• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Hill

teeray

I haven't been sold on the WR corps consisting of Lafell, Gettis, Pilares, and AE if Smitty goes down from an injury. Not sure if this guy solves that problem but WR seems to me like a position where there is a ticking time bomb waiting to fug all of our hopes and dreams each season.

I haven't been sold on the WR corps consisting of Lafell, Gettis, Pilares, and AE if Smitty goes down from an injury. Not sure if this guy solves that problem but WR seems to me like a position where there is a ticking time bomb waiting to f**k all of our hopes and dreams each season.

of course you're not sold.. it's not uncommon for you people to assume a players ceiling has already been hit so early in their career..

Shockey(maybe) and Olsen, Gettis, LaFell.. plus a top 5 run game? not as scary as you think.. and since we are playing the hypothetical game, if Smitty gets hurt.. then obviously we have to assume Gettis and LaFell could possibly get hurt.. and then how are we going to run an offense with Pilares, AE, and the new draft pick? who are all probly going to get hurt as well...

but if we found someone in FA or did happen to draft a nice prospect, I won't be all that mad, unless we skip out on defense for someone who turns out ineffective..

Shockey and Olsen, Gettis, LaFell.. plus a top 5 run game? not as scary as you might think.. not scary enough to warrant WR at the top of our list anyhow..

but if we found someone in FA or did happen to draft a nice prospect, I won't be all that mad, unless we skip out on defense for someone who turns out ineffective..

No still scary. Smitty commands respect from the defense when he is on the field. Shockey, Olsen, Gettis, and LaFell have not showed they deserve respect from opposing teams defenses. Suddenly that top 5 running team will be struggling when opponents have less to worry about in the passing game. Cam will be doing more trying to carry the load before he is truly ready and we have the makings of an ugly season. However it would be a good opportunity for one of the young guys to step up and fill that void of true number 2 WR and future number 1 on the roster.

At least in my opinion.

of course you're not sold.. it's not uncommon for you people to assume a players ceiling has already been hit so early in their career..

1. Why you subtly attacking me?

2. No where did I say the young players have already hit their full potential. However they haven't shown they could carry the load of being a number 1 or number 2 yet. LaFell being the closest we have to a number 2 so far. Gettis is a major unknown. Flashes of potential mixed in with major knee injury and no time in this system or playing with our QB. AE ... yeah. Pilares hasn't had much opportunity on the field.

3. I also said that I'm not sure this guy is the answer. I just don't feel like WR is as solid or less of a need as others think of it.

Hidden

No still scary. Smitty commands respect from the defense when he is on the field. Shockey, Olsen, Gettis, and LaFell have not showed they deserve respect from opposing teams defenses. Suddenly that top 5 running team will be struggling when opponents have less to worry about in the passing game. Cam will be doing more trying to carry the load before he is truly ready and we have the makings of an ugly season. However it would be a good opportunity for one of the young guys to step up and fill that void of true number 2 WR and future number 1 on the roster.

At least in my opinion.

a few problems with that opinion..

-that same running game has put up the same numbers with or without a QB.. now we have a QB and our run game is going to fall off?

-a rookie WR who has yet to play a down in the NFL is going to demand respect and take over Smitty's production, yet receiving talents who have proven to be positive contributors in Olsen, LaFell, and Gettis cannot?

I do like LaFell. I do think he will be our legit number 2 this year. Just when Smitty either leaves or finally shows he is human and ages, I'm a little scared with what our WR corps beside him has shown so far to be able to do.

Do you think LaFell or Gettis will be a true number 1 when Smitty is done?

At least in my opinion.

-that same running game has put up the same numbers with or without a QB.. now we have a QB and our run game is going to fall off?

-what rookie WR who has yet to play a down in the NFL is going to demand respect and take over Smitty's production, yet receiving talents who have proven to be positive contributors in Olsen, LaFell, and Gettis cannot?

