• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes Sweep Bruins

jb_online

Game 4 was a 47 save shutout by Cam Ward as the last place Hurricanes put the final nail in the defending Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins. It is the first time in franchise history that the Canes/Whalers have swept Boston.

GOALS (assists): Staal (Tlusty, Spacek), Ruutu (Sutter, Stewart), Sutter (Nodl)

SOG/SAVES: Rask 28/31, Ward 47/47

Penalties: BOS 4, CAR 2

Suck it Boston.

I'll tell you what; there was a lot to be happy about last night.

Cam Ward was an AMAZING MONSTER BEAST

The team played really well last night and with the win, we still hold on to a 10% chance (in my opinion of making it to the postseason). I have been a huge advocate of Cam Ward forever and last night proved that when Cam sees the shots coming, he is near impossible to beat. There are only a handful of players that I can think of that can beat Cam purely on their shot release, shot power, and shot accuracy (John Tavares and Evgeni Malkin come to mind). Cam showed me last night that as long as the defense can prevent traffic out in front of the net, he will be able to make the save; no matter how many shots he faces. Cam only really gets in trouble on deflections and on fast break chances/breakaways. Now someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Wardo became second on the list for the record of "Most Shots Saved In a Shutout of A Regular Season Game" (Craig Anderson: 53, Cam Ward: 47).

Ward's Stat Line: 47 shots against, 47 saves, 100% save percentage

Also of note, I think Sutter, Ruutu, and Spacek played extremely well tonight.

Sutter was amazing, he was all over the place: scoring goals, creating turnovers, getting into skirmishes, and frustrating the Bruins. He had a nice goal in the third that sealed the deal after his assist on Tuomo Ruutu's goal earlier in the second.

Sutter's Stat Line: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points, +2, 2 shots on goal, 1 takeaway

Ruutu had a highlight reel goal because of his willingness to drive the net, look for rebounds, and his patience once he collected the loose puck. Ruutu also played bully in the game last night as he had to throw his weight around to let the Bruins know that they won't be able to intimidate us with hits.

Ruutu's Stat Line: 1 goal, 1 point, +2, 1 shot on goal, 3 hits

Spacek may have played his best game in a long time last night. At his age, it is a wonder he came back from getting blasted in the ear with the puck last night. However, he came back and he came back stronger and better than ever. He was making great passes, playing passing lanes, blocking shots, and making hits. I think he may have been the best defender on the team last night.

Spacek's Stat Line: 1 assist, 1 point, +1, 4 shots on goal, 2 blocked shots, 1 hit

Archived