• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

That "being slighted feeling"...

Hotsauce

I actually never really put all of this together but, it starts at the top.

Meaning:

Dave Gettlemen was passed over a couple times for his first GM gig, including being passed over TWICE by the Browns (LOL)!

How many HC interviews did Ron Rivera go on? I feel like it was 9 if memory serves me correctly?

Sean McDermott got slighted by Philly, Mike Shula was dead and buried (ok mostly by us, but still...)

Our QB is one of the greatest, winningest, National Champion college QBs and even with those accolades, almost everyone doubted him...

And we know the story this year with the lack of respect even with the best record in football. 

Its very interesting when you put all of these pieces together and look at the team it created. I guess like most, I only looked at just the players history of being slighted, but it's much more than that, it has been our entire organization, from the top down. That's the key...there's your grit. 

We lost some of that grit at 14-0.  Hopefully we have found it again at 14-1, and will use it all the way to the Lombardi...

There is literally nothing left of the dead horse that is the "lack of respect" angle in relation to the Panthers at this point.

Sure extra motivation helps, but at the end of the day, these are men, and they are capable of striving for greatness without needing to be "disrespected" every 5 minutes just to get them going. If that were the case, we wouldn't be sitting at 14 wins right now considering all the circumstances we have dealt with.

7 minutes ago, TheRed said:

There is literally nothing left of the dead horse that is the "lack of respect" angle in relation to the Panthers at this point.

Sure extra motivation helps, but at the end of the day, these are men, and they are capable of striving for greatness without needing to be "disrespected" every 5 minutes just to get them going. If that were the case, we wouldn't be sitting at 14 wins right now considering all the circumstances we have dealt with.

I agree with you, this is not some big "ah ha" moment for motivation right now.  This is more of an observation I had as to what made this team who they are. 

8 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I agree with this to an extent. Players notice that kind of talk from the media and other players. They're human after all. Rivera even mentioned it in his last presser about how we "crashed the party." I think they are using it as motivation.

A lot of people in this organization have been slighted by other people throughout their careers. Most people in life have been to an extent. They are all ultimate competitors so of course they are gonna use it as motivation. If that's what they need to do then more power to them.

6 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I think the disrespect card does motivate players in the NFL who are very prideful and egocentric. It is rare for players end up being humble like Luke . This Sint a knock on Cam or Josh in the least but they are both very concerned with how they are being perceived by others and have huge egos so I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. On the other hand, it only goes so far and isn't as important as preparation, athletic ability and chemistry with teammates. So I agree with your conclusion but do think that it is more motivation for some players versus others. 

Archived