• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

Kurb

• 2 months later...

just ordered a game of thrones 4 book bundle for $23. hope it's as good as yaw say it is. also got day by day armageddon (1 and 2), the infection and patient zero. i've been hooked on zombie novels since WWZ. I also want to pick up EX-Heroes seems like a cool book.

just ordered a game of thrones 4 book bundle for $23. hope it's as good as yaw say it is. also got day by day armageddon (1 and 2), the infection and patient zero. i've been hooked on zombie novels since WWZ. I also want to pick up EX-Heroes seems like a cool book.

The series is coming out on HBO in less than a month. So if you have trouble getting into that first book (the first 1/3rd is boring as poo) then maybe the series will help jump start your interests.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished Temeraire.

Not usually my type of book: a "Horatio Hornblower" or "Master and Commander" naval serial style novel about the Napoleonic Wars with one slight historical adaptation... Dragons.

Not usually into Dragon books, this one was pretty damn good. Vivid, tactically interesting, very detailed and quick reading. Not gonna change your life but great for a long plane ride or vacation.

Edited by mmmbeans

• 2 weeks later...

I too bought all the books in "A Song of Fire and Ice" after watching the first couple episodes on HBO. I think being able to picture the characters from the show as I read the first book helps me visualize it and get even more into it.

I'm not a big reader in the first place, so me already being into A Game of Thrones over 200 pages says a lot. I'm going to stay a little bit ahead of the series just so I know what is coming (besides Winter... haha!). I already have some things I am expecting based on the foreshadowing symbolism used.

Martin reminds me a lot of Tolkien, but he just may even be better.

• 2 weeks later...

message 6: by Tacuazin (new)

Feb 01, 2011 12:57am

Tacuazin | 12 comments Books like GRRM's saga? That, my friend, is the question we all want answered.

Some time ago, I gathered some recommendations from other groups. I've read some, but not all, so I cannot give my opinion about the entire list.

* Robin Hobb's Farseer trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy. I am in the middle of the Farseer one, and so far I like it. It is no SoIaF, but it's not bad either.

* Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. This one I've read, and I loved every bit of it.

* R.Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy. It is in my to-read list.

* Steven Erikson's Malazan books. I've been struggling with the first book, and so far I've been defeated. But many others love it, so I personally will give the guy another chance. Sometime in the future.

* Wheel of time has been mentioned before. I have no idea because I've not read even 1 page of it.

* Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince. No idea either.

* Lord of the Isles by David Drake.

Never read any of them so I really don't know, but that was gleamed from a forum that had a thread asking if anything was as good as aSoIaF, and sadly the resounding answer was no.