Photo
- - - - -

Tavon Austin projected to be top 15 pick.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16 carolina-chuck

carolina-chuck

HORNETS 2014

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,061 posts
  • LocationKurby

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:01 AM

Absolutely not. I think Austin could very well be a good player, especially in the right environment, but he doesn't fit what we need. If we go WR early (and I think we should, but in the 2nd), it shouldn't be ANOTHER undersized speedy guy. Most teams have 1 or 2 undersized speedy guys at most to add some variety to their passing game. Our WR corps is dominated by undersized speedy guys.

I thnk he fit exactly to what we need in this offense. We don't have that slot receiver who can keep the chain moving on 3rd down, or that target that Cam can go to when he's in trouble. 89 will always be on the outside. LaFail will be the no.2, so Austin can come right in and fill the slot position. He can help do a lot of the dirty work running the short routes.

When you look at all the better offenses in the league, most of them has that slot receiver (NE Welker, Den Stokley, GB Cobb). We're missing that right now. We're a pass first offense and we lined of with 3 receiver sets a lot. The thing is we have no true slot that is able to create mismatch underneath. LaFail have been working that position the last couple years but he's too big and not mobile/agile to work that position.

#17 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

I prefer good WRs over big WRs. I don't give a damn how big a WR is, I want one who can get open, catch, and make plays with the ball in his hands.

I remember when a bunch of Panthers fans flipped out when we drafted a 5'9" smurf of a return man out of Utah back in the day...

#18 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:19 AM

I remember when 95% of Panther fans were rabid crazy for Sproles during the summer of 2011...

"5'6? Who cares?! The guy can play ball."

#19 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

I don't understand how anyone can say that our offence doesn't need a small, speedy WR. The speedy guys in question like Murphy, Pilares and Armanti haven't exactly amounted to much. You can't exactly point to them and go 'but wait! We already have THAT guy!'. The only legitimate 'small, speedy guy' worth a damn is Smitty. He's getting up there in age.

#20 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:21 AM

I thnk he fit exactly to what we need in this offense. We don't have that slot receiver who can keep the chain moving on 3rd down, or that target that Cam can go to when he's in trouble. 89 will always be on the outside. LaFail will be the no.2, so Austin can come right in and fill the slot position. He can help do a lot of the dirty work running the short routes.

When you look at all the better offenses in the league, most of them has that slot receiver (NE Welker, Den Stokley, GB Cobb). We're missing that right now. We're a pass first offense and we lined of with 3 receiver sets a lot. The thing is we have no true slot that is able to create mismatch underneath. LaFail have been working that position the last couple years but he's too big and not mobile/agile to work that position.

It's beyond fugging hilarious that you want Austin when you were completely against bringing in Harvin when they are the EXACT same player.

Like could be the dumbest/funniest poo I've ever read on here next to when Mrtouchdown said that Eric Fisher didn't deserve to be in the first round and that I was retarded for thinking so.

#21 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:40 AM

It's beyond fugging hilarious that you want Austin when you were completely against bringing in Harvin when they are the EXACT same player.

Like could be the dumbest/funniest poo I've ever read on here next to when Mrtouchdown said that Eric Fisher didn't deserve to be in the first round and that I was retarded for thinking so.

Harvin is an established vet who required a pricey trade and a big money deal to land. Austin at #14 would require neither. Harvin is also a well established malcontent. The combo of the three = no thanks.

#22 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

Harvin is an established vet who required a pricey trade and a big money deal to land. Austin at #14 would require neither. Harvin is also a well established malcontent. The combo of the three = no thanks.

I didn't want Harvin, and I wouldn't mind Austin.

But that wasn't chucks argument, his argument was that Harvin was nothing but a slot receiver/offensive weapon and that we need a bigger #1 type receiver.

Just let me laugh at the stupidity in peace.

#23 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:54 AM

I didn't want Harvin, and I wouldn't mind Austin.

But that wasn't chucks argument, his argument was that Harvin was nothing but a slot receiver/offensive weapon and that we need a bigger #1 type receiver.

Just let me laugh at the stupidity in peace.

Oh yeah, I remember that LOL.

This talk of the Panthers needing another big receiver is reasonable but misguided. We have more big targets than we do undersized targets. Austin in the slot would relieve some pressure off of Smith. That much is certain. Tavon would create some serious mismatches on defense.

#24 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

Other than Adams and Steve (who isn't considered undersized because of his ability to fight for the ball), who else is 'small'? Don't say Edwards.

