrimination was equivalent to burning a cross in someone's yard. He was sharing his experience and adding to the discussion.

being white places you at a greater advantage in virtually every aspect of american life

woe is the white man

Statements like the above add nothing to this discussion, which was actually quite civil and productive unlike your 3 posts above (and MRTD's white make comment). This dramatic faux anger you are trying to project labels you as not only someone who doesn't grasp the problem, but also as someone who does more harm than good when the subject is being discussed.

if this guy truly gave a poo he would focus his anger at the underlying cause

I think he was doing just that. Mr.TD was providing an example that not only is racism a problem in many situations ,and while his example is mostly undamaging to him as a person, it illustrates that there are underlying issues all around us.

How is "You have to pay extra to eat here because you are white" any better than "You have to pay extra to eat here because you are black/latino/asian/etc"?

#42 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,142 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:39 AM

It bothers me because it is completely untrue.

I think the correct thing to say would be more along the lines of
"You are MUCH MUCH more likely to be called a racist or a bigot if you are a white Christian male."

Which is in itself another stereotype that needs to be changed in today's culture. Through better parenting at the home level and better personal understand of people in general by other people.

#43 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 31,534 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

This is one of the main problems I've always had with your way of thinking... you automatically assume that someone is thinking "man, white people are so oppressed and discriminated against" when in reality, someone was just giving a real life example of something.

I've never, ever once had the thought "woe is me, I'm white" but I have seen racism against white people, me included. No, not of the level of being at a disadvantage overall like blacks and other races are, but nobody said that... people are just saying that racism of all kinds exists.

Kurb is right... your way of thinking is just as racist and prejudcial as those you rail against because you automatically have this over-the-top reaction to any post like this.

In my personal life, I HAVE focused my "anger" against the "underlying causes" as you mention... how you might ask?

By running my business in such a way that would encourage minorities to work here... when we're hiring I would hire anyone who is qualified, period.

By teaching my children specifically that racism is bad and that all people are equal. By encouraging them to have friends of other races and backgrounds and by highlighting examples of racism we see so that they'll know what they are seeing.

#44 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

that incident in mr td's life probably justifies his racist attitudes that manifests itself in his posts through overtones

-gets banned for using the N word disparagingly
-welp can't do that so i'll use THUG to refer exclusively to black people
-continues to use racial stereotypes (well he didn't say the N word so we can't prove anything)

-this poster has the approval of Kurb

#45 SZ James

SZ James

• HUDDLER
  • 7,109 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Not surprised by these comments. Stereotypes aren't true, right?

The jokes on you

I'm sure u can use your brain and figure it out. I was a server/barkeep during my years in college. You learn a lot from people by watching them eat.

Okay then be honest. Speak your mind. Judgement free zone.

Do you choose to be a poor tipper?

Why are you evading the question?

Do you choose to be a bad tipper when you eat at Applebee's? Red Lobster?

I believe everything this person says

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.