• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFT: No tag for Pep

Boltergeist

Brees was a few years ago during a capped year, and the Chargers already had a player that was comparable in talent to Brees(Rivers.)

Haynesworth had a clause in his contract with the Titans that said they could not franchise tag him for the 2nd time, which was why he 'walked without compensation"

The past is not relevant because this was all during the capped era of NFL. There is no reason we should let Peppers walk without trying to get something out of him, and if we can't, oh well, we'll just keep him on for one last year.

There are always reason why players leave with or without compensation. In Peppers case he has shown he won't sign the tender until the last minute which doesn't allow you to tag and trade him. He can also negate any trade by refusing to come to terms. So his extremely high salary essentially keeps other teams from wanting him and keeps up from wanting to tag him. The point wasn't that the past was relevant or not simply that there are different reasons that players leave without compensation and this situation is surely not unique.

I actually agree we should tag him and either trade him or keep him for one more year. But obviously it isn't our money so it easy for you or I to say so.

I actually agree we should tag him and either trade him or keep him for one more year. But obviously it isn't our money so it easy for you or I to say so.

I just don't see any team trading 2 first rounders for him, unless maybe it is a team with 2 first round picks in one draft, or a team that believes they are one dominate defensive player away from a SB. With the uncertainty of 2011, and what we know for next season, why not give one more go with Pep by tagging him and see if everything can fall into place for us like it did for the Stains this year.

I just don't see any team trading 2 first rounders for him, unless maybe it is a team with 2 first round picks in one draft, or a team that believes they are one dominate defensive player away from a SB. With the uncertainty of 2011, and what we know for next season, why not give one more go with Pep by tagging him and see if everything can fall into place for us like it did for the Stains this year.

If Peppers does enter FA I really can only think of 9 teams other than the Panthers that would make a run at Peppers. Of those 9, I can only say that 2 teams would possibly be willing to trade for him and add Dallas to the trade mix as they are apart of the final 8 and couldn't sign him as a FA.

And to answer your "why not tag him for 2010" with uncerntainly ahead...it's not our money, neither is it Fox and Hurney's. And I do think JR wants Peppers to stay on this team but just like in real estate, there is a fair market price and a selling price. Back in 2007, 2008 and 2009 Peppers fair market price was less than his selling price would be. Now, his selling price is less than his fair market price. No way JR is going to pay full price before hand when he knows there's a really good chance he can get it cheaper once he hits the market.

Archived