1. Why you subtly attacking me?

2. No where did I say the young players have already hit their full potential. However they haven't shown they could carry the load of being a number 1 or number 2 yet. LaFell being the closest we have to a number 2 so far. Gettis is a major unknown. Flashes of potential mixed in with major knee injury and no time in this system or playing with our QB. AE ... yeah. Pilares hasn't had much opportunity on the field.

3. I also said that I'm not sure this guy is the answer. I just don't feel like WR is as solid or less of a need as others think of it.

so as I pointed out in your 1st post, I can't help but to show the obvious holes in some people's logic. But why you? the gods told me to... I realize you may not appreciate my altruistic desire to help elevate our fanbase, but it is necessary.. And yes I agree with you, there is sooo much work to be done...

but when people's only solid point is "what if Smitty gets hurt, what then?".. well, outside of Blackmon, what's your point? lol

I do like LaFell. I do think he will be our legit number 2 this year. Just when Smitty either leaves or finally shows he is human and ages, I'm a little scared with what our WR corps beside him has shown so far to be able to do.

Do you think LaFell or Gettis will be a true number 1 when Smitty is done?

so now the question isn't about what if Smitty gets hurt, but who will be his successor?

I have a question for you.. can you give me a year to answer that and be okay if we focus on our defense this year?

I guess my original point is do not let fear drive you. 1st of all, you are irrelevant to the decisions being made. 2nd of all, it's nearly impossible to find NFL caliber starters at every single position without having a little fear somewhere.. Lastly, how can you be so fearful of the WR position while ignoring the glaring holes elsewhere on the team?

just curious..

good answer.

I meant with putting more emotion into this conversation. Not that I agree with what you are saying.

-what rookie WR who has yet to play a down in the NFL is going to demand respect and take over Smitty's production, yet receiving talents who have proven to be positive contributors in Olsen, LaFell, and Gettis cannot?

That running game did fall off the year before when we had no passing game. If we lose Smitty and our passing game takes a huge hit with LaFell and Gettis not being able to fill his shoes, it has potential to drop again.

Again I haven't said a rookie WR is the answer.

so as I pointed out in your 1st post, I can't help but to show the obvious holes in some people's logic. But why you? the gods told me to... I realize you may not appreciate my altruistic desire to help elevate our fanbase, but it is necessary.. And yes I agree with you, there is sooo much work to be done...

More attacks? Why?

but when people's only solid point is "what if Smitty gets hurt, what then?".. well, outside of Blackmon, what's your point? lol

No where have I said a rookie WR is the answer. My point has always been I have less faith in our WR corp outside of Smitty than others. I view it is a more of a need than others think it is. And until our current WR prove it otherwise will still view the passing game as one injury to Smitty away from causing us huge problems.

so now the question isn't about what if Smitty gets hurt, but who will be his successor?

I have a question for you.. can you give me a year to answer that and be okay if we focus on our defense this year?

I think the majority of FA and this years draft should be getting talent on defense. I however don't think we should pass on someone that can help our offense if he is available in FA or best player available at the time of our 2nd or later pick.

I guess my original point is do not let fear drive you. 1st of all, you are irrelevant to the decisions being made. 2nd of all, it's nearly impossible to find NFL caliber starters at every single position without having a little fear somewhere.. Lastly, how can you be so fearful of the WR position while ignoring the glaring holes elsewhere on the team?

I never said to ignore our huge needs on defense. I posted in a thread talking about a rookie WR saying I'm not comfortable with our WR corp outside of Smitty. I didn't say let's focus on offense this off season.

I personally would like to see DT or CB drafted with first pick than bpa afterwards. I don't like the idea of picking a defensive player each pick afterwards just because that is our biggest need. After the first round I would be happy with CB, DT, LB, OT, or WR depending on who the coaches and FO feel is the best available player. I don't really think we will be active in FA with our cap problems.

