• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

5 things we learned from Summer League

Source: Charlotte Observer

1. Gerald Henderson and Derrick Brown can be trusted with bigger roles next season: It's dangerous to put too much weight on summer-league performances - you're supposed to excel against D-Leaguers - but it was obvious Henderson and Brown are figuring out what it takes to be productive on the NBA level.

I agree with this comment one hundred percent, these two guys deserve some playing time. They both earned All-Summer League Second Team and honestly they could have been named first team but they chose to play as a team rather than playing selfish. Nonetheless, the Bobcats have two good athletes in Henderson and Brown and they deserve some time on the court this year.

2. They'd like to make it work with Darius Miles: It seemed telling that Miles stayed in Orlando, even after the decision not to play him in summer-league games to protect his knees. Miles continued working out with the team in pregame shootarounds. That tells me he's motivated to be a Bobcat and they think he has something left.

Unfortunatley I do not agree, the Bobcats signed Dominic McGuire and with Derrick Brown's performance in Summer League I don't see any room for the large small forward. The small forward position is the only position the Bobcats are truly set at, they need some point guard help and it would not be a bad idea to ad a veteran shooting guard and power forward. Also the Cats need to try and get a better force in the middle. Chandler, Mohammed, Diop, and Ajinca are not part of the future.

I think the easiest way to do this is sign a veteran shooting guard, I would take a look at Larry Hughes and Ronald "Flip Murray". Then get rid of Alexis Ajinca and Tyson Chandler for a "GOOD" center and a decent back-up power forward. Then do what you can with the point guard position, maybe just bring in Sherron Collins and Jeremy Pargo.

3. Alexis Ajinca might never figure how to avoid foul trouble: Over the first four games in Orlando, 7-footer Ajinca committed 22 fouls in 75 minutes, a foul for every 31/2 minutes played. And most of the guys he was matched against will not be in the NBA next season.

I just don't see Ajinca being a productive NBA player. He cannot stay out of foul trouble and his only weapon is his outside jumper, which is pretty good for a big man.

4. Sherron Collins probably deserves a training-camp invitation: Of the guys without jobs, former Kansas point guard Collins seemed to have the most potential, particularly with the Bobcats needing depth at the position.

I like Sherron Collins and I like Jeremy Pargo, therefore I do not have a problem with these guys getting a training camp invite and maybe filling a roster spot at the Bobcats empty point guard position.

5. Nathan Jawai should have shown better: Australian center Nathan Jawai can be an NBA center if he wants it enough. Between his size, quickness and skill, he was the best prospect on the Bobcats roster without a guaranteed deal.

I disagree, lets face it Jawai is just a smaller version of Shaq except he is 15 years younger than him, which is very embarrasing. Jawai is just not athletically capable of performing at the NBA level.

Full Article: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/07/11/1555805/5-things-learned-by-watching-bobcats.html

What do you guy's think? Do you agree or disagree and why?

I agree with you on just about every one except for #3. Granted that Ajinca can't seem to stay out of foul trouble I think that in limited minutes he could do decently. In the summer games I watched (3 our of the 5) I feel like he showed a decent amount of offensive capability and I feel like he ran the court very smoothly for a big man.

I agree with you on just about every one except for #3. Granted that Ajinca can't seem to stay out of foul trouble I think that in limited minutes he could do decently. In the summer games I watched (3 our of the 5) I feel like he showed a decent amount of offensive capability and I feel like he ran the court very smoothly for a big man.

I see what your saying, but I feel like Ajinca is probably at best a 2nd string center because of his inability to stay out of foul trouble. Here are his averages for the five summer league games.

Alexis Ajinca Summer League Stats (+ means that it is a positive stat, - means it is a negative stat, and * means the stat is neutral)

Games Played: 5 + (Good to see Ajinca playing all the games)

Games Started: 5 + (Good to see Ajinca starting)

Minutes per Game: 20.0 + (I like seeing him getting some time)

FG %: 0.441 + (This is really good for a big man)

3 Pt. %: 0.000 * (He only shot one three pointer but he is a big)

FT %: 0.813 + (This is really good for a big man)

Off Reb per game: 1.8 - (He really needs to do better)

Def Reb per game: 1.6 - (This really needs to improve)

Reb per game: 3.4 - (He is 7-1, he needs to do better)

Assists per game: 0.4 - (He needs to learn how to distribute)

Steals per game: 0.6 * (Doesn't really matter because he is tall)

Blocks per game: 1.0 + (He is good at blocking shots)

Turnovers per game: 2.0 * (This is alright)

Fouls per game: 5.6 - (He is fouling out every game)

Points per game: 8.6 * (Not bad or good)

Now if he wants to be successful he needs to learn how to rebound on both the offensive and defensive end. A 7-1, center cannot average less than seven rebounds per game. He also needs to learn how to distribute the ball, he holds on to the ball to long in the paint. He either needs to put up a shot or get it out of there, but he can't let little guards come in there and swipe it from him. Finally he needs to learn how to play without fouling. Once he learns how to do these three things he will be ready.

I hope he gets it together, it would be nice to have. His Jumpshot could keep howard out of the paint on the offensive side of the ball.

He's added some weight and is up to 265 (at least that's what they had him listed at in Summer league) or so now....Needs to add some strength to his frame and maybe get up to 275-280 and extend his range a bit more. I don't think he's ever going to be a banger or extremely skilled low post guy, but it's a nice option when your center can hit a 15 footer consistently.

He's still very young at 21/22 and has plenty of time to improve. The team picked up his option and he's got a contract through 2011/2012 and is a restricted FA with a QO of 3.2 million the following year.

Totally agreed on Miles. Brown should be the first back-up behind Crash and McGuire can offer defense and rebounding. No need to take a flyer on a guy like Miles when we've got better options in-house.

Archived