Jump to content
Carolina Huddle
  • Hey There!

    Please register to see fewer ads and a better viewing experience:100_Emoji_42x42:

Matthias

Reparations Roll Call: Sign up here!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, JoePanther said:

@AggieLeanalso had the burden of slavery, yet made it to the top 10% earners in America. It means that by making sound decisions, one can succeed. Why aren't others succeeding? I has nothing to do with being stupid. It has a lot to do with decision making. Making the wrong decision doesn't mean one is stupid. Here is an example we have discussed before: Choosing a career path with a less than 1% success rate is a F*(*^ poor decision, no matter how you slice it. Every Saturday and Sunday in America, 1000s of AA kids are on television playing sport. These student athletes work extremely hard for their craft. But, the sad reality is that 99% of them will never be professional athletes. Meaning 4-5 years wasted working on a skill that won't serve you the rest of your life. Explain to me what this has todo with slavery ... This is the result of poor decision making. 

Most of these kids are on television playing sport, hoping to make it in sports because many know that to truly get themselves and their families out of poverty and and out of harsh conditions, it’s going to take more than a corporate job and corporate job money. With what I make, I can truly only save myself, my family, and occasionally help out a family member or two with the money I make. An athlete or celebrity can help out an entire family and generation, while setting them up for generations.

You ask what this has to do with slavery. Slavery and Jim Crow put us in the situations where some of us feel we have to pretty much go all or nothing in sports or celebrity to truly get our families out of the generational poverty; especially here in the south. I don’t see how you don’t understand that. If it wasn’t for slavery, Jim Crow, being locked out in creating wealth during the early 1900’s, you wouldn’t see so many of us going all or nothing in sports and entertainment. You wouldn’t see so many of us living in shyt conditions; conditions that have we have been in for generations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


25 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Nah. 

When you say “putting in the work?” What are you trying to say?

I have no idea why that would be a statement that would need clarification, its self explanatory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

I have no idea why that would be a statement that would need clarification, its self explanatory. 

Obviously, if I asked then I need clarification. Are you that high up in intelligence and standing that you can’t answer questions anymore, brotha? lol
 

What do you mean by “putting in work?”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AggieLean said:

Most of these kids are on television playing sport, hoping to make it in sports because many know that to truly get themselves and their families out of poverty and and out of harsh conditions, it’s going to take more than a corporate job and corporate job money. With what I make, I can truly only save myself, my family, and occasionally help out a family member or two with the money I make. An athlete or celebrity can help out an entire family and generation, while setting them up for generations

You still don't get it, do you? Success rate  of athlete / celebrities is less than 1%. Why are people chasing a career path with a success rate of less than 1%? Can't they read stats? 99% of wanna-be athletes / celebrities F A I L. Please don't tell me it is Jim Crow. Did Jim Crow put a gun to some kids head forcing them to play Football / hoops rather than do STEM? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AggieLean said:

You ask what this has to do with slavery. Slavery and Jim Crow put us in the situations where some of us feel we have to pretty much go all or nothing in sports or celebrity to truly get our families out of the generational poverty; especially here in the south

This a lie. You know it very well that it is an excuse. Nobody is forced to play sport. People choose to play sport. It is a decision that's under your control only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, JoePanther said:

You still don't get it, do you? Success rate  of athlete / celebrities is less than 1%. Why are people chasing a career path with a success rate of less than 1%? Can't they read stats? 99% of wanna-be athletes / celebrities F A I L. Please don't tell me it is Jim Crow. Did Jim Crow put a gun to some kids head forcing them to play Football / hoops rather than do STEM? 

 

53 minutes ago, JoePanther said:

This a lie. You know it very well that it is an excuse. Nobody is forced to play sport. People choose to play sport. It is a decision that's under your control only.

No, you don’t get it. If you can’t see why slavery and Jim Crow plays a part in today’s conditions, then you’re no different than the white conservatives that are chastised in here, and the  black men and women who let other races and ethnicities say the n word around them.

