Photo
- - - - -

How do you feel about the Panthers playing in merry old England?

Best Answer OriginalPantherDan, 28 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

I make it to one Panthers game a year (dammit, I live in Richmond, VA) so it's not like I'm missing attending a game by sending the Panthers to England, but I still don't like the idea of it.  Not a bit.  Goodell should die for pushing this crap.  If the NFL is so hell-bent on expanding the NFL fan base, it needs to begin with a league BASED in Europe, not pushing teams around the globeā€¦a global league is impossibly complex and unworkable unless we also implement the as-yet-uninvented teleportation device to alleviate transportation nightmares.  And as I recall, there WAS an NFL Europe aka World League of American Football, and it went belly-up. So no, it's a bad idea, as is European football (and dentition).

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 SuperLego5

SuperLego5

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

OP is a clown. Sold out every game so far so can't be doing too badly over here.

#32 BelgianPantherFan

BelgianPantherFan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

Sorry guys, but I'd love it! Next month I'm going to Wembley with some friends to watch the Jaguars-49ers game, my first NFL game live. Would love to watch a game of the Panthers live!

#33 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

I think it would be cool.

Yes it would suck to give up a home game although I'm sure JR wouldn't do it if it interrupted his profit stream too much.  He's big in the owners group so they probably worked it out so it doesn't hurt the owner, but the fans still have to pay full price for the PSL and home game tickets.  THe owner probably gets a big chunk of the international broadcast.

If traveling across great distances wasn't so taxing on the body, there would be a World Football League.  Could you imagine an NFL caliber team in the world's greatest cities?  How amazing would it be for there to be teams in London, Mexico City, Tokyo, Shanghai, Paris, Berlin...etc.

I imagine it would look somewhat like the international soccer scene.  That is still mostly regional, but there are a number of international events such as the World Cup that really are global cultural events.

Goodell must...MUST...be thinking along these lines.  How much sense does it make to just keep forcing teams to travel to international cities, disrupt their internal clocks and conditioning, take away a home game, etc...indefinitely?  There has to be a bigger picture and it has to be the WFL.

High speed rail could get a team from Toronto to Buenos Aires in like 6 hours.  LA to NY in 1 hour.  Maybe within the next 30 years this could become a reality.

Hell...they're holding the World Cup in Qatar in 2022...in the fugging desert, in the fugging summer.  THe stadiums will be open air and they say they have the technology to cool the inside of the stadium in 110 degree weather.  If they can do that...they can put a team in London and Mexico City.

#34 RoaringRiot

RoaringRiot

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,687 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:38 AM

Road Trip (or air trip I mean). While all you humps are sitting on your couch complaining, I'd be visiting one of the greatest cities in the world, teaching them how to tailgate and cheer for the Panthers

#35 klumme

klumme

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

A WHOLE PIE!

Whats up with all the name calling?

Considering how this board looked like after the Bills game, name and country on your pass port should not have anything to do with you being a real fan of the Panthers or the NFL as a whole.

I live in Denmark, I cant count the numbers of times I have been sitting up in the middle of the night watching draft, games or hitting the F5 on Zod or Kurbs twitter account in TC getting all the news of my team. I have been to 3 live Panthers games ( two in Charlotte and one in Kansas ). Going from Europe to the States to whatch a fuging game is no small thing and it cost a farm, but I love it and will soon be going again.

BTW. The game in London do not only attract people from London or GB, but people from all over Europe and if The Panthers would to play a game there, atleast it will be sold out for a change and the fans will be loud and standing up.

But I would much rather go see a Panthers game in Charlotte than London. And the thought about a NFL team in London or any place in Europe is just damn stupid. I would rather the NFL would try to make a European league again.

#36 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,423 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

i would be fine with it if it didn't count as a home game.

i don't have a problem with them expanding the market globally. it's the best sport in the world. 

i think it would also be a good experience for the players. 

crap, might even gain some more fans along the way. 

can any of the overseas guys say anything about panthers popularity in other countries?

#37 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

High speed rail could get a team from Toronto to Buenos Aires in like 6 hours.  LA to NY in 1 hour.  Maybe within the next 30 years this could become a reality.

A train that goes 3000 mph?

#38 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,551 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

I would vote against on general terms. What does a game in London do for me the fan? While it's nice that Goodell wants to expand the sport, that benefits the owners not me. The NFL isn't hurting for popularity.

I would be irate as a PSL holder if it took away a home game

#39 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

A train that goes 3000 mph?

I was wondering about that too.

Kinda hard for the stewardesses to provide decent beverage services when they are plastered in their jump seats experiencing 5 g's.

#40 osd22

osd22

Weltmeister

• ALL-PRO
  • 627 posts
  • LocationNo. 1 Panthers Fan in Deutschland

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Would be an one hour flight for me to get there, still not impressed. Our Panthers belong to the Carolinas and no place else. Not even for one game per year.

#41 RelaxImaPro

RelaxImaPro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,439 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

I meant no offense to our Panther bros across the pond.  Forgive me and my ignorant 'Merican ways.

#42 osd22

osd22

Weltmeister

• ALL-PRO
  • 627 posts
  • LocationNo. 1 Panthers Fan in Deutschland

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:28 AM

I meant no offense to our Panther bros across the pond. Forgive me and my ignorant 'Merican ways.

No problem here :-)

#43 Jmac

Jmac

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationAsheville NC

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

How's about learning how to win here consistently before playing in another country.

#44 Shotgun

Shotgun

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:32 AM

Poor Jacksonville, they wont even have to change the Jags mascot. They will say it "Jag u are" though.

#45 DOMOMAN

DOMOMAN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

I don't know what your media tells you Americans, but these London games are sold out in seconds after they are announced, people come from all over europe to London to watch the 1 game a year and there is always full house of teams from every fanbase imaginable that get along and love watching the NFL. Thats why it's now been expanded to two games because demand is through the roof.. people over here across the pond LOVE the NFL and the fanbase is extremely dedicated. I agree that the forman is a problem, it should be arranged so that teams play only before a bye-week so there is space to recuperate, but don't you think for a second this continent "doesn't care" about the NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com