• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wolves Trying To Find A Third Team To Facilitate Love Trade

What happened was someone tried to combine the rumors on ESPN.

According to HoopsHype, once L.A. found out that Thompson may be available, they offered their 7th overall pick for Thompson and GSW declined.

I guess it would probably take #9, #24, and Zeller for Thompson (i.e. too much).

I don't see that as too much to give up for Thompson. The kid has improved each season, and has the ability to continue to improve. He would be a big upgrade at SG, and still give us a player with a season left on his deal. With Walker, Thompson, MKG and Jefferson - the missing piece would be a starting caliber PF. We could bring back McRoberts, or head into free agency. We could target a player like Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph (if he opts out), Greg Monroe, or Marcin Gortat (would mean moving Jefferson to PF). Any of those four guys would be an upgrade at PF or C, leaving us with a potentially improved starting line up:

PG: Walker

SG: Thompson / Henderson

SF: MKG 

PF: Gasol/Randolph/Monroe or Jefferson

C: Jefferson or Gortat 

Now perhaps giving up two first round picks and a first round selected player from last year's draft is too much. But we are in win now mode, and in that mode we have to make the additions to help give us the best chance to win. If acquiring Klay Thompson gives us the upgrade at SG we need, and then we can make a move to upgrade PF, then this team could become a threat in the east. 

However, the problem with this route would be that Kemba Walker and Klay Thompson would need new contracts next season. Extending those two guys would put us well over the cap if we signed a 'star' player in free agency this off season.

I would love to get Klay Thompson, but I really want Love.  Yet it seems we may not have enough assets to bring him here to Charlotte.  Perhaps in the end if a sorry team like the Suns get Love, we will have a formidable team for him to want to join once he opts out next year.  It would be intense if we got Klay in a three team trade, Love opts out next year and he joins us!  In two years our roster would be...

PG Kemba

SG Klay

SF MKG

PF Love

C  Big Al

What happened was someone tried to combine the rumors on ESPN.

According to HoopsHype, once L.A. found out that Thompson may be available, they offered their 7th overall pick for Thompson and GSW declined.

I guess it would probably take #9, #24, and Zeller for Thompson (i.e. too much).

Thompson isn't worth that much and anyone who thinks he is doesn't know basketball. 

He's a career supporting player. He's Jeff Hornacek. If you try to make him more than that, you will fail. 

It wouldn't take close to that much for Thompson. How do you jump from "#7 not being enough" to "9, 24 and last year's #4"? That's extreme. There is a such thing as "in between" extremes, you know. 

Thompson isn't worth that much and anyone who thinks he is doesn't know basketball.

He's a career supporting player. He's Jeff Hornacek. If you try to make him more than that, you will fail.

It wouldn't take close to that much for Thompson. How do you jump from "#7 not being enough" to "9, 24 and last year's #4"? That's extreme. There is a such thing as "in between" extremes, you know.

Umm it's pretty self explanatory.

They declined the trade that L.A. offered and the talent drop off from the 7th pick to the 9th pick is pretty large. Going from picking Randle/Embiid/Gordon to McDermott is quite a fall for a team that is looking for a power forward.

Not to mention, if GSW is hectic to add Thompson in a deal that would see them landing Love, why in the world would they offer Thompson for the 9th pick, 24th pick, and Zeller (which alone wouldn't get Love).

Common sense...

One thing I noticed from your posts is that you have no concept of value. Thompson's value to GSW is on par with MKG's value to Charlotte.

Value is to be judged by the teams trading the players because at the end of the day they are the one's signing off on the deal.

I would love to get Klay Thompson, but I really want Love.  Yet it seems we may not have enough assets to bring him here to Charlotte.  Perhaps in the end if a sorry team like the Suns get Love, we will have a formidable team for him to want to join once he opts out next year.  It would be intense if we got Klay in a three team trade, Love opts out next year and he joins us!  In two years our roster would be...

PG Kemba

SG Klay

SF MKG

PF Love

C  Big Al

The only stumbling block to adding Love in free agency would be what cap space will we have next season?

For 2015-16 we would have the following players under contract:

- Al Jefferson, $13.5 million

- MKG, $6.3 million

- Henderson, $6 million

- Zeller, $4.2 million

That totals $30 million before the Kemba and Klay's extensions, and doesn't include us re-signing Josh McRoberts [and Cho wants him back]. Let's say that Kemba signs the same contract as Jeff Teague (4-year, $32 million contract) and Klay signs the same contract as Andre Iguodala (4 year, $48 million contract). That will lead to us adding Kemba and Klay to the list of players under contract:

- Klay, $12 million

- Kemba, $8 million

- MKG, $6.3 million

- Henderson, $6 million

- Zeller, $4.2 million

That totals $50 million for those six players. This is without considering any draft picks from 2014 or 2015, or any free agents we add. This also works on the basis that we don't bring back Josh McRoberts or sign a PF to replace him. The other thing to bare in mind is that Jefferson's and Henderson's third season is a player option, so both guys could opt out. Now Henderson opting out wouldn't be the end of the world, but Jefferson opting out could lead to an expensive new contract being required, especially if he continues or improves his current level of play.

Now last season the salary cap stood at $58.679 million, and the luxury tax was set at $71.748 million. I have seen projections that say the cap could rise to $63.2 million, and the luxury tax rises to $77 million for next season (2014-15), and that it could go up again for the following season (2015-16). With that in mind, we would be at least $21.748 million under the luxury tax threshold. So I assume we would have enough cap space to offer Kevin Love a max contract, and flesh out the remainder of the roster. But with extensions to Kemba, Klay, and potentially Jefferson, we could end up over the luxury tax threshold with the addition of a max level contract for Kevin Love. 