In fact, the more you post the more you affirm to me how you were never for reparations in the first place. You should just admit the only reason you’re in this conversation is because you are one of our “PoC buddies” that got offended when Yvette and Tone brought to light how those non AA blacks/PoC have acquired more wealth. You took it as a slight and that is the only reason you’re here. You don’t give a damn about Black Americans, and think of us just as bad as these white folks do. Your posts show that 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JoePanther said:

@AggieLeanalso had the burden of slavery, yet made it to the top 10% earners in America. It means that by making sound decisions, one can succeed. Why aren't others succeeding? I has nothing to do with being stupid. It has a lot to do with decision making. Making the wrong decision doesn't mean one is stupid. Here is an example we have discussed before: Choosing a career path with a less than 1% success rate is a F*(*^ poor decision, no matter how you slice it. Every Saturday and Sunday in America, 1000s of AA kids are on television playing sport. These student athletes work extremely hard for their craft. But, the sad reality is that 99% of them will never be professional athletes. Meaning 4-5 years wasted working on a skill that won't serve you the rest of your life. Explain to me what this has todo with slavery ... This is the result of poor decision making. 

What does 400+ years of a weight on our shoulders have to do with our status in this country?  You don't understand what you're saying.  Yet even for the best of us, we still fall far behind the most average white American.  A black college grad has less wealth than a white high school drop out.  How does your "decision making" take comes into play with that?  You telling me a high school drop out has made better decisions than a college grad?  Even poor white people have more wealth than half of all black families in America. (and more than half)  So how are, what you might call "failures" in white America, doing better than more than half of all our people in this country?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AggieLean said:

No, you don’t get it. If you can’t see why slavery and Jim Crow plays a part in today’s conditions, then you’re no different than the white conservatives that are chastised in here, and the  black men and women who let other races and ethnicities say the n word around them.

We are discussing numbers here. You are an engineer. Engineers work with hard data. In case you wonder where I got my numbers from, you can check it out at this NCAA website. How do I know these numbers? Because I spent decades of my life volunteering in Durham trying to convince young kids (most of them ADOS) to choose STEM (engineering) instead of trying a career in fields with a 1% success rate (99% failure rate). Unfortunately, too many like to chase shiny objects, glamorous and celebrity lifestyles. Ignoring statistics and probabilities.  When they fail, they blame the system. 

I watch one of YC's latest videos. Various people tried to organize ADOS chapters, so they can start raising money to support candidates for office in the upcoming elections. YC didn't want anything to do with it. She got into twitter war with some angry ADOS people out in Cali, Texas, Georgia. That's your leader. She has no concrete plans for ADOS, except to make money for herself on YouTube. 

For weeks now, Antonio Moore  has been blaming everyone about the Jail issue in Mississippi. Antonio is a lawyer. He could have filed a lawsuit or gather people to file a lawsuit. HELL NO. Too hard for him to do. Instead, he rather have someone else do it for him. 
What a bunch of losers !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Matthias said:

What does 400+ years of a weight on our shoulders have to do with our status in this country?  You don't understand what you're saying.  Yet even for the best of us, we still fall far behind the most average white American.  A black college grad has less wealth than a white high school drop out.  How does your "decision making" take comes into play with that?  You telling me a high school drop out has made better decisions than a college grad?  Even poor white people have more wealth than half of all black families in America. (and more than half)  So how are, what you might call "failures" in white America, doing better than more than half of all our people in this country?

I think there is a bit of both at play here.  Yes many ADOS have an issue with decision making that we need to address.  BUT, a huge factor in that is the lineage of slavery, Jim Crow and overall racism that led to a situation with so few black people having good role models in their immediate sphere to watch and learn from.  And in addition to the role model aspect, there aren't enough successful people in general in their sphere, be it friends or family...that they can talk to and model their behavior after.  I had a buddy in high school that was a few years younger than me, but we were inseparable my senior year (his sophomore year).  I was a really good influence on him and he was starting to mimic my good habits and was on a path to be successful.  Then I left for college and he ended up with his old friends, none of which were on a path to succeed.  His life fell apart in his junior year.  I can't help but think that his entire life path would have been different had I not left for college.

