• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Taking plays off...who does and who doesn't?

stankowalski

Then perhaps you should put together a montage of lazy Peppers footage and post it for all the world to see. Fact is, you don't know what you're talking about.

I thought we had reached the low point of lame in this thread....and then I read this post. Let me go ask my boss if I can get off work today, so that I can go home and see if I can splice some game tapes that I can upload to YouTube (even though those clips are property of the NFL). Just go out and google, julius peppers takes plays off. Some of them are not applicable, but read through some of the 583,000 results if you really are that hell bent on proof that no one other than Brenston Buckner has ever said that Peppers takes plays off or doesn't give 100% effort.

I really want to know why so many people think he is lazy. Watching our games he is the guy on our DL who appears to be putting in the most effort. He constantly runs people down from behind or form the other side of the field, when given the all clear he gives QBs hell and he is INCREDIBLY disciplined when it comes to stopping the run.

Most Des appear to give more effort cause they just bomb to the QB everytime and get themselves taken ou the play.

You are exactly right, and these people can offer no proof for their point of view. They just throw words out there without any regards to what is fact and what is pure opinion and speculation. Even if you only want to represent that point of view as YOUR opinion and not a fact, you still would need to present some evidence to back you up. Nobody has, and nobody can. Maybe we just have lazy posters.

The original argument is stupid because you are judging it by tackles and sacks.

What you didn't take into account was the PRESSURE that they put on the quarterback. Peppers didn't put continual pressure on anyone the past couple of years, and if you think he did, you never watched Peppers for an entire game.

Oh, so sacks aren't considered as pressure? What's the matter with you? Hurries aren't kept as an official stat so nobody can use them when defining their argument on either side. I have seen Peppers hurry the quarterback, on many, many, many occasions over the years. I've also watched a great deal of other football games besides the Panthers and I can say confidently that Peppers is hands down one of the top 5 defensive ends in the league. Anybody that knows anything about football will tell you the same thing.

Ok, now who doesn't dipshit? That's the whole point of the thread. Give me a DE that isn't lazy, and I'll prove to you how stupid you are.

And are all these "other players that do it" saying that their team and organization is whats holding them back?

You have to look at the context in which things are said, and what Buckner was indeed replying to.

The entire point is, Peppers is not dominating like how he could be.

Why would a smart guy like Peppers take plays off in his contract year? You wanna know why people think that he did though? It is really simple because in 2007 Peppers did take plays off. I don't want a guy that don't give it his all when things are bad. Me, if I was in the NFL I'd play every play as hard as my body would let me. Even if I was down 50 points. The guy wants out so let him out. Peppers is not the team. No, we wont be able to find another 6'7" DE with his athletic ability but I can find a 4'9" Grandma with more heart. As for Smitty and Williams, they got more heart in there left testacles then Peppers ever had in his life. Let the guy go he is abandoning us all so I suggest we all do the same.

I don't question Smitty or Williams in any aspect of their game. I also don't question Peppers. I've watched every game and I don't see the same things some people do. I want evidence of Peppers taking plays off. I am suggesting that he doesn't and use comparative analysis of players playing the same position to back up my point. There is also plenty of footage out there available, so someone should put together a youtube clip showing all these plays that Peppers is lolly gagging. I haven't seen any visual evidence to support anyone's claims. If you have that evidence, I'd sure like to see it.

Oh, so sacks aren't considered as pressure? What's the matter with you? Hurries aren't kept as an official stat so nobody can use them when defining their argument on either side. I have seen Peppers hurry the quarterback, on many, many, many occasions over the years. I've also watched a great deal of other football games besides the Panthers and I can say confidently that Peppers is hands down one of the top 5 defensive ends in the league. Anybody that knows anything about football will tell you the same thing.

I never said sacks aren't considered pressure... Thanks for putting words in my mouth, though it does show how weak your argument is. And no, hurries aren't an "official stat" but to say that because of that they can't be used in an argument is moronic.

Look back at my post and notice the word continual pressure. I'm not saying that Peppers isn't a good DE and not a lot of people here would say that either. This is about whether or not he takes plays off, something of which you have no strong argument against and it isn't something that your "official stats" can help with. He may get pressure on the QB now and then, but that doesn't mean he doesn't take plays off, does it?

Ok so other DEs generate more consistent pressure that is fair. Out of those DEs who had a DL as weak as we did in rushing the QB?

Fact is to generate consistent pressure you need a complete package on the DL or a well disguised blitzing scheme. If there is not that compliment across the line then the OL will show the DE one direction and the QB will step into the other. I am impressed by our DEs but we got no pressure up the middle allowing the QB to step up pretty much every game.

Consistent pressure is impossible to achieve just from one position, that comes from a DL that can all rush the passer.

Archived