The only issue I would have with the addition of Love is that him and Jefferson are not known for being very good defensively. Pairing them both gives us question marks at PF and C in terms of defense. It might not be an issue if the other starts make up for it. But I think we can potentially get a good PF that can help take us to that next level, while bringing good offense and defense to boot. But if we do make a play for Kevin Love, I would be more than happy to see him come here. 

The only stumbling block to adding Love in free agency would be what cap space will we have next season?

For 2015-16 we would have the following players under contract:

- MKG, $6.3 million

- Henderson, $6 million

- Zeller, $4.2 million

That totals $30 million before the Kemba and Klay's extensions, and doesn't include us re-signing Josh McRoberts [and Cho wants him back]. Let's say that Kemba signs the same contract as Jeff Teague (4-year, $32 million contract) and Klay signs the same contract as Andre Iguodala (4 year, $48 million contract). That will lead to us adding Kemba and Klay to the list of players under contract:

- Klay, $12 million

- Kemba, $8 million

- MKG, $6.3 million

- Henderson, $6 million

- Zeller, $4.2 million

That totals $50 million for those six players. This is without considering any draft picks from 2014 or 2015, or any free agents we add. This also works on the basis that we don't bring back Josh McRoberts or sign a PF to replace him. The other thing to bare in mind is that Jefferson's and Henderson's third season is a player option, so both guys could opt out. Now Henderson opting out wouldn't be the end of the world, but Jefferson opting out could lead to an expensive new contract being required, especially if he continues or improves his current level of play.

Now last season the salary cap stood at $58.679 million, and the luxury tax was set at $71.748 million. I have seen projections that say the cap could rise to $63.2 million, and the luxury tax rises to $77 million for next season (2014-15), and that it could go up again for the following season (2015-16). With that in mind, we would be at least $21.748 million under the luxury tax threshold. So I assume we would have enough cap space to offer Kevin Love a max contract, and flesh out the remainder of the roster. But with extensions to Kemba, Klay, and potentially Jefferson, we could end up over the luxury tax threshold with the addition of a max level contract for Kevin Love. 

The only issue I would have with the addition of Love is that him and Jefferson are not known for being very good defensively. Pairing them both gives us question marks at PF and C in terms of defense. It might not be an issue if the other starts make up for it. But I think we can potentially get a good PF that can help take us to that next level, while bringing good offense and defense to boot. But if we do make a play for Kevin Love, I would be more than happy to see him come here. 

We could trade away Hendo and Zeller, getting rid of their contracts if I understand how the NBA cap works.  After that, it would definitely be hard finding some cap space for such a group.

Umm it's pretty self explanatory.

They declined the trade that L.A. offered and the talent drop off from the 7th pick to the 9th pick is pretty large. Going from picking Randle/Embiid/Gordon to McDermott is quite a fall for a team that is looking for a power forward.

Not to mention, if GSW is hectic to add Thompson in a deal that would see them landing Love, why in the world would they offer Thompson for the 9th pick, 24th pick, and Zeller (which alone wouldn't get Love).

Common sense...

One thing I noticed from your posts is that you have no concept of value. Thompson's value to GSW is on par with MKG's value to Charlotte.

Value is to be judged by the teams trading the players because at the end of the day they are the one's signing off on the deal.

We don't know whether #7 + a good player would've been enough for Thompson, so your next step proposal shouldn't have been two picks + a good player. I'm well aware of the fact that teams use the word "value" to try to increase their return. Just because GS wants more than Thompson is worth, doesn't mean he's actually worth as much as they want. Same with MKG. The market tends to win out in the end, as teams usually get less than what they started out asking for. 

We don't know whether #7 + a good player would've been enough for Thompson, so your next step proposal shouldn't have been two picks + a good player. I'm well aware of the fact that teams use the word "value" to try to increase their return. Just because GS wants more than Thompson is worth, doesn't mean he's actually worth as much as they want. Same with MKG. The market tends to win out in the end, as teams usually get less than what they started out asking for.

The market tends to win out, I agree but if you're GSW you don't have to trade him if he's not unhappy or not asking for a trade.

But Golden State isn't in the driver's seat, Minnesota is. If they want Love, they probably do have to trade him.

Golden State isn't in the drivers seat but they're not sitting in the backseat either... why trade one of your best players for a player that is going to be a free agent in a year. Not to mention, it's a foregone conclusion that Love is not staying in Minnesota.

Now if they get the package that is rumored to be offered (Love, Martin, Barea, and the 13th pick); then I say go for it.

Golden State isn't in the drivers seat but they're not sitting in the backseat either... why trade one of your best players for a player that is going to be a free agent in a year. Not to mention, it's a foregone conclusion that Love is not staying in Minnesota.

Now if they get the package that is rumored to be offered (Love, Martin, Barea, and the 13th pick); then I say go for it.

Who says Love is going to Golden State after next season if they don't get him now? We could go back and forth on this. If Minnesota agrees to that deal, they are morons. David Lee is brittle, and Thompson could leave first chance he gets since they still won't be any good, and would probably be even worse than they are now.

Who says Love is going to Golden State after next season if they don't get him now? We could go back and forth on this. If Minnesota agrees to that deal, they are morons. David Lee is brittle, and Thompson could leave first chance he gets since they still won't be any good, and would probably be even worse than they are now.

He may not go to GSW (or re-sign if traded), which is why you don't trade away good players for rentals.

That's trading basics 101.

If Minnesota wants any chance at getting compensations for Love, they have to sell low. If they think they can re-sign him (not likely), they'll sell high.

Chicago, GSW, and Houston are not going to give the farm for what might be a rental.

Archived