And to respond to the part about high school drop outs vs a college grad...yes I've seen the high school dropout type person make far better decisions than some college grads, leaving them in a better situation and set up better for life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The number of athletes/celebs/lottery winners setting up themselves, families, and future generations is minute, just like the actual number of them doing so.  It's not a viable strategy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, blackcat said:

The number of athletes/celebs/lottery winners setting up themselves, families, and future generations is minute, just like the actual number of them doing so.  It's not a viable strategy.  

The number of people who are positively impacted by having an athlete/celeb/etc in their orbit can extend far beyond the number of athletes/celebs/etc.  It also resonates.  My wife has an athlete uncle, and it allowed her to go to private school, which in turn led to a different path than the one she would have been on had he not made it.  There are so many people in that family that are better off because he "made it."  I don't have an issue with young black men going for the gold, because it creates a path for them to attend college. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

The number of people who are positively impacted by having an athlete/celeb/etc in their orbit can extend far beyond the number of athletes/celebs/etc.  It also resonates.  My wife has an athlete uncle, and it allowed her to go to private school, which in turn led to a different path than the one she would have been on had he not made it.  There are so many people in that family that are better off because he "made it."  I don't have an issue with young black men going for the gold, because it creates a path for them to attend college. 

 

Can't argue with that, I'm glad things worked out the way they did for your wife.  I honestly think education is the the best way to improve one's situation.  If a young person has dreams of being the next Michael Jordan, and a college education is a byproduct of that, that's great. 

  • Beer 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, JoePanther said:

We are discussing numbers here. You are an engineer. Engineers work with hard data. In case you wonder where I got my numbers from, you can check it out at this NCAA website. How do I know these numbers? Because I spent decades of my life volunteering in Durham trying to convince young kids (most of them ADOS) to choose STEM (engineering) instead of trying a career in fields with a 1% success rate (99% failure rate). Unfortunately, too many like to chase shiny objects, glamorous and celebrity lifestyles. Ignoring statistics and probabilities.  When they fail, they blame the system. 

I watch one of YC's latest videos. Various people tried to organize ADOS chapters, so they can start raising money to support candidates for office in the upcoming elections. YC didn't want anything to do with it. She got into twitter war with some angry ADOS people out in Cali, Texas, Georgia. That's your leader. She has no concrete plans for ADOS, except to make money for herself on YouTube. 

For weeks now, Antonio Moore  has been blaming everyone about the Jail issue in Mississippi. Antonio is a lawyer. He could have filed a lawsuit or gather people to file a lawsuit. HELL NO. Too hard for him to do. Instead, he rather have someone else do it for him. 
What a bunch of losers !!!

Now, since you want to get into my realm, let’s get into my realm. You’re talking STEM and Black Americans. The unemployment and underemployment rate for Black Americans in STEM is the highest of all the races and ethnicity here in the United States. So, Black Americans are going towards STEM fields, but even when we do, we are not getting hired and/or we are being severely underpaid. If more Black Americans go in these fields, what do you believe will happen @JoePanther? It’s simple; more of us will be unemployed or underemployed. 
chasing the “shiny object” is a lot more appealing when you come from crippling poverty, and the starting salary for an engineer is between 55,000 - 65,000. It’s even lower for a Black American. Back in 1990, my fathers salary to start out was 19,000. He was severely underemployed. Now, with me coming out of college owing loans for the next 10 years, that 55,000 is little money when I’m trying to get myself and family off the ground. Me, being an engineer, saves no one but myself and the family I create. It doesn’t get any of my other family members out of poverty. You’re just spitting numbers out there with no rhyme or reason. As an engineer, not only do I deal with hard data, but I analyze said data, something that you seem to skip.

