• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anybody on here an Excel guru?

Darth Biscuit

I can do this manually but I want to automate it since I'll probably have to do it again...

I have a spreadsheet with 4 columns...

A, B, C, D

A is a sequential number

D is an elevation

I need a formula that says if column A is X then Average the values in column D.

It'd be even better if it said if the value in A is equal, then average D.  Make it a little more automated, but either will do.

Is this even possible?

what you are asking for seems like a very basic IF formula. 

=IF(A1=XX, Average(D1:D4),0).  you can set XX to be another cell and then type in the sequential value you are looking for.  this formula would show either the average you want or a zero, based on the lookup of XX

If you don't want the cell to be a o if it doesn't match you can actual have it be blank or plugin a text statement if you want.

what you are asking for seems like a very basic IF formula. 

=IF(A1=XX, Average(D1:D4),0).  you can set XX to be another cell and then type in the sequential value you are looking for.  this formula would show either the average you want or a zero, based on the lookup of XX

If you don't want the cell to be a o if it doesn't match you can actual have it be blank or plugin a text statement if you want.

I think you are correct except that I want it to automatically find the rows it needs in D.

Archived