• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Potential logo and name.

PantherBrew

King T, your mind and its neural connections and the way you can argue and your attempts to rationalize things, utterly amaze me.

Says the guy who thinks our logo is a self portrait of Bob Johnson. :rolleyes: Probably think he runs Ohio University too. They should change their name too. ;)

... ...

Saying Bob named the team after himself is no different than saying Obama is a muslim or he's not American. Or saying blacks arent smart enough to play QB or point guard. It doesnt matter if isnt true, its the perception thats important. :thumbsup: The ends justifies the means to some folks. And we're suppposed to cater to these people? :frown2:

Actually we are supposed to cater to these opinions. I'm just going to focus on the name change.

1) I believe the people like yourself who support the bobcats now will still continue to support the team thru a name change. The reason is because we don't root for this team solely because of the name, so the bobcats would not lose any fans that are all ready dedicated fans.

Like it or not Bob has left a sour opinion in many residents of the city. This is a fact. Is a because of race? For some people I'm sure that is a motivation. For others it's the way Bob did things or even the Perception of how he did things. It's real and it does matter. We need more fan support to get the team to where we want. This is a business that needs a favorable opinion and support from its local audience. Right now it is not here!!! So it has to be fixed!! The fans don't cater to the team; the team needs to cater to the people. The people who don't support the team now can go about their life and not care about the bobcats... But the bobcats can't afford to not care about the local people, or be perceived that way. Fan support generates $$$, people in the stands, and helps to make charlotte an attractive basketball city for free agents. A name change + continue winning can go a long ways to turning those who were against the bobcats for the bobcats. AND WE NEED THEM.

Yes it would cost $$$ for a name change. But it's my opinion that it would more than pay for itself in the long run.

2) Do I think Bob Johnson named the team after himself.... ummm yea I guess. I just feel I would be naive to think otherwise. However I personally could care less about the origins of the name. I actually like our team colors and our logo so it is what it is.

Like I said this is business, not personal so I am all for whatever is best for the organization going forward. If that means tarnishing Bob Johnsons legacy with the team, so be it. It's business. I am happy he brought the team to Charlotte. Weather I am a fan of him is a mute point. I think he's made mistakes like others. Does he deserve the perceptions he has?? It's arguable, but at this point it's not going to change.

Like I said this is business, not personal so I am all for whatever is best for the organization going forward. If that means tarnishing Bob Johnsons legacy with the team, so be it. It's business. I am happy he brought the team to Charlotte. Weather I am a fan of him is a mute point. I think he's made mistakes like others. Does he deserve the perceptions he has?? It's arguable, but at this point it's not going to change.

Hey its a free country, you can believe what you want. Unfortunately, we live in a capitalistic society that was founded by wealthy merchants. Belief alone doesnt create change. As long as folks like David Stern, Bob Johnson, & Michael Jordan have more capital and wealth than you, they will have the final say on business decisions regarding NBA franchises. Bob is as invested in this team as all of us. As is our entire front office. Those folks are proud of their identity and understand our legacy. If a few close minded folks cant accept that, you chalk it up to collateral damage and keep moving. We will add on to what we're doing in Bobcats nation, not destroy and try to start over. I say the same thing everytime, if you Bob Johnson haters want people to take your movement more seriously, do like Bob did and put your chips up and invest into the Bobcats. Bob put his money where his mouth is 7 years ago, when are you guys gonna one up him? Being you care more about the team than him and all? :rolleyes: Put up some cheese towards a "name change" and maybe it'd be perceived as more than just whiny intolerance.

Hey its a free country, you can believe what you want. Unfortunately, we live in a capitalistic society that was founded by wealthy merchants. Belief alone doesnt create change. As long as folks like David Stern, Bob Johnson, & Michael Jordan have more capital and wealth than you, they will have the final say on business decisions regarding NBA franchises. Bob is as invested in this team as all of us. As is our entire front office. Those folks are proud of their identity and understand our legacy. If a few close minded folks cant accept that, you chalk it up to collateral damage and keep moving. We will add on to what we're doing in Bobcats nation, not destroy and try to start over. I say the same thing everytime, if you Bob Johnson haters want people to take your movement more seriously, do like Bob did and put your chips up and invest into the Bobcats. Bob put his money where his mouth is 7 years ago, when are you guys gonna one up him? Being you care more about the team than him and all? :rolleyes: Put up some cheese towards a "name change" and maybe it'd be perceived as more than just whiny intolerance.

Nevermind... as that wasn't the tone of my post

Nevermind... as that wasn't the tone of my post

Thats KT's argument style, he builds up fake arguments of the oppisition and then argue makes points against them.

For those who don't know, it is called a straw man argument. This is when someone takes points from the original statement and substitutes points that appear to be similar, but are actually quite different. And then argues against the points that he substituted.

It would be more effective if it wasn't so over the top and predictable.

Thats KT's argument style, he builds up fake arguments of the oppisition and then argue makes points against them.

For those who don't know, it is called a straw man argument. This is when someone takes points from the original statement and substitutes points that appear to be similar, but are actually quite different. And then argues against the points that he substituted.

It would be more effective if it wasn't so over the top and predictable.

