• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Plax to prison today...

Darth Biscuit

Most of the time I hate how players are made examles of in the courts, when the crimes are victimless or with mitigating circumstances. A year or two ago my family hired a guy to do some contracting work with us, who was unemployed and just got out of jail. He was drafted by an NFL team (probably the Panthers, since he was imprisoned in NC), went to a party and had sex with a girl who said she was 21. Two weeks later he was brought up on stat rape charges. He was convicted and at sentencing the judge explicitly said in front of everyone that he was going to make an example of the guy, and he got like 2 years and I think he got sex offender status.

They just ruin these guys' careers over nothing, and I can't stand that. Plax shot himself in the leg. The other guy was basically trapped. It's rediculous. Judges shouldn't make examples out of anyone, just enforce the laws and sentence convicts appropriately.

they usually are not made example of in courts. stallworth was made an example? If you ran over someone drunk and killed them, you'd still be in jail.

OJ? need i say anything about oj?

there are countless examples of pro athletes and the rich getting away with things normal people would get sentences.

Plax ruined his career, not a judge or jury. He did enforce the law and sentenced him appropriately. He didnt over sentence him. You are just used to people getting away with everything. As i said in another post.... what if plax shot you by accident in the leg? There is a reason you arent allowed to carry a gun in NY and transport it across state lines. Do the crime, do the time.

Doesn't sound like his first day went to well...probably because Riker's Island (and most other jails across the country) is filled with imprisoned Cowboy fans.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/24/plaxico-burress-heckled-by-fellow-inmates-upon-arrival-at-rikers/

Plaxico Burress received a rude welcome to prison life Tuesday. When he arrived at Rikers Island to begin a two-year sentence, his fellow inmates taunted him -- sometimes obscenely -- and heckled him with taunts of "Giants Suck," jail guards told the New York Post.

"He was depressed," one of the guards told the Post after Burress spent his first night behind bars. "He was trying to keep to himself, but everyone was yelling at him."

The NY Gun law is flawed and 2yrs is steep for what he did

But It would have been more wrong if they let him off because of his "Celebrity"

I got NO Sympathy for Plex, and I don't look at it like they made an example out of him. His crime carries a 2yr mandatory, so it should be no different it was plex me you whoever, if they let him off with a lesser sentence then whats on the books it would have completely undermined Bloombergs law.

The law is more destructive than the crime, imo. Guess cruel and unusual punishment is ok.

I understand that the law is for a mandatory 2 year sentence and the judge didn't have any leeway on that... the law is stupid... what I don't understand is why the sentencing guidelines don't take prior convictions, etc. or the lack thereof into account. No, Plax should not be doing 2 years for this, but it's the law and until NY changes it, not much can be done I suppose.

Doesn't sound like his first day went to well...probably because Riker's Island (and most other jails across the country) is filled with imprisoned Cowboy fans.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/09/24/plaxico-burress-heckled-by-fellow-inmates-upon-arrival-at-rikers/

Plaxico Burress received a rude welcome to prison life Tuesday. When he arrived at Rikers Island to begin a two-year sentence, his fellow inmates taunted him -- sometimes obscenely -- and heckled him with taunts of "Giants Suck," jail guards told the New York Post.

"He was depressed," one of the guards told the Post after Burress spent his first night behind bars. "He was trying to keep to himself, but everyone was yelling at him."

Nice work :D

Archived