Our receiving core features Murphy (6'3), Bryant (6'5), Olsen (6'5), Rosario (6'4), LaFell (6'2), Gettis (6'3), Pilares (5'11), Edwards (5'11), Smith (5'9) and Adams (5'9). I don't see undersized WRs dominating anything.

I said WR corps, Smitty, Pilares, Edwards, Adams. That's 4 of our 7 receivers, with only Lafell, Gettis and Murphy being over 6'. I expect Edwards and Murphy to be gone, but even after that the majority of our WRs are still undersized.

#25 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

I prefer good WRs over big WRs. I don't give a damn how big a WR is, I want one who can get open, catch, and make plays with the ball in his hands.

I remember when a bunch of Panthers fans flipped out when we drafted a 5'9" smurf of a return man out of Utah back in the day...

I didn't mean to give the impression that his height is enough to make me not want him, but I can see how it'd be taken that way. If a player is just straight up dominant and awesome I don't care how big they are. But Austin doesn't give me the impression of straight up dominant and awesome. Sure he juked and wiggled his way around college kids, but didn't make me think he'll definitely be doing the same in the NFL. Would I take that chance with our 2nd rd pick? Sure. Not our first. (and no, I'm not saying I expect he'll be available with our 2nd).

In hindsight, Smitty was an amazing pick and blahblahblah we all know he's awesome. But Smitty is awesome because of something you just can't predict easily. His heart and desire. Does Austin have that? Who knows, but he'll need it to be great.

#26 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

I said WR corps, Smitty, Pilares, Edwards, Adams. That's 4 of our 7 receivers, with only Lafell, Gettis and Murphy being over 6'. I expect Edwards and Murphy to be gone, but even after that the majority of our WRs are still undersized.

Pilares and Edwards are average height. Average is NOT undersized. Armanti might have a small frame but he's not 'small'. Pilares, on the other hand, has a thicker build. Bryant and Rosario are converted WRs. They're apart of our WR core now and both stand at 6'5. So again, no, our WR core isn't dominated by undersized receivers.

#27 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,125 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

But what big tall threat do the panthers have that actually sees time.....at least smitty puts up a 1000+ yards....and lafell is not a deep threat.

panthers was 12th overall in offense..so not bad at all.....they are not missing a slot to be good on offense....i would get an extra te for the red zone and a deep threat to stretch the field. of course i would fix that swiss cheese oline first to give newton protection.

none of those teams in the top 15 of offensive stats have star slot wr except pats.........so i dont think you need to take a slot that early to have a good offense...people get blinded by what the best qb does.........nfl is such a copy cat league.

#28 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

^^ but what big threat do the panthers have that actually sees time.....at least smitty puts up a 1000+ yards....and lafell is not a deep threat.

panthers was 12th overall in offense..so not bad at all.....they are not missing a slot to be good on offense....i would get an extra te for the red zone and a deep threat to stretch the field. of course i would fix that swiss cheese oline first to give newton protection.

none of those teams in the top have star slot wr except pats.........so i dont think you need to take a slot that early to have a good offense...people get blinded by what the best qb does.........nfl is such a copy cat league.

1.) There's nothing shortsighted about taking an explosive and versatile playmaker. It's not about copying other offenses either. The Panthers need another dynamic threat on offense and Tavon absolutely adds to our scheme with Newton going underneath.

2.) No, we don't need another TE. We've got Olsen and a solid number two option who barely got utilized. That's more than enough.

3.) Bryant was signed to be our deep threat. He's a burner who can stretch the field. Whether or not he lives up to what the Panthers hope for is another topic but we do have a deep presence now. Lamont has been raising eyebrows in training camp and preseason. I, for one, am excited to see what he can bring to the table in 2013.

#29 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

Pilares and Edwards are average height. Average is NOT undersized. Armanti might have a small frame but he's not 'small'. Pilares, on the other hand, has a thicker build. Bryant and Rosario are converted WRs. They're apart of our WR core now and both stand at 6'5. So again, no, our WR core isn't dominated by undersized receivers.

5'11 is not average height for an NFL WR. I'd guess 6'1 is.

And Bryant and Nelson aren't on the roster. They're practice squadders.

So yes, at 4/7 our WR corps is dominated by undersized WRs.

#30 Promethean Forerunner

Promethean Forerunner

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 6,256 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:05 AM

5'11 is not average height for an NFL WR. I'd guess 6'1 is.

And Bryant and Nelson aren't on the roster. They're practice squadders.

Since when? 5'11 remains average height for a WR.

No, they were signed to future contracts. In all likelihood, both Rosario and Bryant will grace the field as pros in 2013. Kearse and J. Thomas were offered future contracts last year and started this last season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.