Why wont you put any money towards the name change cause BruceBrewski? You are the OP. You obviously are very passionate about it. You posted a logo idea and a name. If you think there's alot of Bobcats fans out there and potential fans who are down and feel the same way, why not put your money together towards our Bobcats? Endowments are how you get your name placed on things in this town. :yesnod:

Why wont you put any money towards the name change cause BruceBrewski? You are the OP. You obviously are very passionate about it. You posted a logo idea and a name. If you think there's alot of Bobcats fans out there and potential fans who are down and feel the same way, why not put your money together towards our Bobcats? Endowments are how you get your name placed on things in this town. :yesnod:

Money isn't the only way to make changes.

But, I do all that is possible for me personally. I buy tickets to the games and I support the team.

You act as if I dont support the team because of their name. I have been to several bobcats games, and I am one of the more vocal people.

I think the people who are wanting to change the name are being loud and clear. Because if they weren't this wouldn't be an issue.

and don't give the "Observer is against the Cats" crap. You sound like Rush Limbaugh.

I've still yet to hear anyone bitch about the team's name IRL. Just seems to happen in internets chatter.

Basically. And with no money behind the movement, thats all it is, just chatter.

If you're a Bobcats fan, be a Bobcats fan. The team appreciates your support at games and understands none of this would be possible without the fans. At the same time, we're building something special over here. A legacy, a commitment to excellence on the basketball court & in the community. Learn that, respect that, appreciate that, understand that. This is nothing new too, its been the vision from day one.

So before you think as a fan its OK to just ditch everything and start over, understand other fans are secure and in love with our identity and feel like the sky is the limit for this team. Even though we havent tasted success prior to this season, we do have a history and young legacy. The announcement of our team name and colors on Trade & Tryon was SPECIAL. The first Bobcats game in the new TWC Arena was SPECIAL. The Bobcats triple OT game against the Lakers in 06 was SPECIAL. Gerald's game winning tip in this season was SPECIAL. Beating the poo outta the Lakers & Cavs this season is SPECIAL. Watching our franchise face Gerald Wallace progress into an all star is SPECIAL. Losing to so many buzzer beaters and close games over the past 5 years has made us into the team & organization we are today. Stop tryna erase that, and if you're fan, respect other fans including our biggest one, Robert L. Johnson.

Look, you buffoon, the fans said very clearly in a poll taken by the Observer they wanted a new name and a new identity. If you want to keep Bobcats, I really don't give a rat's ass. I have a Bobcats hoodie and it's one of my favorite shirts in the winter.

Quit twisting the argument around to fit your racist agenda. Fans never liked Bobcats, and many on your side of the fence have even said it took a while to grow on them.

The team's new owner is one of the black icons of American history. How him changing the name to suit the fans desires is an anti-black conspiracy is something that could only come from your George Jefferson mind.

Look, you buffoon, the fans said very clearly in a poll taken by the Observer they wanted a new name and a new identity. If you want to keep Bobcats, I really don't give a rat's ass. I have a Bobcats hoodie and it's one of my favorite shirts in the winter.

Quit twisting the argument around to fit your racist agenda. Fans never liked Bobcats, and many on your side of the fence have even said it took a while to grow on them.

The team's new owner is one of the black icons of American history. How him changing the name to suit the fans desires is an anti-black conspiracy is something that could only come from your George Jefferson mind.

Because wannabe, we've never seen anything like this before. Fans so avidly wanting to play "owner" instead of just enjoying the quality entertainment that is laid before them in a winning season. The Disturber is just 1 newspaper. And not a very good one at that, who cares what they say. Their poo aint even archived past 1980, what they say dont stand the test of time, thats a fact. And with no money behind the movement, its just chatter. Meanwhile, us Bobcats fans are excited beyond belief about the history that is being made this season. Bob, Larry, Mike, they all done good, and made this city look very respectable at least when it comes to pro basketball. TWC Arena is a special place, a place of diversity, of fun, entertainment, family, and great basketball. Our founder did what he set out to do, and now we are finally enjoying the fruits of his labor in 2010. :cool:

Because wannabe, we've never seen anything like this before. Fans so avidly wanting to play "owner" instead of just enjoying the quality entertainment that is laid before them in a winning season. The Disturber is just 1 newspaper. And not a very good one at that, who cares what they say. Their poo aint even archived past 1980, what they say dont stand the test of time, thats a fact. And with no money behind the movement, its just chatter. Meanwhile, us Bobcats fans are excited beyond belief about the history that is being made this season. Bob, Larry, Mike, they all done good, and made this city look very respectable at least when it comes to pro basketball. TWC Arena is a special place, a place of diversity, of fun, entertainment, family, and great basketball. Our founder did what he set out to do, and now we are finally enjoying the fruits of his labor in 2010. :cool:

Saying this though KT, do you really think there isn't people who didn't like the name from day one but still supported the team? Like myself. And I was saying it IRL to my friends... Bob Johnson was still good as gold in my eyes too...

I get both sides of the argument...

Keeping the name - we've already established that as our identity, we're developing a brand, the legacy (good and bad)...

Changing the name - a sort of "fresh start" to go with MJ's era, a "re-branding" of the franchise, possibility of more national appeal, etc.

But, ultimately... You're right in the sense that MJ is THE MAN now. It's ultimately going to be up to him whether there is an "official vote" to decide on a name change. It'll be up to him and it'll be his decision as to whether to go through with a name change after a vote and put money towards it, if there is a vote. I trust MJ, name change or not, to do what's right for the continued success of our franchise. Other than that, I just want WINS...

Archived