• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"No one can cover Christian McCaffrey 1 on 1"

Jeremy Igo

13 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Preface: I am a big CMC supporter. 

But....

As of now he just does not look like a value whatsoever at pick 8 in the draft. 

Example:

giphy.gif

This is as close to a 1 on 1 drill in the running game as you will ever get. The Bucs safety is playing man on CMC, motions with him the entire pre-snap. 

CMC HAS to be able to get by his man and cut it to the outside where he has blockers. He only had to beat the safety.  If he did, it would have been the longest run so far for him, possibly a TD. 

Unfortunately, CMC has rarely (if ever) been able to get past any first contact at all. 

The 8th pick in the draft should be able to do this, without question. If the Panthers were looking for a receiving back who cannot get past anyone they already had one on the roster named Fozzy. So far, that draft pick is looking mighty suspect with such glaring weaknesses elsewhere on the roster. 

Honestly I think we should all come down and ask ourselves this question. Is the OC really giving CMC enough carries to get in a rhythm running the ball?  I don't think so. I have been saying all season that CMC, CAP, and Curtis need to be main runners in this offense. Use Stew late in games to beat teams the fugged down and mix in play action. 

GUESS WHAT?!?

The only hole i've seen open up for a running back happened when CAP was in the game last week. I watch teams like the Saints and Chiefs consistently open holes for their running backs. This isn't an issue of ability, it is a huge issue of play design and blocking scheme. There simply are not holes to run through; the interior of the line isn't getting offer their blocks and up to the second level and tight ends aren't being used to get up field and on to the linebackers.

It's as if Mike Shula designs plays with a "hat on a hat" mentality with the front four but doesn't plan for the lineman to get up the field to reach and seal off the linebackers to open a lane for our guys. 

21 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I've been worried ever since the end of the preseason...  it's weird.  He made yards out of nothing during the preseason.  He looked quick, explosive, and elusive.  Week 1, that all ended.  Initially, I thought maybe it was just some rookie mental adjustment needed...  but, it became painfully clear, no...  It is a physical AND mental issue, but mostly physical.  He can't elude defenders and once they get their hands on him, he's down.  Then mentally, it appears he started overthinking it as a result of his lack of success and then i started noticing him running into contact instead of running away from it...  he would have a whole side of the field open for a punt return and one man to beat and he would run straight into that one man.  It's pretty painful to watch.

Oh well, Gettleman blows another first rounder...

It is a coaching issue. Play design is terrible, as it always has been, the blocking scheme sucks, and literally no one other than Cam Newton can run because he gets the linebackers back peddling at the snap. Our offensive line isn't getting up the field to take out the second level and the tight ends aren't sealing the edge or getting up to the safeties, 

18 hours ago, Bj-Monster23 said:

Honestly I think we should all come down and ask ourselves this question. Is the OC really giving CMC enough carries to get in a rhythm running the ball?  I don't think so. I have been saying all season that CMC, CAP, and Curtis need to be main runners in this offense. Use Stew late in games to beat teams the fugged down and mix in play action. 

The safety came down hill hard and was taking the edge away, to which CMC cut up inside and the defensive end who was left unblocked was there to take that inside cut away. 

Archived