• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Fox got fired where would he go?

CanadianCat

So if you're so sure he'll go back to being a DC, why not toss out a few names who've taken that path after almost a decade at the top?

Norv Turner is the coach in San Diego. Pete Carroll is the coach in Seattle. Wade Phillips is in Dallas, and Mangini is in Cleveland. All of those coaches had questionable records at the top before being hired by their current organizations. Add to the list Belichick, Shanahan, Coughlin, and Gailey and there's four more who had head coaching experience in the NFL prior to their current jobs. You don't have to be a former coordinator to get the top job, and that's not what everyone's looking for.

You can hate on Fox all you want (and most obviously want to), but if you take a more dispassionate view maybe you'll see that the league has more respect for him than you do, and not every team wants the same things in a coach that you do.

Next year the Panthers will have a new coach. It's not a stretch to think the same for the Giants (they love him in NY), Chargers (he has coaching roots there), 49ers (a team with talent and no consistency), Jaguars (I doubt this big-time), Browns (relationship with Holmgren), and Raiders (who knows why they do what they do?).

All you need is one GM that's looking to build some consistency and wants a player's coach, and Fox will be a very, very safe hire. He may not be the best, but outside Charlotte he's a completely defensible choice for a head coaching job.

There's a saying in IT--no one ever got fired for buying IBM. The same holds true here. Someone will offer Fox because he's a safe hire, and in some places that's all it will take to bring fans to the stadium.

you're looking at this from the wrong angle. teams just aren't hiring retreads much anymore. they are opting for young rookie coaches instead. i'm saying that in all likelihood, with the market the way it is these days, if he's going to be coaching in the NFL it's going to have to be as a DC. there are going to be very few job openings there for him and for the most part they are going to go to rookies.

if he can't get the coaching gig at buffalo or cleveland, he's going to have to be a DC or an HC in the UFL.

it doesn't matter how "respected" fox is in the league. teams are wanting to go progressive and want new blood..that isn't fox.

So if you're so sure he'll go back to being a DC, why not toss out a few names who've taken that path after almost a decade at the top?

Norv Turner is the coach in San Diego. Pete Carroll is the coach in Seattle. Wade Phillips is in Dallas, and Mangini is in Cleveland. All of those coaches had questionable records at the top before being hired by their current organizations. Add to the list Belichick, Shanahan, Coughlin, and Gailey and there's four more who had head coaching experience in the NFL prior to their current jobs. You don't have to be a former coordinator to get the top job, and that's not what everyone's looking for.

You can hate on Fox all you want (and most obviously want to), but if you take a more dispassionate view maybe you'll see that the league has more respect for him than you do, and not every team wants the same things in a coach that you do.

Next year the Panthers will have a new coach. It's not a stretch to think the same for the Giants (they love him in NY), Chargers (he has coaching roots there), 49ers (a team with talent and no consistency), Jaguars (I doubt this big-time), Browns (relationship with Holmgren), and Raiders (who knows why they do what they do?).

All you need is one GM that's looking to build some consistency and wants a player's coach, and Fox will be a very, very safe hire. He may not be the best, but outside Charlotte he's a completely defensible choice for a head coaching job.

There's a saying in IT--no one ever got fired for buying IBM. The same holds true here. Someone will offer Fox because he's a safe hire, and in some places that's all it will take to bring fans to the stadium.

you're looking at this from the wrong angle. teams just aren't hiring retreads much anymore. they are opting for young rookie coaches instead. i'm saying that in all likelihood, with the market the way it is these days, if he's going to be coaching in the NFL it's going to have to be as a DC. there are going to be very few job openings there for him and for the most part they are going to go to rookies.

if he can't get the coaching gig at buffalo or cleveland, he's going to have to be a DC or an HC in the UFL.

it doesn't matter how "respected" fox is in the league. teams are wanting to go progressive and want new blood..that isn't fox.

Well, my point is that MOST teams seem to do that, but not all. Someone may choose to go the old route, these things run in cycles.

The other side of my guess was really not stated well at all. He's not going to be a DC. If he comes back, it will be as an HC. BUT, that probably means he doesn't come back.

I just don't see him stepping back to the DC role, and it's not like he *needs* to work. He'll either be a HC or he'll sit on the couch on Sundays.

Well, my point is that MOST teams seem to do that, but not all. Someone may choose to go the old route, these things run in cycles.

The other side of my guess was really not stated well at all. He's not going to be a DC. If he comes back, it will be as an HC. BUT, that probably means he doesn't come back.

I just don't see him stepping back to the DC role, and it's not like he *needs* to work. He'll either be a HC or he'll sit on the couch on Sundays.

thats pretty much what i've been saying. if he wants to work in the NFL, it will most likely have to be as something other than HC. that isn't saying that he has no choice but to do that. he can retire and wait around for another HC gig but that wouldn't be the best course of action. many former HCs who get the boot from the teams they were with for a long time will have to go into media if they want to stay fresh in owners minds. i don't see fox doing that. he might get a FO job somewhere but i don't really see that as his strength either.

there will only be a few openings this year. in addition to all the young guns who will be taking the lions share of jobs, fox will have to compete with cowher and gruden at least for that one or two job spots that will go to a retread. sorry, but fox doesn't have much of a chance against those two guys....esp. cowher.

you want to see something really discouraging for fox looking for another HC job...start looking at how those new coaches are doing record-wise within the first couple years of landing their job the past few years. then compare it to how the retreads have been doing in recent year in those few instances where they were actually able to land jobs.

Archived