• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Jason Heyward Nuthugging Thread

Scrumtrilescent

They've got one, his name is Nate McLouth. Bobby just needs to quit jerking him around the lineup. He did the exact same thing with Kelly Johnson.
He's a prototype #7 hitter. No where near the OBP to be a legit leadoff guy. Too many Ks. Not enough walks and SBs.

They've got one, his name is Nate McLouth. Bobby just needs to quit jerking him around the lineup. He did the exact same thing with Kelly Johnson.

I just don't see McLouth as a typical lead off guy.... He might be the best option for the Braves at leadoff though (Is Yunel fast enough?). McLouth wasn't lead off for the Pirates was he?

I just don't see McLouth as a typical lead off guy.... He might be the best option for the Braves at leadoff though (Is Yunel fast enough?). McLouth wasn't lead off for the Pirates was he?

The "typical leadoff guy" line is so much bullshit. I'm not blaming you, its a part of baseball traditon that the Old Boy's Club has struggled/straight out refused to get away from. There's two things a leadoff man needs to do: 1.) Get on base 2.) Get himself in scoring position. McLouth is going to carry an OBP around .350, which gives him #1, and has enough speed and power to do #2 with regularity.

You don't need a burner to have a successful leadoff man. Sure, the steals are nice (they're useless unless he's stealing at at least a 75% clip though) but when it comes down to it, you need somebody capable of getting on base. McLouth is that guy.

He's a prototype #7 hitter. No where near the OBP to be a legit leadoff guy. Too many Ks. Not enough walks and SBs.

I beg to differ sir. A .350 OBP is, although not ideal, plenty to be a successful leadoff man. His blend of speed and power (as outlined above) makes him a fine choice to bat first in the lineup.

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Scrum. They want him to be that guy, but he's just not. He doesn't have nearly the amount of patience required to get on base enough, and his eye is pretty bad too.

I beg to differ sir. A .350 OBP is, although not ideal, plenty to be a successful leadoff man. His blend of speed and power (as outlined above) makes him a fine choice to bat first in the lineup.
Still not high enough for a good leadoff hitter. Needs to be around .400 and be able to not strike out which he does too frequently. Some outs are good outs, especially for a leadoff hitter, but Ks are never that.

Still not high enough for a good leadoff hitter. Needs to be around .400 and be able to not strike out which he does too frequently. Some outs are good outs, especially for a leadoff hitter, but Ks are never that.

.400 is an exceptional OBP, and while I'd love to have that out of the leadoff spot, that's putting your expectations too high. Twelve players in baseball had an OBP of .400 or higher last year and the only leadoff man in that group was Derek Jeter. Futhermore, another 13 players had an OBP of at least .390, and only Denard Span and Chris Coghlan were leadoff hitters in that group. Otis Nixon's name has been thrown around here as a comparison for leadoff hitters, his highest OBP as a Brave was .371, his other two years were right around .350.

And to be honest, I really couldn't care less about how often he strikes out. An out is an out, although some contact outs do result in some positive like moving baserunners over or scoring a run, and they need to be avoided as much as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone see the E:60 with Heyward in it? He describes why he choose 22 as a number. Seems like a down to earth kind of guy.

Yeah I saw it.....good story. It was cool that the mom was out there in right field wearing his jersey when he hit his first home to right field.

Wonder how many people asked her where she got that jersey since no one could by it until after the 5th inning?

Wonder how many people asked her where she got that jersey since no one could by it until after the 5th inning?

Got it customized. When they announced in ST that he'd break camp with the team and wear #22, I ordered one and got it before the season started.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived