• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jim Harbaugh COTY

g5jamz

Here is my take on the JR, Jim Harbaugh situation...

Remember when Darin Gantt was certain the Panthers had made overtures to Harbaugh? He stuck to that even after the Panthers denied it.

I think Jerry made the smart ass comment about Harbaugh because they had, in fact, reached out to Harbaugh and he told the Panthers he wasn't interested.

Nuff said.

I don't think it is "Nuff said".

I know most of you saw the San Fran, New Orleans game Saturday.

How many times could the 49ers with a 1st year head coach have tried to back into a win and settle for a FG here or a FG there and tried for the safe points today?

Harbaugh could have tried to just play it safe, but he went for the win not once but twice today and he won.

So many teams in the NFL would have played for Field Goals, and made the safe calls all the way... and tried to back into a win. And they would have lost. Does anyone here see the difference? Happens all the time in the NFL.

Until teams find a coach like Harbaugh who play for the win again and again with NO FEAR of losing; they'll never win more than 4 to 6 games a year or less. And if they get on the grand stage and eek into the playoffs, they'll lose. Guys like Pat Shurmur, Steve spagnuolo, etc showed me this past year they nothing but coaches who plays a loser brand of football time and again when the game is on the line. They cost me $ because they lost games they should have won because they have no balls.

Don't give me the 1st year head coach BS. Harbaugh is such a great head coach, most people who follow the NFL can't even imagine having a guy like that who breeds winning. Don't give me "oh they're so much more talented" Bullshit. It's a few great players on defense but for the most part they're just a bunch of guys predicted to be 6-10 or 7-9 this year and no one would have been shocked.

Losing teams continue to just settle for those field goals here and field goals there and then everyone wonders why they end up the joke or with the egg on their face. Time and again the more I watch football the more I realize some teams around the NFL just play "not to lose" football and hope for the best. Play the percentages, and then they get beat. Their worst fears come to a head. I am so glad we are not one of those many teams. We are one of the few with stones. To be bold at our hour of no reckoning. And we'll succeed. And that's why we're dangerous.

What a game today. That's how football is meant to be played win or lose. Only made possible by two coaches going for it all the best they can, no restraint; if you make a mistake and it kills you at least you went down firing your best bullett. NO one can fault you with that.

Harbaugh has shown he is a great coach. He has gotten the best out of guys like Alex Smith and Vernon Davis.

Our offense is more talented imo, but that defense is loaded. The Smiths up front, Willis and Bowman at LB, Rogers and Goldson and Whitner in the secondary...talent wise on D they are better than we are even when our guys are all healthy.

We just need to develop some balance. Improve through the draft/FA at least 2 positions on D, and get Beason back healthy, and we should be able to compete with them or anyone else.

He is a fine coach.

I hope JR and Co. made the right choice.

At this moment, I'm not sure.

Guess time will tell.

Let's be real, Harbaugh had more to work with when he got to the 49ers. That team was ranked where the Panthers team is now in next year's draft, so that means they weren't as bad as the Panthers were last season.

Pretty much all Jim had to do was fix whatever problems Alex had and build his and the other players' confidence as a team and it worked. And I do believe that the 49ers even had a chance to make it to the play-offs last season. Something the Panthers hasn't been close to a minute.

Rivera had more work to do with the Panthers. He had to deal with a rookie QB and getting the rest of the team and vets to trust him as a leader. Plus, he had to deal with a defense that really wasn't as strong nor deep as previously assumed.

I say Jim's job was a lot easier. Plus Jim has a father and brother who are both coaches. He has a built in system that he trusts who can help him see the things he cannot with his team. Don't know if Rivera is as fortunate.

And I will add to that, that the Harbaugh brothers play with fire in their bellies. They are risk/reward coaches. They are not afraid to take a chance and go for the win instead of simply settling for a ties and they are consistant with it. Anyone who watched the last minute and 1/2 of last nights game could see that.

How many coaches would have simply gone for the FG and settled for sending their team into OT against the Saints last night? Instead Jim trusted Alex and the receivers that they could end the Saints season with a td in regulation and it paid off. When a coach builds up the confidence of a team like that, nine-out-of-ten times, they will walk away with the win.

Sadly, there are way to many inconsistant coaches in the NFL.

Let's be real, Harbaugh had more to work with when he got to the 49ers. That team was ranked where the Panthers team is now in next year's draft, so that means they weren't as bad as the Panthers were last season.

Pretty much all Jim had to do was fix whatever problems Alex had and build his and the other players' confidence as a team and it worked. And I do believe that the 49ers even had a chance to make it to the play-offs last season. Something the Panthers hasn't been close to a minute.

Rivera had more work to do with the Panthers. He had to deal with a rookie QB and getting the rest of the team and vets to trust him as a leader. Plus, he had to deal with a defense that really wasn't as strong nor deep as previously assumed.

I say Jim's job was a lot easier. Plus Jim has a father and brother who are both coaches. He has a built in system that he trusts who can help him see the things he cannot with his team. Don't know if Rivera is as fortunate.

And I will add to that, that the Harbaugh brothers play with fire in their bellies. They are risk/reward coaches. They are not afraid to take a chance and go for the win instead of simply settling for a ties and they are consistant with it. Anyone who watched the last minute and 1/2 of last nights game could see that.

How many coaches would have simply gone for the FG and settled for sending their team into OT against the Saints last night? Instead Jim trusted Alex and the receivers that they could end the Saints season with a td in regulation and it paid off. When a coach builds up the confidence of a team like that, nine-out-of-ten times, they will walk away with the win.

Sadly, there are way to many inconsistant coaches in the NFL.

I disagree...it all starts with the QB. It's not like he stepped into a situation where the QB has had established OCs for his career and something to build off of. No. Harbaugh had to completely rebuild the offense around a QB that everyone had completely written off. Quick show of hands...who drafted Alex Smith in their fantasy football league.

As far as the defense goes, yes...he had a defense with Willis/Justin Smith/ an and a gem in Aldon Smith. They lost Clements but didn't miss a beat.

Crabtree has been a headcase and inconsistent...as was Davis early. Gore is a stalwart. As far as your Rivera comparisons, if Rivera would have had to come in and build his program (if we had not gotten Newton...remember...you compared where we were last year in the draft) around Clausen, you believe he would have any success?

I'm a homer just like anyone else, but Harbaugh should/will win COTY but I don't let my homerism cloud logic.

Archived