• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL denies report they are trying to keep rookies from NFLPA* events

mav1234

According to Mike Freeman of CBS sports (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/14932366/nfl-attempting-to-sabotage-nflpa-event), the NFL is attempting to prevent rookies from attending the NFLPA event. He claimed this:

One thing in particular has angered agents as well as members of the trade association. One of the lead draft analysts for NFL.com, which is league-owned, has contacted multiple draft prospects and told them not to attend the NFLPA event.

The analyst has called prospects, in some cases, six and seven times, telling them that if they attended the NFLPA event they would not be allowed to attend the NFL Draft and walk on stage with commissioner Roger Goodell.

Greg Aiello (via PFT, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/12/league-denies-effort-to-keep-rookies-from-nflpa-draft-events/ ) claims this is not the case:

“The bottom line is that the league is NOT trying to discourage players from attending NFLPA events,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told PFT via e-mail. “If someone has specific information to the contrary, we would be interested in knowing about it.

“A lead draft analyst for NFL.com that has contacted multiple draft prospects is Gil Brandt,” Aiello added. “He contacts them every year in helping us arrange to invite the top prospects to New York. Gil says he has NOT told any of the invited prospects that they should not attend the NFLPA draft events, which are on the day of the first round and after Thursday night (not prior to the draft). Gil also said he never told any of the players they would not be allowed to attend the draft and walk on stage with the commissioner, as the story claims.”

Wonder who was called 6 or 7 times? Gil Brandt seems big on Newton, wonder if it was him?

Were I an NFLPA lawyer, and even I knew that the NFL was not guilty of any trying to convince players not to attend the NFLPA event, I would still recommend that the NFLPA find a convincing way to accuse the NFL of it. Its a good posturing move. Afterall, there are no repurcussions for the accuser.

If Brandt is the only one who has personally called players, then it *has* to be him. I wonder if he said "wanted to make sure you weren't passing on the Draft to attend the NFLPA events" or something and that got reconstructed as "pass on the NFLPA to attend the draft" or something.

probably some immature soon to be rookie too stupid to realize what the call was about or trying to kiss the NFLPA's azz.

Not calling any one player in particular stupid but it is obvious that some of these current and soon to be players should not have made it out of high school.

Archived