• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Even though we're only 5-9 I feel like this has been of the best seasons ever

Herb

I disagree with the OP. Several of our 7-9 seasons had us in the playoff hunt up until the last game or two. We have no chance at the playoffs and the only thing the team is playing for is pride and a roster spot for next year. I hate to beat a dead horse, but save the Texans who are in a tailspin, the teams we beat are fairly horrible.

It's been exciting if you like like individual player stats. In that regard, I guess this season may qualify, but the main stat of wins and losses, not so much.

I see know the problem with Old huddlers vs. New huddlers. New huddlers see unlimited potential, its like falling in love for the first time, they see a team with few or no flaws. Older huddlers have gone through the highs and lows, and now that they are skeptical of anyone new.

I challenge Old Huddlers to know, it is ok to love again. :grouphug:

When I first fell in love with football, it was during the Steelers heydays!

So...new fans are like a summers eve?

I disagree with the OP. Several of our 7-9 seasons had us in the playoff hunt up until the last game or two. We have no chance at the playoffs and the only thing the team is playing for is pride and a roster spot for next year. I hate to beat a dead horse, but save the Texans who are in a tailspin, the teams we beat are fairly horrible.

It's been exciting if you like like individual player stats. In that regard, I guess this season may qualify, but the main stat of wins and losses, not so much.

To some degree that's true, but we've been in every game except for the Titan's game. New coaches and new QB. Sure, it would've been nice to replicate Harbaughs success in San Fran but realistically too many missing pieces once key defensive personnel got hurt.

A good offense is like a well-oiled machine, see Brady and Co, it takes a year or so to get all the kinks worked out. If we continue to score 20+/game (a number unimagniable to longtime Panther fans), we'll make the playoffs. If we are 8-6 or 9-5 this time next year, this will be a dangerous playoff team.

To some degree that's true, but we've been in every game except for the Titan's game. New coaches and new QB. Sure, it would've been nice to replicate Harbaughs success in San Fran but realistically too many missing pieces once key defensive personnel got hurt.

A good offense is like a well-oiled machine, see Brady and Co, it takes a year or so to get all the kinks worked out. If we continue to score 20+/game (a number unimagniable to longtime Panther fans), we'll make the playoffs. If we are 8-6 or 9-5 this time next year, this will be a dangerous playoff team.

Long time Panther fans will remember the multiple times this team has averaged over 20 points a game. This is not the highest scoring Panther offense. It's not the second highest either. It's one of 8 seasons that the Panthers have averaged more than 20 a game with two other seasons missing my less than half a point.

Long time Panther fans will remember the multiple times this team has averaged over 20 points a game. This is not the highest scoring Panther offense. It's not the second highest either. It's one of 8 seasons that the Panthers have averaged more than 20 a game with two other seasons missing my less than half a point.

Yup, 2010 tranlates to the Panthers never having a good offense. We start scoring over 13 points a game this year and that qualifies the team for greatness. Rivera has a great deal of work to do. We have a team as of now that is competative, but not much more. To reach that next level, MANY things need fixed. I'm not thorwing Rivera under the bus and plan on giving him another couple of seasons to turn things around, but in today's league entirely new staffs have done more with less in their first year. Those are the exceptions rather than the rule and the reason I am being patient. I'm just not so naive to think greatness is just a few tweeks away.

1999 NFL Carolina Panthers 8W 8L 421PS 381PA 40PD Seifert 26.312 average ppg

2008 NFL Carolina Panthers* 12W 4L 414PS 329PA 85PD Fox 25.875 average ppg

2005 NFL Carolina Panthers* 11W 5L 391PS 259PA 132PD Fox 24.437 average ppg

1996 NFL Carolina Panthers* 12W 4L 367PS 218PA 149PD Capers 22.937 average ppg

2004 NFL Carolina Panthers 7W 9L 355PS 339PA 16PD Fox 22.187 average ppg

2011 NFL Carolina Panthers 5W 9L 341PS 368PA -27PD Rivera 24.357 average ppg

6th most points scored (so far) and 4th average ppg with 2 games left

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/

I will say I am left with more hope than any other season, but I like a defensive stand as much as a touchdown. Ohhh and wins so not the best season ever.

