• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Absinthe - Is it legal in the US?

Hotsauce

I remember that Peach Moonshine that the Biker Boys brought to the tailgate. Now that was some good poo.

That.....and BMorgan's Mead.

Beer....Absinthe....Moonshine....Mead....Jello Shots....Bubblegum Vodka....Oh yea, and a little bit of food

Damn I can't wait for the first tailgate.

Liver took me to a neighboring tailgate and we had some over there together. Wasn't the best beverage I've ever had, but it was an interesting mix of the booze and the people we were there with!!!

20/20 did a segment on how to drink it about a year ago.

You pour it over ice through like a small collander and let the liguid run into the the glass below. I'll see if I can find the link. They said that is was smooth when prepared the right way. Dunno.

http://www.wikihow.com/Drink-Absinthe

Absinthe is a formerly banned spirit drink that is made with Artemisia absinthium (wormwood) and other herbs. Also known as la fée verte (the green fairy), absinthe was originally formulated during the 18th century by the French-born Dr. Pierre Ordinaire in Switzerland as a digestive tonic. During the 19th century absinthe became a very popular drink in France. Often associated with artists and writers, absinthe was consumed by such figures as Edgar Allan Poe, Vincent van Gogh, Oscar Wilde, and Ernest Hemingway. After being illegal for many years, true absinthe is once again legal in many countries. There are many different types of absinthe, some much more authentic and of higher quality than others. Absinthe is traditionally prepared and enjoyed according to the absinthe ritual.

edit Absinthe Preparation Methods

Classic French Absinthe Ritual

1. 1
    Pour about one ounce (30ml) of absinthe into a glass. There are various types of glasses that can be used, some of antique or historical design and others of more modern design. French absinthe glasses, such as reservoir pontarlier glasses, are quite suitable for the French absinthe ritual. Different styles of reservoir glasses are available, but every style will have a distinct or bulbous bottom area that indicates the amount of absinthe that is to be initially poured.
  2. 2
    180px-Absinthespoongreen_918.jpg

magnify-clip.png Absinthe spoon (various types of absinthe spoons are used)

Lay a flat, perforated absinthe spoon across the rim of the glass, and place a single cube of sugar on the perforated area of the spoon. This is customary but is not necessary. The sugar is traditionally used to balance the bitter taste of the wormwood.
  3. 3
    180px-Absintherituallast_966.jpg

magnify-clip.png Sugar cube laid on absinthe spoon over glass (various types of glasses can be used)

180px-Absinthepitcher_687.jpg

magnify-clip.png Dripping ice cold pure water over sugar into absinthe drink

Drip very pure ice cold water into the absinthe from a small pitcher. This very slow and gradual addition of the water forms the heart of the absinthe ritual, and is done with or without the sugar. When using sugar, the cold water is dripped over the sugar and into the drink, causing the sugar to slowly dissolve into the absinthe. Very high quality absinthe can be expertly experienced simply with the ice cold water.

• Three or four ounces of water are added per ounce of absinthe.

• Ice cubes can be added to the pitcher of water if desired, but be sure that they don't fall into the glass of absinthe.

• As the water is added to the absinthe, the absinthe should gradually louche.

• Absinthe fountains were traditionally used to drip the ice cold water into absinthe drinks.

• Brouilleur devices can also be used to automtically drip the water into individual glasses. The brouilleur is placed over the glass, and water, ice cubes, or ice water (as well as sugar if desired) is added to it. The water will gradually drip through the brouilleur into the absinthe. The brouilleur is removed before drinking the prepared absinthe.

4. 4
    Stir the drink with the absinthe spoon after the water has been added. Two or three ice cubes can be added to the finished drink, but this practice may be frowned upon by absinthe purists.

Archived