• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Used Car Question

Niner National

So my girlfriend works for a BMW dealership and she can often get some great deals on used cars.

They have a 2003 BMW 325i with a sport package that she can get for around 7,250, which is a couple thousand below blue book.

I've heard in the past though that BMWs often have a lot of maintenance problems and are very expensive to maintain.

This is the carfax for the car: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=WBAEV33453KL80062&zipCode=

Car listing:

http://www.sonicautomotive.com/used/BMW/2003-BMW-325-95e947290a0a006401bb8b2924d3cd34.htm

Worth buying, or should I pass?

I can't really afford a brand new car, but my Jeep has 228,000 miles on it and I'm looking to replace it.

They have a fully loaded 2004 Nissan Maxima for about the same price with basically the same mileage.

Any recommendations? Should I buy, or not?

I would weary of anything that has been in an accident. It says that it's had pillar damage before. But I mean if everything has been repaired it should be fine. I'm sure it's a great car but the maintenance will be expensive and you're not going to want the dealer to service your car for you because they will rape you and you are not made of money I assume. You need to find a local guy that can work on your car. Or you may run into a situation where you have to get the dealer to work on it because A. Somethings maybe too delicate or B. You can't find a guy or trust a shop to work on your car.

I own a Land Rover Discovery so i have to know these things, though I'm sure the bmw is better engineered than my truck. Looking at the mileage and service record it looks like the car will need some service soon, as in things being replaced. I don't know how long and durable bmw's are but that would be my guess as the service record doesn't seem to list a lot of work done to the car. So be prepared is all I'm saying.

And if you ever decide to work on the vehicle your self you need to get a hold of the service manual for the car as things can be tricky being that it is a foreign vehicle.

all the German cars are expensive to fix....just seems you have to fix an Audi constantly! Never did anything to my BMW for the 2 years I had it other than expensive oil changes, but for synthetic oil, you are going to pay more anyway!

Beamer will be much more expensive to maintain. Nissan and just about all of the Japanese makes have a slew of aftermarket parts that are much more affordable and accessible.

Obviously, the style points are greater with the Beamer, but if you're a baller on a budget, you're best by going with the Nissan

I've found plenty of BMW aftermarket parts that are inexpensive as well.

In the past my dad has always worked on my car, so repair cost would not be a big deal unless BMWs are fundamentally different to work on. I really don't know. I just want a car that I likely won't have to worry about falling apart every couple months.

My current Jeep is a 96 model, has 228,000 miles on it and I've only had problems with it 2 or 3 times. THe most expensive fix was a radiator which cost about $115 dollars. It is now leaking transmission fluid however and I'm growing tired of having to put transmission fluid in it every week or two to keep it at the safe level.

I know there are never any guarantees with used cars that they won't be a piece of poo, but I definitely want to avoid ones that are notorious for problems.

The same dealership had an 03 V6 Honda Accord Coupe that I liked, but it had been in 2 accidents and had 2 owners.

I'm not really picky about brand, these were the only two that really jumped out at me though.

Would a dealership offer a warranty plan on a car this old?

I have had no experience with aftermarket Beamer parts, so I can't speak to their quality or lack thereof.

Just the feedback I've gotten from friends in the auto repair industry is that it takes much more than the at-home mechanic to work on a BMW.

That said, go with what you want, bro.

I have had no experience with aftermarket Beamer parts, so I can't speak to their quality or lack thereof.

Just the feedback I've gotten from friends in the auto repair industry is that it takes much more than the at-home mechanic to work on a BMW.

That said, go with what you want, bro.

That's what I was afraid of.

I'll hold out and wait on a more practical car. I make decent money, but not enough to deal with a car with a high cost of ownership.

Archived