All of this is my opinion about the team. Our opinions don't seem to be the same. I respect yours. Come draft time or FA time, I won't be mad if a WR is picked up. I'll be disappointed if they don't address the D this off season.

I see what Kool Kat is saying, but if you want Hill to be a #1 this year, it aint happening. Hill has the tools to be a Calvin Johnson--that good. He needs a year to develop, like most WRs do. If you wait to draft a WR when you need a #1, then you are limited to the first two or three in the first round. Then they start at #1 as rookies. If Hill drops to the second round, you take him, develop him.

A lot of people are thinking we would have to drop a current WR. NO. We rotate all 4. This is not FOX ball. This offense likes big, fast WRs. Taking a future stud in the second round reduces risk and insures your future.

You put Hill in the offense at Arkansas or Oklahoma and he is a 75 catch, 1200 yard WR. He is unheard of because he played in an oprtion offense with a QB who is basically a RB.

Why in the hell would we waste a 2nd round pick on a non starter at a position where we have 3-4 young wr?

Plus you add in the fact we can't stop 3rd and 13.

Hidden

I meant with putting more emotion into this conversation. Not that I agree with what you are saying.

/sarcasm..

That running game did fall off the year before when we had no passing game. If we lose Smitty and our passing game takes a huge hit with LaFell and Gettis not being able to fill his shoes, it has potential to drop again.

:lol: we were 3rd in the league rushing..

No where have I said a rookie WR is the answer. My point has always been I have less faith in our WR corp outside of Smitty than others. I view it is a more of a need than others think it is. And until our current WR prove it otherwise will still view the passing game as one injury to Smitty away from causing us huge problems.

you're right.. your concerns still exist if we draft a rookie WR, and as you pointed out our cap will keep us from bringing in a FA worth talking about...

Again I haven't said a rookie WR is the answer.

More attacks? Why?

That's your problem you have brought no reason to have no faith in the other wr on this roster. Let's say Smith gets hurt next year why does a rookie wr have a better chance to help us then 3-4 guys who are already on the roster.

I think the majority of FA and this years draft should be getting talent on defense. I however don't think we should pass on someone that can help our offense if he is available in FA or best player available at the time of our 2nd or later pick.

How is a rookie going to help the 5th best offense better then a full offseason and a better defense?

I never said to ignore our huge needs on defense. I posted in a thread talking about a rookie WR saying I'm not comfortable with our WR corp outside of Smitty. I didn't say let's focus on offense this off season.

Again why is that? It's not like they were playing with Brady their rookie season. They played with Jimmy "freaking" Clausen and still put up better # then Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, and Plaxico Burress did their 1st year. So why are you so uncertain of these guys?

I personally would like to see DT or CB drafted with first pick than bpa afterwards. I don't like the idea of picking a defensive player each pick afterwards just because that is our biggest need. After the first round I would be happy with CB, DT, LB, OT, or WR depending on who the coaches and FO feel is the best available player. I don't really think we will be active in FA with our cap problems.

Take a look at this draft you can pick up starter CB and DT and even LB in the 2nd round.

All of this is my opinion about the team. Our opinions don't seem to be the same. I respect yours. Come draft time or FA time, I won't be mad if a WR is picked up. I'll be disappointed if they don't address the D this off season.

The Opinion thing is right we have different Opinions of this team. Hopefully my opinions proves right. If the WR on our Roster develop into the player I think and The FO think they can be it's nothing but a win win situation.

I just said he could play #4 WR next year, so he would not have to beat them out. In 2013, he will beat Smith out if he gets coached up. He would be learning routes and reading coverages. There are certain positions that take time. I think Hill has the tools to develop into a star and he needs to be developed. If you draft for next year only, you miss the point of the draft. Most talent takes time to develop. He will sign a 3-4 year contract, right?

This is where we disagree. I think Lafell and Gettis can be stars if giving time to develop. Since they are already on the roster it's better for the team if they do. Instead of going thru the same Process again.

Archived