• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

480 GTX vs HD 5970

SmootsDaddy89

Well, there are videos showing the 480 using almost 500W by itself under full load. I don't think it's massive overkill if I still want enough power left over for adding hard drives and poo if I want to.

I can get the 480 for $439 on newegg, so I don't consider that to be too terribly expensive, when I dropped 500+ on an 8800GTX three years ago. If I went with the 5970, then yeah, that's a lot of money for a card, even a dual GPU card. I don't want to have to upgrade cards for another two, preferably three years. I'd rather pay more now than need to upgrade in a year. My 8800 GTX still runs every game out there maxed out at a playable framerate. (Granted, it can't do any of the DX11 stuff on Metro 2033, so that helps a lot.)

I've mostly made up my mind, I'm just curious if anyone has any personal experience with either card before I buy.

I know the 5970 is cooler, quieter, and uses less power than the 480 GTX, while giving a better framerate in 90% of games.

But the 480GTX is better in DX11, especially with tessellation. And also it has physx and 3D Vision support, which yeah, those are gimmicks that few games now are using. But after playing Mirror's Edge with physx on, I can't NOT have it on lol.

I paid 60$ for my 240gt and there's not a game i can't run max on 1400x900. Nobody here has ever owned either of those two cards I'd be willing to wager. :lol:

Why not a 5850? That's probably what I'd go for.

The only real issue with the 5970 is you know it'll drop 50% in price over the next 12 months.

But the 5850 occupies 2 slots and you may not have the space for that.

EDIT: Oh yeah I did have to overclock my card 20% to get a good performance out of it, but it handles it well.

Were you the guy planning on getting that crazy Alienware system? Good to see you're not doing that one.

If you still might be thinking that way the best company for that is Puget Systems. They're not flashy but they are the best customer service in the business. They also use all the factory warranties for the parts which is great.

You could have some issues trying to a fit the massive 5970 into a prebuilt case.

The 480 is no lightweight either.

A lot of good case manufacturers usually put in an extra support around the middle to help hold the weight of the graphics card. That way it's not stressing the motherboard. The motherboard in the Asus is probably going to be on the cheaper side.

Getting a prebuilt and sticking a beefy graphics card in it is a good route to take but make sure you measure your case, check the expansion slots, help the prebuilt out a little because they aren't really made with expansion in mind unless it's a boutique company.

Archived