• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Last roadblock removed for L.A. stadium

Kevin Greene

I still don't think L.A is going to embrace someone else's trash. L.A fans are fickle fair weather fans the L.A honeymoon will last maybe a season or two but unless the team is in SB contention every season, it's Black-Out Baby

i agree. theres a reason no team has been there for years now.

Yeah that was sweet when the Panthers were in the NFC west, now I got to wait the 2-3yr rotation for Oak or SF

I still don't think L.A is going to embrace someone else's trash. L.A fans are fickle fair weather fans the L.A honeymoon will last maybe a season or two but unless the team is in SB contention every season, it's Black-Out Baby

i agree. theres a reason no team has been there for years now.

Pffftt. This is NoCal commenting on things SoCal.

Check the San Fransisco Giants attendance figures at the sh1thole that was Candlestick Park and how it changed once they finally built Pacbell/AT&T Park.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/sfatte.shtml

Pffftt. This is NoCal commenting on things SoCal.

Check the San Fransisco Giants attendance figures at the sh1thole that was Candlestick Park and how it changed once they finally built Pacbell/AT&T Park.

Hehe, Yeah the attendence was up because they were winning 90+ games a season compared to 60 & 70 games at the stick. Now the attendence is falling back down again because the Giants are sh*t again.

Nor-Cal or So-Cal football or baseball Just because you have a new stadium doesn't mean the fans here are going to support a loser.

tough call in my opinion...I can't see Minnesota or Oakland...

Buffalo or San Diego on the list provided would be my best guess.

I'd also like to suggest San Fran...they are itching for a new stadium and there has been lots of talk about them moving further south than they already are, and maybe LA isn't too far a stretch.

My whole issue with LA is that fancy new stadium or not, been there - done that seems to come to mind. How many teams need to go there and fail until they just give up?

I'd also like to suggest San Fran...they are itching for a new stadium and there has been lots of talk about them moving further south than they already are, and maybe LA isn't too far a stretch.

Theres no way San Fran would move, Jeb York is entrenched in the San Fran & 49er culture.

& There proposed Santa Clara stadium goes to the voters next spring with a better then average chance of getting approved.

tough call in my opinion...I can't see Minnesota or Oakland...

Buffalo or San Diego on the list provided would be my best guess.

My whole issue with LA is that fancy new stadium or not, been there - done that seems to come to mind. How many teams need to go there and fail until they just give up?

That's the thing. The Rams, then the Raiders played in the LA Coliseum, built for the 1932 Olympic games. There has never been a Pro Football Stadium built in Los Angeles. The Rams finished out their last years in LA borrowing the Angels baseball stadium.

The Coliseum is akin to the NY football Giants playing today in the old Polo Grounds. The effort to place another team there, and resistance to that by prospective ownership is why LA has been teamless so long.

I also don't think LA would ever embrace the 49ers irregardless of the venue.

Rams/49ers, Raiders/Chargers, Dodgers/Giants, Lakers/well if the Bay area ever had a competitive basketball team, are rivalries that run deep in SoCal vs NoCal history.

Hell, the only reason SoCal keeps NoCal around is so we can steal their water.

lot of people in San Fran area that are pissed about it moving to Santa Clara though

Yeah but San Francisco tried to build a New stadium on the site of the current CandleStick Park and also proposed a stadium in the china basin area were the current AT&T park is located and both times it was shot down by the public errrrrrrrr stupid hippies

So they shouldn't too outraged since the team did give every opportunity to the city and fans to keep the proposed stadium there.

The Santa Clara site is amazing, it will pretty much built in the parking lot of the Great America amusement park & within a few miles of a giant shopping mall, in an upscale area, amenities that no site in SF could match.

Hell, the only reason SoCal keeps NoCal around is so we can steal their water.

:)

Polluted dump would steal our clean air too if they could

Which teams are most likely to relocate?

San Diego is the front-runner because the Chargers have a window each year to get out of their Qualcomm Stadium lease without the threat of a lawsuit. They also want a new stadium and haven't been able to get one done there.

Jacksonville can't get out as easily, but the Jaguars are in a dire situation. Even when they tarp thousands of seats, they can't sell out their games. Others who potentially could relocate down the road are Minnesota, St. Louis, Buffalo and Oakland.

Will the league create a new team for L.A.?

No. Expansion is off the table, and not because the league likes its current format of eight four-team divisions. It's because owners don't want to slice the financial pie 33 ways. Thirty-two is plenty for them.

Why can't a team just pack up the moving vans and go, regardless of what the league says?

If it wants to play in a new stadium -- the only way it would move -- that team would need the support of the NFL, because the venue's financing plan would require help from the league in the form of loans, multiple Super Bowls and other financial assistance.

More:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nfl-farmer25-2009sep25,0,7677040,full.story

Archived