1999 NFL Carolina Panthers 8W 8L 421PS 381PA 40PD Seifert 26.312 average ppg

2008 NFL Carolina Panthers* 12W 4L 414PS 329PA 85PD Fox 25.875 average ppg

2005 NFL Carolina Panthers* 11W 5L 391PS 259PA 132PD Fox 24.437 average ppg

1996 NFL Carolina Panthers* 12W 4L 367PS 218PA 149PD Capers 22.937 average ppg

2004 NFL Carolina Panthers 7W 9L 355PS 339PA 16PD Fox 22.187 average ppg

2011 NFL Carolina Panthers 5W 9L 341PS 368PA -27PD Rivera 24.357 average ppg

6th most points scored (so far) and 4th average ppg with 2 games left

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/

I will say I am left with more hope than any other season, but I like a defensive stand as much as a touchdown. Ohhh and wins so not the best season ever.

I remember those years but this is the first time I believe there are significant offensive pieces in place to sustain a 3-4 year run of 20+ points/game.....like New Orleans, New England, etc. Just depends on how Cam develops.

Yup, 2010 tranlates to the Panthers never having a good offense. We start scoring over 13 points a game this year and that qualifies the team for greatness. Rivera has a great deal of work to do. We have a team as of now that is competative, but not much more. To reach that next level, MANY things need fixed. I'm not thorwing Rivera under the bus and plan on giving him another couple of seasons to turn things around, but in today's league entirely new staffs have done more with less in their first year. Those are the exceptions rather than the rule and the reason I am being patient. I'm just not so naive to think greatness is just a few tweeks away.

Oh, I agree, Rivera, Cam and Co all have to continue to improve. Other than the 49ers, I don't know of a team that 's done more with less?? Especially given the defensive woes. Even in the 49ers situation, Alex Smith had a few seasons under his belt. The Bengals had a coaching staff in place...but replacing the coach and QB with a better record than 5-9??? Not sure....but maybe so.

Sure, removing a mistake here or there by coach, Cam, defense or other player (special teams) the Panthers are 9-5 versus 5-9....but saying other coaches have done more with less is a big reach because injuries are a large and uncontrollable variable.

Mistakes such as bad tackling, STs SNAFUs, dumb penalties....TONS, squandering lead after lead for various reasons are all glaring signs of an incomplete team. We will get better, but again, putting up more than 13 points shows nothing more than our offense has improved, it doesn't say this team is on the cusp of a powerhouse. Several things need correcting for that to be in the coversation.

The other Harbuagh, Mike Smith, Marivn Lewis, John Fox (Broncos), Sean Peyton, Rex Ryan, Tony Sparano and to a lesser extent Tomlin and Turner, Garrett (had solid teams in place) ALL had non-losing seasons in their first year as head guys. It is possible to win early and the lowering of expectations because of a team's first year under a new staff is flimsy excuse in today's NFL.

Granted injuries were plentiful, but it seems we are jinxed with that most years than not. It is something you overcome or what one points to veiling failure. As easy as it is to point to the close losses, it's equally easy to point to the trash heap of teams we actually beat.

Mistakes such as bad tackling, STs SNAFUs, dumb penalties....TONS, squandering lead after lead for various reasons are all glaring signs of an incomplete team. We will get better, but again, putting up more than 13 points shows nothing more than our offense has improved, it doesn't say this team is on the cusp of a powerhouse. Several things need correcting for that to be in the coversation.

The other Harbuagh, Mike Smith, Marivn Lewis, John Fox (Broncos), Sean Peyton, Rex Ryan, Tony Sparano and to a lesser extent Tomlin and Turner, Garrett (had solid teams in place) ALL had non-losing seasons in their first year as head guys. It is possible to win early and the lowering of expectations because of a team's first year under a new staff is flimsy excuse in today's NFL.

Granted injuries were plentiful, but it seems we are jinxed with that most years than not. It is something you overcome or what one points to veiling failure. As easy as it is to point to the close losses, it's equally easy to point to the trash heap of teams we actually beat.

Man, I want to win em all, but the continuity just wasn't there....seems to be getting better, dont you think?

Archived