• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The case against retreads

Mr. Scot

Nobody ever thought that Seifert was a particularly great coach. He skated by and won a Super Bowl with Walsh's players. Similar to how Gruden won a Super Bowl with Dungy's players and Tomlin won a Super Bowl with Cowher's players.

Apparently somebody did, since he was hired to coach this team.

Jerry Richardson isn't the best coaching evaluator out there. Remember that he originally tried to hire Steve Spurrier to replace Seifert.

And as I remember it, a lot of people here felt snubbed that we didn't get Spurrier.

You evaluate things as if people were given the same hindsight back then that we have now.

Jerry Richardson isn't the best coaching evaluator out there. Remember that he originally tried to hire Steve Spurrier to replace Seifert.

That was all rumor. There was never any indication that we contacted Spurrier at all. Heck, the Redskins signed him pretty much before anyone else even had a shot at an interview.

Zimmer had a lot of good years running the Cowboys defense.

he was also fired. Couldn't put together another good year until this year.

There are other DCs out there that have more consistent backgrounds and aren't currently lamenting their spousal tragedy.

Well, seeing how no coach has won a SB with 2 different teams, maybe the law of averages is in our favor if we hire a retread. Cowher in particular is interesting. Being on the sidelines for 3 years now may have reignited the fire in him. He lives in Carolina. Of all the retreads, him and Dungy (who I don't think will ever coach again) are the 2 best candidates for consideration. IMHO, of course..

he was also fired. Couldn't put together another good year until this year.

There are other DCs out there that have more consistent backgrounds and aren't currently lamenting their spousal tragedy.

Zimmer was never fired. You might be thinking of Frazier. Marvin Lewis fired him from the Bengals a few years back.

Zimmer was Cowboys DC from 2000 to 2006, years when the Cowboys had some pretty good defensive units. In 2007, he wasn't under contract and Bobby Petrino hired him as his DC (lateral move). After the Petrino disaster, he moved on to the Bengals and has been there since.

He's been talked about as a head coaching candidate for years but hasn't made the jump.

I'm thinking of him 'leaving' his successful gig with the Cowboys. Which rarely happens with Parcells guys.

I dunno. I'm just not that intrigued. Not that I want a retread.

Parcells was undecided on returning as head coach after that season. There was even the story that he had contacted the Giants about becoming their GM. Zimmer jumped ship while things were still up in the air. A short time later, Parcells confirmed that he'd decided to retire from coaching.

There are other guys I'd be happy with, mind you. Zimmer is just my top choice.

Zimmer was never fired. You might be thinking of Frazier. Marvin Lewis fired him from the Bengals a few years back.

Zimmer was Cowboys DC from 2000 to 2006, years when the Cowboys had some pretty good defensive units. In 2007, he wasn't under contract and Bobby Petrino hired him as his DC (lateral move). After the Petrino disaster, he moved on to the Bengals and has been there since.

He's been talked about as a head coaching candidate for years but hasn't made the jump.

From 2000-2003 the Cowboys finsihed 5-11. In 2004 Bill Parcells started coaching the Cowboys, you know the guy who sucks because he's a retread. 4 years with Parcells the Cowboys averaged 8.5 wins a game.

His first year with the Bengals they went 4-11-1. This year they are having some success, but they did get beaten by 20 today. 3-2 in their last 5 games I suspect the Bengals, like the Broncos are adjusting to their position in the league. I see nothing in Zimmer's resume to indicate he would be a good HC candidate for the Panthers.

From 2000-2003 the Cowboys finsihed 5-11. In 2004 Bill Parcells started coaching the Cowboys, you know the guy who sucks because he's a retread. 4 years with Parcells the Cowboys averaged 8.5 wins a game.

His first year with the Bengals they went 4-11-1. This year they are having some success, but they did get beaten by 20 today. 3-2 in their last 5 games I suspect the Bengals, like the Broncos are adjusting to their position in the league. I see nothing in Zimmer's resume to indicate he would be a good HC candidate for the Panthers.

Even through the Campo years, Zimmer ran decent defenses, even ranking in the top five in total defense one season. Given how much of a doofus Campo was, that's pretty good. The year Parcells took over, they switched to the 3-4 (not Zimmer's specialty) but still ended the season ranked number one.

As to the Bengals, last year the Bengals had the 12th ranked total defense. This year they're 5th overall through 13 weeks, tied for the second lowest points per game with the Colts, and they're doing it with a bunch of guys most people have probably never heard of.

Add in that Zimmer's gotten plenty of talk as a head coaching candidate over the past few years. And this season it's really heated up, to the point that he and Leslie Frazier will probably be the two hottest DCs on the market this offseason.

Even through the Campo years, Zimmer ran decent defenses, even ranking in the top five in total defense one season. Given how much of a doofus Campo was, that's pretty good. The year Parcells took over, they switched to the 3-4 (not Zimmer's specialty) but still ended the season ranked number one.

Definately an indication what a good coach can do.

As to the Bengals, last year the Bengals had the 12th ranked total defense. This year they're 5th overall through 13 weeks, tied for the second lowest points per game with the Colts, and they're doing it with a bunch of guys most people have probably never heard of.

Add in that Zimmer's gotten plenty of talk as a head coaching candidate over the past few years. And this season it's really heated up, to the point that he and Leslie Frazier will probably be the two hottest DCs on the market this offseason.

The thought of Zimmer becoming our head coach is about as exciting as a bowl of cold soup. He might not be a "retread" by your definition because he hasn't been an HC before but he sure has languished as a retread DC for years. He has really only worked under the shadow of other proven DC's that were promoted to HC......Campo, Parcells,and now Marvin Lewis. Oh wait he was the DC under the offensive minded Bobby Petrino in Atlanta.....How did he rank during that season?

Archived