• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The You're about to have a baby thread.

The Saltman

Tips for new parents to help the baby sleep through the night:

(we did this with our son and he was sleeping from 9pm-8am at 2.5 months)

- Do NOT use a bassinette, just don't, if they're in the room with you eventually they'll end up in the bed, which leads to

- Do NOT let the baby sleep in the bed with you no matter how cute/fun it is

- Put the baby to bed at the same time every night, preceded by a bath at the same time every night, it's all about routines at this point

- Do NOT look at, acknowledge, or talk to your baby during night feedings, if you can do this (which is tough) eventually they never fully wake up and can go back to sleep easily

- Do NOT turn on any lights for night feedings, there should be a night light, use that

This information was more valuable than we ever imagined, I got it from my buddy who has triplets, this worked for their 3 and it's really effective when you just have one.

you're lucky but we did all those same things. My daughter still has trouble sleeping, but having all of her teeth come in at 13 months made it a problem.

Great advice Z!!

One thing I suggest that I did at night that worked like a charm was when I picked baby up out of the crib I put a heating pad down in her place so when she was ready to go back to her crib it was nice, warm and cozy. But don't forget to remove the heating pad BEFORE putting baby back to bed! I learned this from an old lady that had 15 kids.

Tips for new parents to help the baby sleep through the night:

(we did this with our son and he was sleeping from 9pm-8am at 2.5 months)

- Do NOT use a bassinette, just don't, if they're in the room with you eventually they'll end up in the bed, which leads to

- Do NOT let the baby sleep in the bed with you no matter how cute/fun it is

- Put the baby to bed at the same time every night, preceded by a bath at the same time every night, it's all about routines at this point

- Do NOT look at, acknowledge, or talk to your baby during night feedings, if you can do this (which is tough) eventually they never fully wake up and can go back to sleep easily

- Do NOT turn on any lights for night feedings, there should be a night light, use that

- Make sure you load up on patience, babies will cry when put in the crib more often than not, especially at first. If you can get past those first few nights of crying/falling asleep life will get easier.

- Buy a video monitor if you can afford it (we JUST got one and we really wish we'd have invested the $$ when he was born)

This information was more valuable than we ever imagined, I got it from my buddy who has triplets, this worked for their 3 and it's really effective when you just have one.

rep!!

you're lucky but we did all those same things. My daughter still has trouble sleeping, but having all of her teeth come in at 13 months made it a problem.

There's always exceptions

It's worked for lots of parents though. Sorry your little girl is still having trouble

I started that same routine with my daughter at 4 months but she still wouldnt sleep. It is a very helpful starting plan but some babies just need to learn how to sleep on their own. Our main problem was that my wife did not want to sleep train our daughter and it cost us valuable sleep time for her and us.

I started that same routine with my daughter at 4 months but she still wouldnt sleep. It is a very helpful starting plan but some babies just need to learn how to sleep on their own. Our main problem was that my wife did not want to sleep train our daughter and it cost us valuable sleep time for her and us.

Just being honest, 4 months was too late. This needs to start on day one if possible.

We had our son in a bassinette for 1 night before we realized that was a dangerous path to be on. Constantly waking up every time the baby cried, sneezed, or made a sound.

If you can put your baby in it's crib the first night home and follow those rules it should work.

Oh and I can't say how amazing video monitors are, we got this one and it's changed our lives

4302_white_0330.jpg

http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/summer-infant/baby-touch-digital-color-video-monitor

my youngest is 10 so we never had the fancy video monitors...just sound. Can't really see the need for video to be honest, but to each their own.

:lol: that's what I said while we used our $15 audio monitor for the past 13 months.

We are in a unique position, my son is already climbing out of his crib so we'll be putting him in a toddler bed next month (he'll be 14 months) and the ability to watch what he's doing is invaluable.

We're really having a tough time with him because he's so tall he can do many things he doesn't have the cognitive ability to understand he shouldn't be doing. For instance, he can reach up on the counters and stove now, but he doesn't understand the concept of "hot". We still teach him anyways, it'll sink in at some point.

Archived