As for your Yvette and Tone nonsense. It’s just you being disingenuous again, and using political tactics to persuade the minds of others. “These are your leaders!!11” I have no leader when it comes to fighting for my people, and chapters continue to form without the consent of the two you continue to prop up as “leaders.” I don’t know why I’m even having an ADOS discussion with you. You are not for reparations, and you’re not an ally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

If more Black Americans go in these fields, what do you believe will happen @JoePanther? It’s simple; more of us will be unemployed or underemployed. 
chasing the “shiny object” is a lot more appealing when you come from crippling poverty, and the starting salary for an engineer is between 55,000 - 65,000. It’s even lower for a Black American. Back in 1990, my fathers salary to start out was 19,000.

I started @ $35k/year in 1994 after completing a MS in computer science. I was a tech support engineer answering phones. Talk about underemployed.  :) I moved to $55k within 2 years after taking a Software Development role. I hit $100k/year 5 years later and by the time I stopped working for corporate America, I was making over $200k/year. There were bumps along the road. Lost my job in 2006/2007 with the financial crisis. Learned lessons, got back on my feet and moved on. Me and my wife owned rental properties for years so that when our kids graduated, we had money to pay for their college. Here is a simple math for you: $100k per year average for 20 years in Corporate America is $2M. That's how you become a millionaire. There were tons of ADOS with me along the way. In fact, many companies I worked for were intentionally hiring within the ADOS communities so they could meet various government quotas. I had been to recruiting trips to various HBCUs: A&T, Central, Shaw, St. Augustine, ... etc.  However, the higher one goes into Corporate America, the fewer ADOS are in technical roles. The main reason (at least at my various stops) is that many Engineers chose the Managerial tracks early in their careers.

Stop spreading the myth that we need to become Athletes or Celebrities to hit millions in income. Our people do not have the patience and it clouds their judgements and decision making.  Life is a Marathon, not a Sprint. When you understand that, your decisions making process changes. What's wrong with becoming a millionaire at age 50 versus at age 25?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoePanther said:

I started @ $35k/year in 1994 after completing a MS in computer science. I was a tech support engineer answering phones. Talk about underemployed.  :) I moved to $55k within 2 years after taking a Software Development role. I hit $100k/year 5 years later and by the time I stopped working for corporate America, I was making over $200k/year. There were bumps along the road. Lost my job in 2006/2007 with the financial crisis. Learned lessons, got back on my feet and moved on. Me and my wife owned rental properties for years so that when our kids graduated, we had money to pay for their college. Here is a simple math for you: $100k per year average for 20 years in Corporate America is $2M. That's how you become a millionaire. There were tons of ADOS with me along the way. In fact, many companies I worked for were intentionally hiring within the ADOS communities so they could meet various government quotas. I had been to recruiting trips to various HBCUs: A&T, Central, Shaw, St. Augustine, ... etc.  However, the higher one goes into Corporate America, the fewer ADOS are in technical roles. The main reason (at least at my various stops) is that many Engineers chose the Managerial tracks early in their careers.

Stop spreading the myth that we need to become Athletes or Celebrities to hit millions in income. Our people do not have the patience and it clouds their judgements and decision making.  Life is a Marathon, not a Sprint. When you understand that, your decisions making process changes. What's wrong with becoming a millionaire at age 50 versus at age 25?

I, I, I, I, I, me, me, me, me...

Good story here, but again, you do not get it. Many who are going for these glam careers, like being an athlete or an entertainer, are doing it not only for themselves but for family. They’re doing it for their mama, they’re doing it for their grandma, for their brothers and sisters that are back home living in horrid conditions. You are only thinking about yourself, and want ADOS to think about themselves. We’ll never rise with your mentality, because their is simply too many of us wealth-less. Slavery and Jim Crow is largely responsible for that. Your way of thinking works if we weren’t locked out of building wealth decades ago. White Americans can focus on themselves, and don’t have to rely on hitting it big, as many of them have family members that have wealth that they can fall on if they don’t make it big. It’s why you see so many young white Americans do things like backpack in Europe. My black ass couldn’t do that, because 1.) I need to go to college and start making a living, and 2.) once I’ve graduated from college, I need to start making some money.

You don’t get it, and this entrepreneurial and look out for self mindstate of yours doesn’t work with our current state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...